• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Podcast # 893 is now up covering TV Themes

Main Menu

BSG Season 3- Let's discuss the best show on TV! - some spoilers

Started by Bryancd, October 12, 2006, 06:41:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryancd

Yeah, Kenny, I can't believe you haven't been watching this show! It's just so damn good.

Geekyfanboy

Yeah I know.. all my friends say that. I didn't have Sci fi channel when it first came out and I watch so much TV already that I keep falling further behind with the DVD's. I plan on taking a weekend and getting started in Season one.. I'm sure once I get going I won't stop till I get to the end of Season Two.

jedijeff

Another powerful BSG episode. Had me sitting on needles for most of the episode. Tom Zarek back to his old ways, with giving the presedential orders. Left me feeling not very good about Starbuck or Tigh. They both went through a lot on the planet, but suspect they are both going to be rather unlikeable characters for the next while. With BSG, I get the impression they could shoot anyone out of an airlock at anytime.

Rico

One of the things that makes the show vert interesting is it changes all the time and so do the characters.  Keeps you coming back each week to find out what happens next!

Geekyfanboy

Okay folks.. I've taken my first step into the New Battlestar Galactica. I just finished watching the four hour miniseries. It was awesome and I can't wait to see what happens next. I'll keep you guys updated on my progress.

jedijeff

Thats great, I think you are going to really enjoy it. It is great to watch them on DVD, as you can watch a lot of episodes in one sitting.

Rico

Keep it up Kenny.  Honestly, I wasn't too big a fan of the mini-series.  Thought it was kind of slow and the characters not that interesting.  But once the series got going.....wow....I was very, very hooked!

Jobydrone

I am to the point where the DVDs end, and I bought one episode off I tunes so far.  I have nine more to watch before I get to season three which is up currently on SciFi on demand.  I can see why people say it's the best show on television.  I can't wait to be caught up completely.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Rico

Geekyfanboy

Quote from: Rico on November 05, 2006, 05:22:37 AM
Keep it up Kenny.  Honestly, I wasn't too big a fan of the mini-series.  Thought it was kind of slow and the characters not that interesting.  But once the series got going.....wow....I was very, very hooked!

I actually liked the mini series so I'm really looking forward to the series.

Rico

Jen

What does everyone think about the current development on Battlestar Galactica? I really like most of it, but Kara's whole storyline has really stunk since the season premier. If Starbuck is one of the main characters on the show, shouldn't she have a well written storyline?  For the love of the Lords of Kobol! What the heck is Ron Moore doing with Starbuck's character?!  My friends and I think he has trouble writing military women. Most of the things Kara says and does, are all things a man would do and say.  Kara is a female fighter pilot...not a male. They are not the same thing. What's with Kara and the manly-bravado roller coaster rides? Does Ron know anything about military women? Is Kara a bitc*y soap opera vixen from Days Of Our Lives or a Battlestar Galactica Viper Pilot who happens to be a woman?  :confused

I thought it was stupid when she dumped Sam. I didn't like him when he first appeared on the show, but I started to warm up to him towards the end. They started to write great scenes for him and made his character important. Shoot, Kara moved "Kobal and Caprica" to find that guy (the supposed love of her life), and now she can't stand the sight of him? She pouted when she thought he was dead, now she's brooding because he wants to help her get through the ordeal she experienced on New Caprica? Whatever.   :thumbsdown  I understand that the writers just wanted to get back to "square one"â€"back to the pre- New Caprica characters and show. But that scene was way off mark, and the dialog was atrocious. Especially when she runs back and man handles him with a lip-lock before storming back into the meeting with the "circle". Like Sam, I'm confused... at one moment, male bravado pours from Kara and the next you get the stereotypical, melodramatic, catty woman. It throws a wrench in the believability factor.  OK, she's macho, I get it. But then we're served the "I just want to scratch your eyes out" line on the hanger deck as she dumps Sam. That line left me screaming "WHAT"? Make up your mind Ron!

I have a family member who was an interrogation officer in the US Armyâ€" she's now in the CIA.  She's tough as nails and could probably kill you with her pinky finger.  :old_bash:  This family member moved to the US from Puerto Rico as a teen. At the time, she was in witness protection (her family apparently ran a drug cartel). Like Kara, her life wasn't all sunshine and lollipops.  She's frank, in your face and very abrasive. FYI, we aren't the best of friends. But she's doesn't think or act like a man. And her character doesn't flip from in your face to warm and fuzzy...just doesn't happen. She can be civil and I'm sure she's effectionate to her daughter and husband...but she's never catty and never the"damsel in distress" that Kara was on New Caprica (at times with Leoben) and definitely not the "I can pee farther than you" macho woman that Kara seems to be the rest of the time. 

The writers should have shadowed an active, military woman before they wrote the character of Kara Thrace. They're still feminine, they just happen to know the best place to "falcon strike" an enemy in order to kill them the fastest.  Conversely, I believe that Laura Roslin is written very well, in fact she's my favorite character on the show. Cally's character is also stellar...she is the only well written, military, female character. What happened with Kara?! I'll stop complaining now. I really do love Battlestar, its just that Starbuck and Cat really bother me. Yeah, Kara's been through hell (everyone on that show has)...but her character has been messed up from day one. And not just because she's a "conflicted" individual. Ron just can't figure out what he wants to do with her...who she should be.  I know, they need to add Counselor Troi to this fleet. Maybe these messed-up characters can work their issues out with a professional shrink aboard Galactica.  ;)

The end... ;D
Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

Rico

Some interesting stuff there Jen.  Pretty big BSG thread going already.  I'll merge this over to that so it gets a bit more attention....

Geekyfanboy

Just read this on TV guide.com

A Sci Fi Channel rep is now confirming what I've been hinting at for weeks: Battlestar Galactica is saying "Frak you!" to Friday.

The galaxy's best space epic ever is heading to Sundays at 10 pm beginning Jan. 21, when the show returns with the second half of Season 3.

jedijeff

Thats interesting. I know here in Canada they show it on Saturdays, so I wonder how that will affect our air Date. This reminds me of the X-Files, it got its start on Fridays, then moved to Sunday evenings. I always prefered friday night, but maybe because it means I dont have a life :P