• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Don't forget to drop a review on iTunes for the podcast sometime or send a donation in for the show.

Main Menu

The cycling thread

Started by billybob476, March 15, 2012, 11:01:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billybob476

Well since we have a bit of a conversation going on the shoutbox I figured a thread would be in order.

I started getting back into cycling last year and am starting up my fitness riding season once again this year.

I'm on a 2008 Fuji Absolute 3.0 "performance hybrid". Right now I'm aiming to get my endurance up tooling around the Toronto area but my goal is to perhaps eventually get into some multi day bike touring and maybe even some bike camping.

Right now I take off with a wallet and a cell phone in a backpack and a water bottle in a bottle cage. Any suggestions on what else I should take along on rides and how I should carry them (i.e. flat kit, locks, hydration, etc etc)?

Bromptonboy

I cycle commute to work around 3 days a week - I have a mixed mode ride wherein I take the bike on the bus in the AM part of the way, but ride the whole way home in the evening.  My ride is either my Brompton bicycle (a folding bike), or I will usually ride my Thorn Raven Tour which is more of a tank than a bike!  I have a dynamo hub that powers my lights, an internal 14-speed Rohloff hub instead of a derailleur, mudguards, 2 bottle holders (for a coffee mug and water!), and I have a rack on the back that holds a pannier with a multitool, pump, spare tire, lunch, rain gear, etc.  I also wear fluorescent green clothes & helmet cover, and a flashing LED vest.  My route is along a busy shoulder - and I want people to say 'What is that?!' rather than 'What was that?!'...  ;)

Pete

billybob476

Makes sense! I definitely need to get myself a proper jersey if only for the pockets. I find if I'm wearing a pack (as I'm doing now) I get that sweaty patch on my back where it rests.

Bromptonboy

Here is a shot where you can see my rear lights - a 26-LED FoxFire & an 18-LED RealLITE.  I have 'roadies' snicker at me for going overboard on lights.  The pannier is perfect for avoiding Sweaty Back Syndrome.  Luckily, I am allowed  to bring my bike into the office and keep it in my pod.  :)
Pete

billybob476

I've got one of these on my seat post: http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Cycling/Lights/PRD~5022-096/mec-saturn-rear-led-bicycle-light.jsp

A guy actually flagged me down and told me it was blinding him at dusk when I had it on full-flash mode!

Bromptonboy

Quote from: billybob476 on March 15, 2012, 02:02:05 PM
I've got one of these on my seat post: http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Cycling/Lights/PRD~5022-096/mec-saturn-rear-led-bicycle-light.jsp

A guy actually flagged me down and told me it was blinding him at dusk when I had it on full-flash mode!

Hmmmm, very nice.  Perhaps I'll get one for the Brommie.  :)
Pete

Bryancd

I rode 60 miles today with 4700 feet of climbing in just under 3 hours. :)

billybob476

Jeebus, it took me an hour to ride 10 miles on the flat! All in good time :)

billybob476

So here's a question, on my normal route there's an incline that gets me up to the street from the ravine I ride in. Today about 3/4 of the way up I crapped out, couldn't make it all the way up. Any suggestions on how to approach it and what to do as I climb?

Bromptonboy

Quote from: billybob476 on March 19, 2012, 05:32:08 PM
So here's a question, on my normal route there's an incline that gets me up to the street from the ravine I ride in. Today about 3/4 of the way up I crapped out, couldn't make it all the way up. Any suggestions on how to approach it and what to do as I climb?
How steep and long is the climb?  Assuming you are in granny-gear (the lowest one) some people make their own 'switch backs' by riding in wave-like pattern.  I have a short (1/2 mile) steep incline at the end of my ride.  I am not trying to race, so I drop down into low gear and slowly climb.
If you are having trouble in the lowest gear, you may be geared too high.  That can be changed with different cogs & cranks if need be.
Pete

billybob476

Yeah, I was pretty high up and by the time I realized it I figured I'd kill myself if I tried to shift lower.

EDIT: It's a short incline but it's steep, probably about 200 feet at maybe a 20-25% grade (I might not be doing the grade thing right, suffice it to say it's relatively steep).

Bromptonboy

Quote from: Bryancd on March 15, 2012, 07:57:16 PM
I rode 60 miles today with 4700 feet of climbing in just under 3 hours. :)

I take my hat off to you!
Pete

Bromptonboy

Pete

billybob476

That thing is wicked looking!

Bromptonboy

This summer, my son Tom (10) and I will be riding the Bike-A-Thon from Philadelphia to Buena, NJ (a scenic route of 66  miles).  This is a charity ride for cancer research.

That distance will be fine for me.  Tom and I will build up slowly to this distance heading into the summer.

The coolest part of the ride is that they close the Benjamin Franklin Bridge to motor traffic so we can cycle over this big bridge into New Jersey.  The Battleship USS New Jersey can be seen clearly from the bridge.
Pete