• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Podcast # 893 is now up covering TV Themes

Main Menu

Star Trek: Season 9

Started by Geekyfanboy, February 14, 2009, 08:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jen

Ryla glanced up as her mind registered the inaudible suggestion, and noticed Lieutenant Commander James at the bar. She watched him nurse a drink as Mackie and Susan continued the conversation. As Assistant Chief Medical Officer, Ryla had familiarized herself with the medical files of the majority of the Arabella's crewmen, and knew Mr. James to be a telepath. "Write a book," the voice had said. She didn't appreciate the mental intrusion.  She focused on a single thought as she watched him down the rest of his drink.

I'm not a writer.

Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

X

Joint post by Jen and Just X

Ryla excused herself from Mackie and Susan's discussion and moved to the open stool next to Aeric James. J'Dan handed her the cup of Raktijno. She took a sip and turned to the Nacine-El Aurian,  "I heard your voice, but you clearly were not close enough for that to have been an audible suggestion, " she remarked as she set her beverage on the bar.

"How are you, Lieutenant?" He asked.

"I could be better, but I guess that can be said for many of us these days," she replied.

Aeric offered a polite smile,  "It's not hard to see the grief that you are going through. I know the look from personal experience, but there might be a way to channel that. You should write a book about the life of Drett. A written testament to the life that has passed. Something that, I believe, no other host has ever been in the position to do. Remembering the past might give you perspective on your future. Personally, I would be very interested in knowing more about the officer that gave their life in the defense of this crew and ship."

Taking a sip of his water, Aeric gave the Trill his undivided attention. Loss came with being a member of Starfleet, but it did not have to be a meaningless loss. "Perhaps we can talk more on this after the ceremony and my meeting with Counselor Margon?"

Geekyfanboy

Joint post by Startrekfanatic5 & Just X

Quinn and Took stood at the bar and watched as various crewmembers entered the Afterburner.  As 0500 arrived, Quinn stepped away from Took and proceeded to the podium that had been set up. He caught Lt. Commander's James eye, who nodded and joined. Nathan cleared his throat and the room fell silent. He placed the padd on the podium and looked around at all the happy faces smiling back at him. He took pause to return the smile and then began.

"First I want to thank you all for join us here today. I know that I have taken you away from your much-needed shore leave, so I will make this short and to the point. We are here today to honor two of our fellow officers. These two men represent the best of what Starfleet has to offer; they have gone above and beyond to perform their duties as Starfleet officers. Would Lieutenant Joseph D'Callan and Ensign Christopher Dunn please join us up at the podium?"

Once both men arrived at the podium, Quinn continued, "As Captain of this vessel it is my duty and privilege to reward those who excel in their duties, who put other's wellbeing before their own. "

James handed Quinn a small black box. Nathan opened the box to reveal a black pip. He removed it and attached it to D'Callan's collar next to the two solid gold pips. "Lieutenant Joseph D'Callan, I hereby promote you to the rank of Lieutenant Commander."

There was applause as D'Callan stepped back and Dunn approached. Quinn took the other box, which contained another black pip. He removed the pip. "Ensign Christopher Dunn, it is my honor to promote you to the rank of Lieutenant Junior Grade."

Quinn pinned the black pip next to the single gold pip. Once again the crowd applauded. Quinn raised his hand and silence fell again as Nathan gestured to Lt. Commander James to take the podium.

Aeric nodded slightly as he stood before the gather crew. "It has been a personal honor to have served with and beside everyone aboard this vessel. We have had joys and pains on the short time aboard this ship, but we have survived. We have done more than survive, we have excelled all expectations."

Aeric took a slow breath before continuing. "We have had our share of losses and setbacks, but we did not allow ourselves to be defeated. I have watched with rapt attention as these two officers have consistently put the needs of this crew before their own. Congratulations to you both, it is an honor well deserved in a crew of well deserving individuals."

Quinn applauded with the rest as James finished his speech. "Thank you Mr. James, now please everyone enjoy the festivities."

The briefly silent room erupted in music and conversation as the festivities began in earnest.

Jen

Ryla watched as her fellow officers congratulated Dunn and D'Callan. Joseph had been the last patient she saw in sickbay before her death. He was badly injured during a successful attempt to rescue Dunn during an away mission. Doctors Drett and Myella Peterson were the only physicians aboard when Joseph's mangled body arrived, and neither had the experience necessary to perform the surgery. In an effort to save him, Ryla made the decision to activate the EMH so that the hologram could supervise the procedure. The Mark VI had nearly driven her mad, but he was highly skilled and because of him the Chief Of Security survived. She had endured the hologram's obnoxious antics for Joseph's sake, and made sure D'Callan was well aware of this fact when he awoke. He was a stubborn patient and Ryla joked that if he didn't stop giving her a hard time, she would activate the Emergency Medical Hologram to keep him company while she was off duty. She never made good on her threat... instead, she recruited Nurse Cain for the task. The Trill smiled slightly as she watched Susan hovering near him.

