• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Podcast # 893 is now up covering TV Themes

Main Menu

Star Wars: The Clone Wars Season 4

Started by Geekyfanboy, April 13, 2011, 02:16:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ori-STUDFARM

Did you listen to the latest Forcecast...or maybe the Clone wars Round Table Bryan?

In that, the theory was voiced that the Naboo hole Maul fell into could have been a garbage chute similar to Cloud City. Then it is a short step for the garbage to be collected and delivered to a garbage planet.

Bryancd

Quote from: ori-STUDFARM on March 18, 2012, 02:35:13 PM
Did you listen to the latest Forcecast...or maybe the Clone wars Round Table Bryan?

In that, the theory was voiced that the Naboo hole Maul fell into could have been a garbage chute similar to Cloud City. Then it is a short step for the garbage to be collected and delivered to a garbage planet.

I did and honestly, that's the most cogent argument I have heard yet as to how he could survive the fall and then end up on this distant planet without anyone helping him. I can accept the idea that the wound in and of itself might not have killed him at least immediately but he needs to survive the plunges and get off Naboo and this theory passes the initial sniff test.

Dangelus

Quote from: Bryancd on March 18, 2012, 02:01:14 PM
Quote from: Dangelus on March 18, 2012, 01:45:13 PM

I know you disagree with me but I don't know why. I mostly get "I like it and that's all I care about" feel from you and that's fine. Not everybody enjoys debating. This is where I get the perceptions of your feelings. I am confused with hostility of your last sentence though.

Oh, I just take a bit of umbrage when someone I may not know well on a more personal makes a judgement call on what me feelings are...which you just did again. :) But always rest assured I don't honestly take anything personally or to heart and in general simply move on and forget about it. Do enjoy a good row now and again as well. And you don't even watch the show and are clearly here to simply make mischief.  :boxing

Ok. Last rebuttal on here I promise as you are correct I don't watch the show and my comments are purely off topic and not about the show directly.

On your comments about me making judgment calls about you, well we all make these every day. It is impossible not to. In the real world when your are looking and talking to someone you have a lot more to go on but in this environment of a forum dialogue I agree it is much less accurate but impossible to avoid. You can't avoid people having perceptions of who you are based on how you conduct yourself. The only way would be not to type anything ;)

I didn't come on here to make mischief either. I read a lot more threads than I feel the need to comment on but in this instance I felt that Tim was being treated unfairly for his opinion being "negative". He gave specific examples of what he didn't like and in what way it could have (his his opinion) worked better.

He got some responses. Some people respond taking up the points and defend their position. This is great and very healthy. Some keep quiet. This is ok too. If you don't have anything to add this is an honourable stance. You just decided to try to shut him down, literally telling him not to post on this topic anymore, "don't let the door hit your ass" etc. WTF?! Not helpful, not big, not clever.

These sort of responses only seem to happen on Star Wars threads where a small minority of Star Wars "fans" just can't comprehend that there are people out there there that enjoy Star Wars but want to tear it apart, expose and discuss it's problems on a forum just like every other TV show or movie we talk about here! If you don't want to, have nothing to add, that's fine, don't read, don't comment!

Oh and the icing on the cake are those who chime in with their "virtual pat on the back comments" but can't be bothered to make a real contribution, not even to hate on the "negative" poster. "Oh Wow John Doe, Well done for supporting our Star Wars, you rock, you're the bee's knees, couldn't have see it better myself!"  :ohmy

I'm done talking Star Wars on the forum you'll be glad to know, for these reasons.

Rico

Hmmmm......

Ok, some of you certainly are taking this a lot more seriously than I would think would have been the case.  One thing to always keep in mind here is posting something on a forum is pretty darn permanent and can easily be misinterpreted.  Unless of course you later edit things or remove them and so forth.  I'm going to take a shot here and specifically focus on some things I'm seeing with certain people and comments.  I typically don't usually do this, but in this case I think maybe I should.

First Tim...
Like I said before Tim, I think some of your comments do come off at times as facts and I think people get bothered by that simple fact.  You also have to understand that when you post strong opinions like you did (especially on this type of subject), you are going to take some heat.  My advice, just state things like "these are my views" and move on.  You shouldn't really feel the need to defend your viewpoint unless you want to do that.

Bryan...
I understand your viewpoint and personality but I think others are having a problem with it.  To some it comes off a bit rough.  It is sometimes difficult to see if you are joking or serious or somewhere in between.  I know this is a subject you feel strongly about, but attacking what other's think might not be the best way to handle things.

Dan...
I think some of your last comments confuse me the most of all.  Especially things like commenting on the people commenting and not the subject matter itself.  Your statements like, "can't be bothered to make a real contribution" bother me a great deal.  I really don't appreciate how that reflects on anyone who decides to post on the forum.  I really am bothered by this type of response here.

