• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Make sure to join the Treks in Sci-Fi group on Facebook.

Main Menu

Back to the Future - The Game

Started by Beatleboy, November 13, 2011, 10:55:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beatleboy

Has anyone tried the new Back to the Future video game?  I'd like to hear a review from anyone other than reading about it in a computer magazine.   :)
Tuned to a Natural E.  Happy to be that way.

QuadShot

I played a beta version of it. It's not bad, wouldn't pay more than a few $$ for it though.

Beatleboy

Thanks for the info.  I'll save what little money I have.  I just saw the official release online for about $25.00.  That's too expensive for me right now.  I have to save my pennies.  I've been limiting myself to the free stuff available on the Mac App Store.

Jobydrone

I'd say it's a must buy if you're a fan of the movies.  It's as close to a true sequel as we're ever going to get, even though I've heard rumors of a series reboot coming down the pike.  Christopher Lloyd as Doc is so iconic, and does a phenominal job, and the voice actor who does Marty is really good too, almost indistinguishable from a young Michael J Fox. 

I'm pretty sure you can get the first chapter for free on the iPad and PC/Mac, at least you used to be able to, so there's no harm in checking it out.  Also keep an eye out for promotional pricing, as Telltale is getting ready to release their next big game based on the Jurassic Park series.  So there might be some good sales soon to draw people to their website.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Jobydrone

Here's the review I posted in my "Ten Best Games of 2010" thread from late last year:

Back To the Future: The Game (PC/Mac)

Telltale Games is a studio that does one thing, and the one thing they do is great.  They are single-handedly keeping the point and click adventure genre alive and relevant in today's increasingly crowded gaming world.  Anyone that played video games through the 90's remembers the fantastic adventure games like Grim Fandango, Tales From Monkey Island, Myst, and countless others.  As gaming evolved in the 21st century, the humor and story focus of these types of games gave way to more visceral experiences intent more on delivering graphical fidelity and pulse pounding excitement.  Telltale's Back To the Future: the Game picks up about six months after the end of BTTF 3.  When out of nowhere, the time travelling Delorean returns with an ominous message from Doc Brown, Marty McFly is thrust into yet another adventure through time as he travels to prohibition era 1930's Hill Valley.  All our beloved characters are here, including George McFly, the evil Biff Tannen, good old Doc Brown (voiced again by Christopher Lloyd who seems to be having the time of his life with this role) and of course Marty, whose voice actor sounds so much like the Michael J Fox from '85 that you would swear the developers had a time machine of their own.  The game is being released in five chapters, one a month, so you pay full price now for the first part and get the rest as they are released incrementally.  Bob Gale, one of the writers of the original trilogy, was heavily consulted in creating the story for this game which seems as authentic and interesting as Back to the Future 4 might have been if they ever made it.  Super fun fan service.

"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

KingIsaacLinksr

If the iPad version is anything to go by, don't get it.  It was pretty terrible not to mention expensive.  Haven't seen such a badly tested game on the iPad...

King
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

Beatleboy

Thanks to all of you.  I will scout online for the free version (if it's still out there) and check it out.  They say if you can't find something online, you haven't looked hard enough.   :)

Unfortunately, I don't have an iPad yet, but when I get one, I'll steer clear of this game.  It would be fun to see how it does on my Mac Pro.

KingIsaacLinksr

It might be better on PC, I never tried it out, but definitely test before you buy :)

King
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

Dangelus

Currently games are half price in the app store, 1st game free.

Been playing and love it! Well voiced, with great soundalikes and the real Christopher Lloyd. Great story too.

Jobydrone

The same company that made this is releasing the "Walking Dead" game in a couple weeks.  It will be much like this game was, split up into five chapters released in episodes monthly now until the end of the summer.  Can't wait!!!

Dangelus

Quote from: Jobydrone on April 14, 2012, 10:02:18 AM
The same company that made this is releasing the "Walking Dead" game in a couple weeks.  It will be much like this game was, split up into five chapters released in episodes monthly now until the end of the summer.  Can't wait!!!

Interesting!