From her place at the bar, Ryla lifted her mug in salute to them both then finished the rest of her Raktijino. Her head swam with the friendly suggestions of her fellow crew mates:  change your appearance, rearrange your quarters, plan a memorial, write a book...  Right now all she wanted to do was hit something. She watched K'Tan mingling in the crowd and wondered if he hated her. Only one way to find out, replied her inner voice. Still feeling the confidence of Mackie's chemical influence—she stood, took a deep breath, and approached the Chief Tactical Officer. 

The small woman moved to his side when his conversation had reached a natural lull, "hello, Commander." Fearing that he would make some excuse to walk away, she didn't wait for a response.  "I have the innate desire to punch something. Trouble is...I don't know how. I realize there are a number of qualified individuals who are more than capable of instructing me in the martial arts, but I want to learn Mok'bara... and I'd like to learn it from you. Are you willing to teach a screwed up Trill how to kill something with her bare hands?" As soon as the question escaped her lips, her serious expression crumbled. A small smile lit her face and she chuckled at the absurdity of it all. "I'd like to make a new friend and maybe let off a little steam in the process...by hitting something...really hard. I hear you're good at that."
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

Meds

Joseph stood chatting with Dunn and by the look of his arm movements he was once again explaining the game of cricket. Susan watched him and a warm feeling grew in her stomach, She glanced over at Ryla and K'tan who was also in mid conversation. She was proud to be aboard this ship and she had her Admiral to thank for getting her the position aboard the Arabella.
Joseph slapped Dunn on the back.

"That's the spirit Leitenant J.G ha ha. You'll love the games. wear a helmet though"

Dunn looked up " A helmet?"

"Yeah mate... Oh and a box"

Joseph took a swig of his beer and looked at Dunn who's mouth had dropped.

"Whats a box?"

Joseph put his glass down and pretended to swing a bat.

"Protection mate, its like a cup"

Dunn looked at his glass "Cup?"

Joseph smiled.

"When a leather ball is coming at you at 145kmh and smacks you straight in the testicles you're gonna wish you had a box down your strides"

Slapping a worried Dunn on the back D'Callan began to walk away but gave him one last cheeky comment.

"Of course that's the speed of a human bowl. I don't know what the speed of a Klingon bowl's going to be"

Dunn's eyes widened and he turned but Joseph was out of ear shot and already standing back at the bar ordering another drink for himself and Susan.

Thinking about the power of a Klingons strength Dunn looked quickly at K'tan and then back at D'Callan who shot him a sly smile in acknowledgement of the friendly wind up. Dunn relaxed and laughed to himself before quickly knocking back his celebratory ale.

wraith1701

As D'Callan and Dunn continued to celebrate their much-deserved promotions, K'Tan found his attention fully captured by Ryla.  The doctor's face brightened as she graced him with a melodic chuckle, and as her lips perked into a small smile, K'Tan felt his heart quicken.

"So what do you say," Ryla asked.  "Feel up to taking on a student?"

K'Tan felt his face flush in a wave of giddiness as he struggled to come up with a response.  The doctor's warmth felt like a tonic to him, and he didn't want to risk loosing it through verbal clumsiness. 

Throwing caution to the wind, K'Tan returned the Doctor's smile with one of his own.  "I'd be honored to assist you in any way that I can." 

The warm giddiness filling his chest seemed like it was now making itself at home in his flushed face; K'Tan's smile felt pleasantly locked into a permanent grin.

"And by the way; I hope you don't mind me saying this, but you look exceptionally radiant this evening, Ryla," he added.

As the noise level in the Afterburner continued to steadily rise, K'Tan found himself quietly marveling at the courage of the petite Trill doctor, and at her determination to press forward despite the grievous harm done to her during the Borg conflict.

He also marveled at how this brief exchange had suddenly brightened the tone of his day. 

Only the fates knew what the future held in store for the two of them.  But as long as that future included her friendship, K'Tan felt certain that it would be a bright one. 

iceman

After Congratulating, both newly promoted officers, Doctor Peterson made the rounds and chatted briefly with all the senior officers, before stopping and asking Ryla how she was doing after her ordeal of loosing her symbiant. He smiled briefly and let her know that he was available as was counsellor Margon if she needed to talk.