I probably could say more, but I'll leave it at this for now.  I've tried to mainly stay out of this "discussion."  I've been tempted to chime in more and perhaps even close the thread but I was trying to let people work things out.  I'm debating about even posting what I just wrote or not too.  I hope you guys can understand my intentions in posting this.  I'm trying to "moderate" and mention things that I see from an outside viewpoint.  I hope you will all take these comments in that way.  Keep in mind this discussion is simply about an animated TV series.  And with that in mind, it might have gone a little overboard.  At least, that's my point of view.

Dangelus

Rico,

As you have directly responded to my comments I will respond on this subject even though I said I'd refrain from this subject.

I made it clear I was not following the series and my comments did not comment on the show itself because of this. I did feel that I needed to speak out because I felt somebody was being bullied into not sharing their opinion.
Are we not allowed to comment on perceived injustices written here?

I'm sorry to say in my opinion some people do chime in (especially on Star Wars posts) just to "big up" somebody who is being aggressive or dismissive to people trying to express a legitimate critisism. It has happened to me. They don't add to the discussion. To me this is the equivalent of somebody cheering on a schoolyard bully. You may not appreciate it being called out but again, is it not allowed to comment on this?

I don't think my posts have been in any way offensive. If you wish to remove these comments and transplant them to a post on the members forum I'd be happy to discuss it with anybody who wishes to. You are correct that this thread should be kept to discussing the show itself.

X

Wow. And this would be me not taking any side other than my own.

Bryancd

This was between me and Tim. We have said our piece and have moved on. He knows I don't hold a grudge and niether does he. I have no comment or really strong feelings about any of the other ancilary things that have been brought into this thread. At the top of the page we had returned on topic and I plan on staying there.

Rico

How about this guys.  Since Season 4 of the series is over, I could just close this thread down.  Then we can start a fresh season 5 discussion on the series itself, for those that wish to discuss it.  I don't want to shut anyone out, but unless I hear any objections I will close this thread soon.

Dangelus

Quote from: Rico on March 19, 2012, 06:23:38 AM
How about this guys.  Since Season 4 of the series is over, I could just close this thread down.  Then we can start a fresh season 5 discussion on the series itself, for those that wish to discuss it.  I don't want to shut anyone out, but unless I hear any objections I will close this thread soon.

No problem here, especially since I don't currently watch the show. I may have to start! :)

Bryancd

You should, it's great fun! And I would say leave the thread open, Rico. Someone may want to talk more about the season and we clearly moved on.

billybob476

Quote from: Dangelus on March 19, 2012, 06:26:54 AM
Quote from: Rico on March 19, 2012, 06:23:38 AM

No problem here, especially since I don't currently watch the show. I may have to start! :)

I may have to as well. When the show first began I was really into it, to the point of being on quite a few season 1 episodes of Republic Forces Radio Network over at SWAN. Not sure what happened, I never started disliking the show, but my interest level just kind of died off a bit.

Bryancd

Quote from: billybob476 on March 19, 2012, 06:40:01 AM
I may have to as well. When the show first began I was really into it, to the point of being on quite a few season 1 episodes of Republic Forces Radio Network over at SWAN.

Oh, Lord, don't get me started on those guys! They make Tim sound like a gushing fanboy sometimes with their "analysis".

billybob476

Quote from: Bryancd on March 19, 2012, 06:45:48 AM
Quote from: billybob476 on March 19, 2012, 06:40:01 AM
I may have to as well. When the show first began I was really into it, to the point of being on quite a few season 1 episodes of Republic Forces Radio Network over at SWAN.

Oh, Lord, don't get me started on those guys! They make Tim sound like a gushing fanboy sometimes with their "analysis".

hehe, possibly why I stopped partaking. I was turning into the apologist. My refrain was "if you compare this week to the start, it's come a very long way!"

Jobydrone

Well, sometimes families fight, I think it's all good.  After five years or so of everyone getting to know each other here I think these relationships can survive a little bit of dissent and occasional crabbiness/rudeness.  I think I understand Rico's urge to close the thread as it doesn't shine as the greatest example of what everyone here loves about the forums.  But not everything has to be roses and sunshine.  Group hug everyone!

Personally I've watched the original animated feature and the first four episodes of the first season a couple months ago, but kind of lost my enthusiasm to continue for some reason.  I do plan on getting caught up as soon as I have time.  I agree with earlier comments that they've done a great job so far considering the self imposed limitations of being a prequel and I believe knowing what comes 20 or 30 years later is a bit of a handicap for the series to overcome.  I'm looking forward to seeing more, especially this Darth Maul material since he seems like a pretty unique take on a villian for the franchise.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx