• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Podcast # 893 is now up covering TV Themes

Main Menu

Attic of my Mind #23 - The Return

Started by Rico, June 12, 2014, 02:03:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rico

Holy Frak - I'm back!  Yes, after about three years I finally dusted off this old podcast and recorded an episode.  This one is about balancing work and your life.  Hope you all enjoy it.  Also, if you want to hear more please pop over on iTunes and put down a review and rating.  Thanks gang!

Podcast Notes:  http://www.atticofmymind.com/blog/archives/37

http://www.atticofmymind.com/podcasts/Attic_of_my_Mind_23_The_Return.mp3

billybob476

Woo! Always loved these. Downloading!

Bromptonboy

Cool - been awhile - think this is in my library.
Pete

Rico

It was time.  Hope to get back to doing them on a semi-regular basis too.

davekill

Rico

Quote from: davekill on June 12, 2014, 03:01:11 PM
Nice to hear AOMM again

OWC has a bus powered blue-ray burner/player
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/MRSSBDR6X/?

Hmm.  I wonder if anyone makes one that has Thunderbolt?

ChrisMC

Check out our Classic BSG podcast! http://ragtagfugitivepodcast.com/

jedijeff

Great to hear you are getting back to Attic of my Mind podcast. I certainly relate with your sentiments regarding work and free time, as that has been something I dealt with in the past. I must admit I get a bit greedy at times, as I tend to need a certain amount of me time, and if I don't get enough I tend to go a bit crazy.

Rico

Same with me Jeff.  I start to feel it after several busy weeks in a row.  Let me just say, I'm very happy it's Friday tomorrow!  :)

Bromptonboy

I envy you both that freedom.  I have to pull at my oar for at least 7 more years - get the kids into college\university. 
Pete

Rico

Oh, I will still be working for many years. But I just pace myself and try hard to have some "me" time too everyday.

Bromptonboy

My dream is to retire at 62 - and if I still have my health - do an epic bicycle tour.  The dream is Prudhoe Bay, AK along the Pan American Highway to Tierra del Fuego\ Ushaia, Argentina.  :)  At ~40 miles per day average, should take me about a year (following the established path).
Pete

jedijeff

Health is important as we age, might be one of the most important things, as from what I have seen at times, once it starts to slip for a person, it never really comes back. I was told yesterday a former co worker of mine had passed away this week, and he had retired(force retired) a few years ago, so it was a bit sad that he never really got a long retirement. Sounded like he had health issues dog him through it as well. So I wish you the best on your bike tour Pete, everyone should get the chance to follow their dreams when they retire, I guess there is the argument as well, to start crossing things off the bucket list now as you just never know what the future has for you.
I kick myself a bit, as I look back at my life, and at times I was so imprisoned by my own mind, that I have let things pass by I really wanted. I am in my mid 40's, so still plenty of time, but also I look and I lost quite a bit of time as well, and you just don't get that back. With that said, I have been sitting on the internet this morning, and I need to give myself a boot out of the chair to go do something productive today. :)

Bromptonboy

You are so right about health.  But it sounds like the move you made really was a boost to your morale - and that is priceless. 
Pete

jedijeff

Yes, it really is priceless. I recall a few years back, I had a former co worker that left the company for another job opportunity, and I had a conversation with him, where I was questioning him about leaving package money as he had a lot of years. He told me that happiness far outweighs whatever you might get in package money as you put in years waiting for it. At the time I really could not grasp it, but when I moved, it really did make sense, you just can't put a price on happiness.