• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

The next podcast will be on Feb. 19th and will be a guest cast by Mark.

Main Menu

The cycling thread

Started by billybob476, March 15, 2012, 11:01:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bromptonboy

I may have gotten tentative approval from the wife to go on a great unsupported bike tour this summer.  My brother and his 2 daughters are starting out from Manhattan, and riding to Montreal.  I am planning on leaving Philadelphia on my own bike a few days earlier - carrying my camping gear, etc - and meet them in Poughkeepsie, NY.  I'll stay with them all the way to Montreal.  Should take about 10 days more or less.  I'll rent a car and load the bike in the back and drive home when completed.  There are some great and well defined bicycle routes the whole length of the way.  In essence I would follow the Delaware River north, cut across northern NJ & SE New York state to the Hudson River, and head north.
Pete

billybob476

Wow that's incredible and Montreal is my hometown! Let me know when you're going up and maybe I can coordinate it with a visit to my folks.

Jobydrone

Wow that sounds like a thrilling trip Pete.  Good luck!  I guess you must do alot of riding locally.  Can you recommend any good rides that would be appropriate for an out of shape dad and a little girl who's still a little unsteady without training wheels?  I'd love to take my little girl on a one to one day trip that includes a nice long but fairly easy bike ride.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Bryancd

That sounds so great! My wife and I want to do a bike tour on the southern island of New Zealand in the next few years.

billybob476

Fran and I are thinking of doing a trip up in Algonquin park at some point this summer. One of my goals is to get in a multi day bike trip, just got to make sure me and my bike are up to it :)

Bromptonboy

Quote from: Jobydrone on May 09, 2012, 10:42:03 AM
Wow that sounds like a thrilling trip Pete.  Good luck!  I guess you must do alot of riding locally.  Can you recommend any good rides that would be appropriate for an out of shape dad and a little girl who's still a little unsteady without training wheels?  I'd love to take my little girl on a one to one day trip that includes a nice long but fairly easy bike ride.
A great ride is along the canal tow path along the Delaware River - you can pick that one up in New Hope.  I think you live in the North East, right?  Couple of nice trails there.  Another great one is the 'Forbidden Drive' trail in Chestnut Hill - which joins the path that runs from the Art Museum all the way to Valley Forge park.  Nice and flat riding with plenty of spots to stop for refreshments with the kids.
I commute most days by bike, but I am not going to give Brian any competition in the racing department.  :)  My son and I like to do leisurely rides.
Pete

Jobydrone

Quote from: Bromptonboy on May 09, 2012, 10:56:05 AM
Quote from: Jobydrone on May 09, 2012, 10:42:03 AM
A great ride is along the canal tow path along the Delaware River - you can pick that one up in New Hope.  I think you live in the North East, right?  Couple of nice trails there.  Another great one is the 'Forbidden Drive' trail in Chestnut Hill - which joins the path that runs from the Art Museum all the way to Valley Forge park.  Nice and flat riding with plenty of spots to stop for refreshments with the kids.
I commute most days by bike, but I am not going to give Brian any competition in the racing department.  :)  My son and I like to do leisurely rides.
Thanks Pete.  We do live in NE Philly and I took her to the path in Pennypack but it was too hilly, and my four year old wiped out and almost busted out his front teeth from going too fast.  It was a scary moment.  I'll look into the canal tow path and the Forbidden Drive...that one sounds spooky, she'll love it!
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Bromptonboy

Quote from: billybob476 on May 09, 2012, 10:15:42 AM
Wow that's incredible and Montreal is my hometown! Let me know when you're going up and maybe I can coordinate it with a visit to my folks.
Sounds good!  If I get final approval from SWMBO (as Horace Rumpole used to refer to his wife 'She Who Must Be Obeyed') - I will be departing on 8/3 and and hitting Montreal later the following week - maybe the following weekend - depending on daily mileage.
I want to 'stealth camp' when by myself, but my brother and his girls prefer campgrounds or motels.  :)
Pete

Bromptonboy

Quote from: Bryancd on May 09, 2012, 10:46:22 AM
That sounds so great! My wife and I want to do a bike tour on the southern island of New Zealand in the next few years.
That would be a great tour!  There is a cool site called crazyguyonabike.com where people blog out their bike tours.  There are a number in NZ.  I have a blog there from my 2007 tour from Philadelphia to Maine.  I fantasize about a truly epic tour when I can retire - if I still have my health.  That would be from Philadelphia to Quebec City, then cut across Canada to Prudhoe Bay, AK. Sigh....someday when the kids are grown, and their tuition is paid for....
Pete

billybob476

Thought this was a cool writeup about Cervelo Cycles, based here in Toronto:

QuoteCervélo might just be the most innovative bike company in the world — and its Toronto-based headquarters is the type of place to send a tingle up and down the average roadie's spandex-clad back. One wall is entirely whiteboard — with sketches, equations, and complex diagrams offered as an inadvertent equivalent to decor. Men with rings on their pinky fingers spend their days tinkering with the latest and greatest in software applications, trying to find that optimal balance between strength, stiffness, and aerodynamics. And needless to say, there's more than enough storage on site for those who decide to cycle to work. This is where all of that P5, S5, and R5 magic starts before it makes its way to the European pro peloton.

http://www.blogto.com/sports_play/2012/05/behind_the_scenes_at_cervelo_cycles_in_toronto/

Bromptonboy

Pete

Bromptonboy

Booked the time off at work for the bike tour.  I will leave Philadelphia on 8/2 - and plan on meeting my brother & nieces in Poughkeepsie 4 days later.  From there we should make Montreal in about 7 days at a leisurely pace - carrying camping gear, etc.  I like to 'wild camp' - so I can get that out of my system before hooking up with the others.  Campgrounds & motels after that..
Pete

billybob476

Very cool!

I just got raked over the coals here from a coworker who insists my bike is too small for me (he's right but I make it work) :)

Bromptonboy

Well, leaving in 2 days.  With luck and fair winds, I hope to make Montreal (from Philadelphia) by August 13th.  I will count this trip a success only after I have washed down a large Poutine with a cup of Tim Hortons..  ;)

Here is a picture of the bike with a test load:
Pete

billybob476

Awesome. I suggest the classic 2 steamé (that's hot dogs) and a poutine from La Belle Province :) Save the Tim's for breakfast.