• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

The next podcast will be on Feb. 19th and will be a guest cast by Mark.

Main Menu

Attic of my Mind # 11

Started by Rico, February 20, 2008, 03:44:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rico

Yes - it's back.  The show that delves deeper into the mind of Rico! (Scary stuff folks).  A show on dreams.  Hope you like it.

http://www.atticofmymind.com/podcasts/Attic_of_my_Mind_11_Dreams.mp3

Ktrek

Rico,

I thought it interesting that you were able to kind of manipulate your dreams when young. I used to do something similar. I was a huge Flintstones fan as a kid and I would concentrate on the Flintstones before falling asleep and sure enough I would have a Flintstones dream. I could do it with whatever I wanted.

I have not tried manipulating my dreams since childhood. I wonder if I concentrated on Star Trek I would have a Star Trek dream? Like you most of my dreams seem associated with what I am currently going through. I probably remember about 50% of my dreams but the memories of my dreams fade after a day or two.

I have some very vivid dreams that I have experienced in my lifetime that still stay with me to this day. I have no idea about the significance of them or even if there is any at all.

The subject of dreams always reminds me of the Rogers and Hammerstein song Happy Talk from South Pacific. Even though the dreams the song refers to are not nocturnal dreams. It says:

" You gotta have a dream. If you don't have a dream, how you gonna make a dream come true? "

Kevin

"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

Meds

I think you quite fancied Wilma

Rico

Dreams are an interesting subject.  I didn't even mention something called Valerian Root on the podcast.  I have used this herb occasionally to help me get to sleep.  Not often at all, but once in awhile if I have had a stressful day and have too much on my mind.  What I have noticed is this herb seems to also promote very vivid dreaming.  I've looked some things up on this and it seems even Native Americans used this at times to go on sort of "spirit quests."  Interesting stuff.

Jen

Quote from: HawkeyeMeds on February 21, 2008, 10:45:54 AM
I think you quite fancied Wilma

LOL! I enjoyed the podcast Rico. I have NEVER been able to control my dreams, though I have tried several techniques. I have had flying dreams, fighting dreams (though I'm a martial artist I can't land a punch to defend myself in my dreams), and just about any sort of surreal dream you can imagine... I just can't control them.

The weirdest thing I've done is dreamed about putting words together for my posts in the RPG. I try the dialog and verbage out in my dream and rearrange sentences. When I was in college, I liked Tetris alot, and I used to dream about playing the game... just like in the waking world. Fitting blocks in place as the quickly tumble from the top of the screen. I have also dreamed about color combinations and layouts for designs I'm working on at work (I'm a graphic designer). It's very odd. Why can't I just dream about being a character instead of narrating the character? Why can't I plug the Tetris blocks in place with my own hands instead of dreaming I'm sitting in front of a computer? I'm a very creative person, but often times my dreams are pretty cut and dry.
Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

moyer777

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com

Ktrek

I liked Betty better! Wilma could get down right mean but Betty was almost always nice.

Anyway...another thing I wanted to mention is that when I have problems that are stressing me out I quite often am given the solution via dreams. This especially happened while I worked at the university and was taking one projects way beyond my ability. I guess my mind never stopped working until I had an answer.

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

Meds

We all know she won't leave Barny. Ha Ha (as to quote Dave Lister from Red Dwarf). I write/direct and occasionally act in a internet comedy show called The Danger Signs, and because i have that creative side i too tend to have just cut and dry dreams. I think its because in the day the brain is working and trying to come up with interesting and workable material, when it rests and begins to sort out all the days information it settles down. Sometimes though when i have very vivid dreams that are very close to reality i can make things happen but i never get to the conclusion. I tend to write this stuff down on a pad by my bed and i use that the next day to write some sketches or short stories. I made a ten minute film called The Egg (very amateurish but i like it) with my writing partner (i should add this is not my normal job just a evening/ part time job) and around 40% of the finished film is from what dreams i had during writing. Actually what does that say about my brain ha ha