LIVE 6th Anniversary Podcast!

Started by Rico, August 28, 2011, 02:22:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rico

Well, that was a lot of fun!  Hope you guys all got a kick out of it and the video and audio quality was ok.  Thanks to those that had time to stop by and join me.  :)

Feathers

No problem! It worked well on the uStream app except for the time delay imposed by decompressing the video (or whatever it does). The fact that the chat was still real time made it feel like sitting 30s in the future and knowing what was going to happen next.

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

RickPeete

I wish I could have been there for the whole thing.  I got to connect via UStream on the iPad for the last 15 minutes or so while in the car driving to Grand Rapids, MI.  No. I was not doing the driving. LOL

PaulECoyote

Did you get your network stuff sorted out Rico?  Curious about what problems you had in particular with Windows 7?

Rico

Quote from: PaulECoyote on September 09, 2011, 08:09:29 AM
Did you get your network stuff sorted out Rico?  Curious about what problems you had in particular with Windows 7?

I have two machines next to each other, both with Windows 7 - both in the same Homegroup.  For some reason I'm having trouble sharing a folder from one machine to the other.  I entered the proper password that Windows generates and it kind of worked at first and now it says the password is wrong.  The whole thing makes me long for the days of Win XP networking.  It's frankly getting easier to share files via a USB stick or just uploading them to my server space.  Which is kind of silly.

PaulECoyote

Apologies in advance if I'm telling you what you already know.

Depending on how that sharing is set up you might need to have *exactly* the same username and password combination on both computers.

Also folder security is different from sharing security.  So you could have a network user having permission to look at the files, but then the permissions on the file system itself denies them.  This can most easily happen if you share something that is not a directory under C:\Users\Public folders 

So you might want to check the properties of the folder in both the sharing and security tabs.

It's a shame, that home group stuff is supposed to make things easier, but obviously even with the wizards it is still too easy to configure things in a way that isn't helpful.  I reckon part of it is to do with MS trying to protect people from opening up their computers too much (doh!)

If you are sharing music / media between computers, your xbox, etc via media streaming check the media streaming options control panel (for quick access, tap the windows key and start typing Media streaming options and hit enter when it suggests it).  Perhaps those settings some how got goofed up.

Dangelus

Home group is a nice feature when it works. Personally I never use it. I use Samba / simple file sharing which just works.

Right click, properties, share the folder or drive, set permissions or passwords and off you go. :)

PaulECoyote

Quote from: Dangelus on September 09, 2011, 09:17:01 AM
Home group is a nice feature when it works. Personally I never use it. I use Samba / simple file sharing which just works.

Right click, properties, share the folder or drive, set permissions or passwords and off you go. :)

K.i.s.s. huh? :0)

Actually the talk of Samba made me think - are *both* machines Windows 7 Rico?  Windows 7 shuns some earlier versions of Windows by default in some circumstances due to the whole security thing.

KingIsaacLinksr

I use Dropbox, that's about the KISSest way you could share across computers and tablets, shame about the restriction on space though.

King
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

Dangelus

Honestly if you share files across 2 computers then samba works great. I have 2 Windows 7 PCs, a Windows 7 laptop and a PC running Mac OS X all networked together with no problems.

Rico

Dangelus

Quote from: Rico on September 09, 2011, 03:35:34 PM
Samba?  I'll give it a whirl!

It's the old style of sharing built into Windows but you have more control and I prefer it. There is a good step by step guide in the following link:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?t=63123

WillEagle

Finished this podcast yesterday and really enjoyed it. I also liked Quadshots comments about The Avengers movie. He said he got goosebumbs seeing it, well guess what, listening to him explain the scenes with the Hulk I got goosebumbs. I'm so glad he's not the bad guy in this movie! And Hulk better Smash!

Redshirt97

Hi Rico,  I just finished listening to the podcast today.  Great podcast!   I am happy that you are still here after 6 years.  I have been listen to you for at least the 4 years and only just joined he forums this past winter.  got over a 100 post with the rank of Cmdr. now.  I found you over in iTunes under the film and TV sections.  I saw the picture of Spock with the Ipod and was intrigued.  so I downloaded a few podcast, can remember which on I listen too first but I still here and haven't look back since.   Please keep up the good work and here is to another 6 years of podcasti :)ng. 
I am going with the best information that I have.