Doctor Peterson disliked these formal affairs and after an hour or so he headed back to his table to collect his wife before retiring to his quarters for the night to catch up on some much needed rest.

moyer777

Margon was surprised that he had enjoyed the ceremony.  It was great to see the interaction of the crew.  He saw nothing negative occurring, which was rare.  Sometimes it was hard for him to take off his "counselor" hat.  He didn't really ever get to do that unless he was locked away in his holoquarters. 

J'Dan was collecting glasses off of the bar, "So Counselor, how goes it?"

"It's good J'Dan, I'm still working through some stuff, but I'm doing well."

"We're all still working through things" J'Dan smiled, "we need to hang out.  Maybe I can get your mind off of work.  I know of a great holo program with a cute Bolian lady."

Margon blushed, which was quite a sight on a blue man.  He raised and eyebrow and chuckled. 

"Uh, maybe.  A strong maybe." he chuckled.

J'Dan's communicator chirped.  "Private incoming communication for J'Dan Marley" 

"Gotta run Counselor, I'll be in touch" 

Margon finished his third root beer and vinegar, pushed away from the bar and said his goodbyes.  Walking out into the corridor he made his way to the turbolift and was on his way back to his quarters. He was quite familiar with the crew but there were so many different people on board doing repairs that it was strange to see people he didn't know. As he approached his quarters a repair crewman was working on a panel next to his entrance. 

"Hello" Margon said cheerfully, "what are you working on?"

The workman turned and for a brief moment things became tense.  For some reason Margon recognized him but couldn't place him. 

"Nothing to be concerned about  sir.. is it Counselor Margon?" 

"Yes, and you are?" the counselor said trying to read his identification.

"Oh, that's not important, I need a quick word with you" he said pulling a small laser welder from his work belt and forcing Margon into his quarters. 

Margon slowly stepped in and stared at the Orion worker.

"What do you want with me?"

"Where is your son?" asked the stranger.

"Brex?, what do you mean?  He's dead!"  Margon said in a shocked voice.

"Yeah, right, the man said sarcastically,  "Where is he?" 

"I told you, he's dead."

"Well, he must not be too dead, I just spoke to him yesterday, he has something that belongs to me counselor, and I need it back.  So I'll ask you one more time.. where is..."

The door chime sounded. 

"Don't say a word, and if you value you and your friends lives, don't report this.  I will be in touch."

"You can't be serious"

"Don't test me Mr. Margon, don't test me.  The people I work for are powerful."

The intruder motioned towards the door as he put his finger up to his lips.  "Let them in" he whispered as he tucked the laser welder into his utility belt.

"Come!" the counselor said.  The door opened revealing a crew member. 

"Thank you counselor" said the Orion walking out, "you shouldn't have any more problems with the environmental controls."  as he made his way behind the crewman he looked at Margon and put his finger back up to his mouth.  The glare was intense.

The door closed and the young ensign looked at Margon.  "You ok counselor?  You look like you have seen a ghost!  What's up?"

The counselor wiped his sweaty forehead and let out a sigh, "trouble ensign, trouble"

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com

moyer777

J'Dan slipped into his small office and looked at the screen.  "Incoming personal message for J'Dan Marley" the computer had written on the screen.  There was a small diamond shaped icon at the bottom of the screen.  J'Dan entered a code on the pad and the screen lit up.

"There you are, I've been waiting, what took you so long?"  a large lizard looking gentleman said.  He was missing teeth on both sides and was shade of lime green.

"I had matters to attend to"  said J'Dan in a somewhat slower than usual manner.  He was using the universal translator but for some reason it was working differently than normal.

"How many times have I told you that time is of the utmost importance in my communications.  If you value your family I would think you would get me the information that I need in a quick and efficient manner." 

J'Dan's fingers crossed back and forth on the panel of his desk.  The alien communicating with him was using a holo masking device.  He wasn't sure who he was really speaking too.  All he knew is that his name was Lethor, and he was a low life.

"I have the information you want, so just send me the payment and I'll give you the goods." J'Dan said confidently.

"There is coming a day when I will have the entire list my friend, and when I do I will have no need of you.  You think you can bleed me dry do you?" the lizard snarled.

"Well that isn't today is it?  Let's get on with it, I have other things to do."

The alien transmitted the data to J'Dan's work station. 

"Information received, I'll get back with you within 24 hours."

"You'll get back to me sooner than that.  I hear Moffa is not feeling well.  It would be a shame if he felt even worse.  And how is your father doing after his experience with the Borg?  Many people have been known to "end it all" after that kind of an experience."  The lizard smirked with a sarcastic tone.

