• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Podcast # 893 is now up covering TV Themes

Main Menu

What's everyone reading right now?

Started by Rico, May 30, 2008, 07:50:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ktrek

Did you know that John Jackson Miller has a TNG/Aventine novel coming out in January? So, if you like his Star Wars stuff you might like his Star Trek novel. It will be his first.

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

Jobydrone

Admiral Riker?  When did this happen?  Is Data back yet in the TNG EU?
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Jobydrone

Looking forward to the new Stephen King, "Revival", releasing tomorrow.  This is going to interfere with my TV and schoolwork for sure.  Reading for pleasure is getting rarer and rarer these days :(
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Ktrek

Quote from: Jobydrone on November 10, 2014, 08:27:09 AM
Admiral Riker?  When did this happen?  Is Data back yet in the TNG EU?

In a manner of speaking...yes!
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

Bromptonboy

Have there been any books that deal with Data's longevity?  A story far in the future from TNG?
Pete

Ktrek

Quote from: Bromptonboy on November 11, 2014, 02:17:49 AM
Have there been any books that deal with Data's longevity?  A story far in the future from TNG?

Do you mean post show/movies? The Cold Equations trilogy by David Mack is approximately four years after Data's death. Very good books by the way and if you think you might be interested in reading them it would help your appreciation for them if you read Jeffrey Lang's novel from about ten years back called Immortal Coil for two reasons. One is that Mack uses key points derived from that book for continuity and secondly because Lang wrote a sequel to Mack's trilogy called The Light Fantastic. All five of these books are Data centric and fun reads. Definitely in my top 25 Trek books of all time and I have around 700 or so.

Kevin

Bromptonboy

Didn't know that Data buys it.  I was wondering how some writers would handle him far into the future from TNG - since he is (or would be) 'immortal'.  That answers that.  :)
Pete

Ktrek

Quote from: Bromptonboy on November 11, 2014, 10:27:06 AM
Didn't know that Data buys it.  I was wondering how some writers would handle him far into the future from TNG - since he is (or would be) 'immortal'.  That answers that.  :)

Pete, You have not seen Nemesis? I'm confused here. I hope we didn't spoil anything for you.

As far as the far off future I can't think of any books that go way into the future because all the 24th century series are supposed to be all in the same timeline now so there is novel continuity. It's not to say that if a novel was pitched that wasn't in the current continuity was written that Pocket wouldn't publish it though.

Kevin

Kevin

Bromptonboy

I did but don't recall that.  Time for rewatch... :)
Pete

davekill

Sled Driver: flying the worlds fastest jet

The author Brian Shul relates his experiences flying the SR-71 Blackbird.
- Besides the pilot and navigator, the author speaks of the Astro-Inertial Navigation System as a third crew member.
"Much like R2D2 in the Star Wars movies, it was placed into a special compartment behind the rear cockpit with a glass porthole atop the fuselage and started functioning as soon as the aircraft left the hanger. Once airborne, it interfaced with the autopilot system. A remarkable system, I thought the ANS should have it's own little space suit."

Jobydrone

Finished Stephen King's Revival on Friday, too dark and depressing for my liking. Even though most of his books can definitely be described as dark, they generally end in a satisfying, uplifting way. Not this one. For now, if I have time to read at all, I am going to try to get caught up on my post-Nemesis TNG fiction. The last one I read was "the sky's the limit" so I have about 15 books to read lol. Should take me a while.

WillEagle

Just finished Hulk: The Complete Collection Vol. 1 by Jeph Loeb. Very good and looking forward to Vol. 2.

Bromptonboy

I am wrapping up my re-read of GRRM's Song Of Ice And Fire series (1 - 5) to prep for the new HBO season.  Picked up some stuff I missed before.
Pete

Rico

Reading "Ready Player One" and so far it's great!  A ton of gaming, TV, and movie references and nostalgia in this book.  I think everyone here would get a kick out of this one.

http://www.amazon.com/Ready-Player-One-Ernest-Cline/dp/0307887448/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1425738079&sr=8-1&keywords=ready+player+one

WillEagle

Finished Hulk The Complete Collection Vol. 2. Very good book as well.
Now reading Captain Marvel Vol. 1 Higher, Further, Faster, More. Pretty good so far. She has a really cool apartment also.
Also if you didn't know there is a magazine that is a 100 page tribute to Leonard Nimoy. I hope to get mine this week. It is supposed to be on sale till June 16. Here is a link and a pic.

http://startrek.com/article/first-look-nimoy-commemorative-magazine