• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Don't forget to drop a review on iTunes for the podcast sometime or send a donation in for the show.

Main Menu

Hasbro Star Wars "Black Series" Figures

Started by Rico, February 02, 2013, 07:20:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rico

Saw this on our Facebook group posted by Eric and wanted to share it here too.  Looks like Hasbro is starting a cool new line of 6" action figures called the "Black Series."  These look pretty sweet and might get me back collecting action figures once again.

Star Wars action figures are growing up with their audience.

After 35 years of fantastic plastic standing tall in pop culture at 3¾ inches, Hasbro is releasing the Star Wars Black Series this year, beginning a new set of 6-inch figures that will feature more articulation and an increased attention to detail.

Priced at $19.99 each, eight figures are planned for 2013 — Hasbro will primarily draw characters from the original Star Wars trilogy of films while also bringing in key players from the prequels.

The first wave of four, due out in early to mid-August, includes Luke Skywalker in his X-Wing Fighter flight suit, fan-favorite droid R2-D2, bad guy Darth Maul and an Imperial Sandtrooper.

"We consider them the best figures that Hasbro's ever produced for Star Wars that meets the sensibilities of romancing the character as well as the playability and poseability that fans really appreciate," says Derryl DePriest, Hasbro vice president of boys marketing.

Hasbro has had success with the scale before with the 6-inch Marvel Legends figures based on Marvel Comics heroes and villains. In terms of Star Wars, though, the Black Series will act as a transitional point between the 3¾-inch toys — "which is rooted in the childhood memories of generations of now-grown kids," DePriest says — and the 12-inch Sideshow Collectibles figures for adult collectors.

The current "vintage"-style line of 3¾ figures will also continue under the Black Series banner.

In creating something new and different with Star Wars, the color black became an inspiration for toy designers, DePriest says. "It's one of the main colors of Star Wars all the way back to the beginning, and it's the approach that Lucasfilm has taken with their collector-oriented product line. We're bringing that simplicity and essence and focus on the character now to the toy aisle."

The Black Series appeals to those newbies who want to start a series from the start as well as those hardcore collectors who gobble up anything having to do with the words "Jedi" or "Empire" and "are looking for something new and their interest isn't as piqued by the 15th cantina alien we have yet to do," DePriest says. "We realize folks want their iconic characters delivered up in a new way."

With Star Wars: Episode VII coming from new Star Wars director J.J. Abrams in a couple of years, as well as comics, novels and other media adding to the universe George Lucas started in 1977, it's a good time to figure out different scales and toys for the next generation of Star Wars fan, according to DePriest.

Before then, however, the Black Series also gives a chance for parents to connect with their own little Star Wars fans.

"Our focus here is the adult collector, the dad," DePriest says. "We know they have their own generation of youngsters they like to share the adventure with. It can be something for dad, and the 3¾ world can be something for the kids to share."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2013/01/29/hasbro-star-wars-black-series-action-figure-toys/1872035/

jedijeff

I am looking forward to this line, as 6 inch figures would be great. I want to get the R2-D2 for sure, but probably get the rest as well. Would be nice if they don't release the waves to quickly and limit how many they do each year.

Bryancd

I am so going to collect these for my son!

ChrisMC

Picked up the Sandtrooper in this line today, also saw the Luke, R2, and Maul figure. They have lots of accessories and articulation. With this guy, he looks awesome with the extra stuff on and without it, and comes with 3 guns. Probably gonna pick the rest up, I like the 6 inch size. The retail is great. 
Check out our Classic BSG podcast! http://ragtagfugitivepodcast.com/

Rico

Where did you find him?  Was the price $20?

ChrisMC

Got him at Target. Yep, they were 20 bucks. I was at Toys R Us today and they didn't have them. 

Bryancd

jedijeff

I have been avoiding the stores because of these, went to Walmart the other day and made sure not to venture to the toy aisle as I feel if I see these I am going to buy them. I am probably just delaying the inevitable... That Sandtrooper looks pretty sweet, and I am pretty sure if I see R2-D2 I will pick him up.

Meds

Ours are more expensive here coming in at £20 about £6 more than in the US. Wave 2 comes out in December here, wave 1 out on 15th August.

Rico

Dropped by Target today and found Darth Maul and R2-D2.  Only bought the Maul.  Tried Toys R Us too but they had nothing in this line yet.  Not sure how many I'll be picking up at $20. per fig but they are nice!

jedijeff

Cool Rico, Yesterday a friend of mine dragged me out to look for these. Fortunately for my wallet I did not find any as all sold out where we went. Since they are first wave, I suspect sooner or later they will be in abundance.

ChrisMC

The Emperor is in my head.  "You want this..."

Bought the Luke though.

ChrisMC

Unboxed.

Bryancd

I have the R2, Maul, and Luke with the Sandtrooper on the way. I think these figures are great and give me a chance to get back into figure collecting with a fresh, new line. I am keeping them in box as i plan on saving them for Jensen one day if he has an interest in STAR WARS like his old man. The figures look great, I am surprised none of you got the R2 yet, he might be the best of the first wave with his accessories and features. Wave 2 looks great with Han, Greedo, Boba Fett, and Slave Leia, although I am going to skip the Slave Leia, not really interested in being a completest and that figure.

http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodinfo.asp?number=HSA4301B

Bryancd