• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Don't forget to drop a review on iTunes for the podcast sometime or send a donation in for the show.

Main Menu

Star Wars Spin Off Movies

Started by Geekyfanboy, November 28, 2012, 12:17:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geekyfanboy

http://blastr.com/2012/11/disney-might-already-be-w.php?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Disney might already be working on Star Wars spinoff films

We already knew that Disney has hired a stable of writers to put together some future Star Wars films—but apparently those might not be the sequels we were expecting.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, previously hired writers Lawrence Kasdan (The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi) and Simon Kinberg (Sherlock Holmes, X-Men: First Class) might be working on spinoff films as opposed to the "proper" Star Wars Episodes: VIII-IX.

When Kinberg and Kasdan were hired, everyone assumed they were working on the next two episodes of the sequel trilogy. But now it looks like Disney is taking a page out of its Avengers playbook, and could be setting up some films set in the Star Wars universe to increase its output with the franchise.

It makes sense they'd want to capitalize as much as possible on the brand with extra films and release one every few years as previously mentioned, and if it's done well it could mean a ton of new stories to expand the existing canon. If it stinks, then it's a moot point anyway.

But the report also notes these spinoffs could become full-fledged sequels to the Skywalker journey down the line, so it seems Disney has yet to nail down its exact strategy.

Meds

So if this is true will they be taking any of the spin off books into account? Now I have never read any Star wars book (apart from the New Hope book back in 1980) so anything they bring out will be new for me but I wonder if people will get upset if these things are ignored or even changed? Even though I have my issues with SW I am very excited about Disney taking the reigns and bringing us some new films. All I hope is they use some models and not just use CGI.

Exciting times for Sci Fi fans.

ChrisMC

I'm pretty sure they may cherry pick from the books, but it's not going to be the gospel. It's way too convoluted.
Check out our Classic BSG podcast! http://ragtagfugitivepodcast.com/

Bryancd

Yeah, mining the EU for ideas, story, characters, and locations has precedent in the CLONE WARS so no reason that trend won't continue into both the films and and spin off projects.

WillEagle

I'll watch as many as they put out. I would still love a Boba Fett movie!