Inside of J'Dan his heart jumped.  This was exactly what he was hoping to avoid.  How far would they really go? 

"Look, I'll keep my end of the bargain, you keep yours.  Transfer the funds and you will get what you want.  But Lethor... if you touch one of my family, I will find you.  I know you are not the person on the screen, don't think you are fooling me for a minute. I have my sources too."

Lethor checked his panel, how could his masking signal be detected?

"Understand me Lethor, if you do anything to them, I will find you and you will die."  He paused and gave his most evil glare.  "Brex out."

Lethor watched as his view screen went dark.  The image of the younger Bolian was a tad bit intimidating.  Working for the syndicate was not a pleasant job.  He wondered why he ever got hooked up with such horrible company.  At least one of his operatives was on board the Arabella during the repairs.  If he had too, he would harm Margon.  He couldn't seem to find Brex anywhere.

J'Dan sat alone in his office with sweat beaded up on his forehead.  How could he keep this up?  This ruse wasn't going to last much longer, and he didn't really have the list.  He would have to rely on his connections to provide the information to Lethor.  This was going to be a long 24 hours. 

He looked at his now blank screen to see the reflection of his dead friend.  "Computer" said J'Dan, "discontinue hologram of Brex."

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com

Jen

She liked K'Tan for the obvious reasons. He was tall and handsome and very charming, but Ryla wasn't a typical female—she was a Trill and Trills were old souls. Through her symbiont, she gained the memories of a dozen lifetimes and if Ryla had learned anything from Drett— it was to be prudent with regards to romance. 

Okay, so he doesn't hate me, she thought.  Ryla felt a wave of relief that, for a change, had not originated from her Fertillian friend.

"You're very kind," she said in response to his complement. There was a brief silence between them before she extended her hand and smiled once more.  "It's a deal then. I look forward to the first lesson." He accepted her hand and she shook it as though a business arrangement had been made. "Would 1700 hours tomorrow afternoon be a convenient time for you?  Maybe afterwards we could get a bite to eat. Unless, of course, you have other plans..."
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

Feathers

"Pe'taQ!" screamed the Klingon and charged across the cave raising his weapon with a practised ease.

Galdar stepped aside and lifted his own bat'leth as he did so. With a crash the weapons met, the Klingon's momentum carrying him past his larger opponent and almost to the rocky wall. As Galdar gathered himself for another assult the Klingon gave him a sneering smile.

"So you think YOU can best ME in a physical challenge?", he roared and started to move forward again.

Galdar maintained his composure and raised his own weapon. "Today IS a good day to die!" he replied with quiet conviction.

The weapons rang as contact was made, amplified by the unnusual accoustics of the cave. Galdar put all his strength into the blow, forcing his opponent aside...then dropped his weapon and clapped both hands to his ears.

"Computer, freeze programme!" he shouted as he tried to bury his palms in the sides of his head to shut out the pain that the blow had caused.

He took a moment to gather himself then stood and reached for the klingon sword on the floor. "Resume!" he called.

The Klingon charged...Galdar swung...and honour was settled. The body twitched once and then lay still. Galdar took two steps forward and looked down at his ex-opponent as the Klingon dissolved from view. He was expressionless at first, but slowly, a toothy smile spread across his wrinkled face and he hefted his weapon above his head and opened his mouth to roar a challenge at the universe.

Suddenly, his mouth snapped closed without uttering a sound and he threw his bat'leth to the floor. Turning on his heel, he walked towards the blank wall.

"Computer. End program".

As he exited the holodeck he muttered to himself.

"If one four foot Klingon takes that much effort to defeat on the 'easy' setting, I'd better find myself another hobby!".

As the doors closed behind him he ran his hands lightly along the top of his lobes, removing the sweat that had gathered on the orange skin, and headed off towards his quarters on Station 416 in the typical bandy-legged gait of his species.

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

MaxFazu

Jack caught himself checking sensors again.  He knew the U.S.S. Ninnescah's alarm would bring any anomaly to his attention, but there was nothing worse than a surprise in open space.  Satisfied with the computers scans,  he slowly brought his eyes back to his data pad.   The Arabella was a great post, but she just lost 57 of her crew on her last outing.  He was familiar with covering for someones retirement or transfer. On this post however, he had the anguish of replacing a dead crew member.  A casualty that could have been the result of Borg assimilation! Jack shuddered, thinking about that fate. He sat forward in his seat. He would do his duty despite the awkward post.  Besides three more hours on this runabout,  and he would be at Starbase 416 and the Arabella.

"Maddock! Is there anything out there?"  Lieutenant Commander Smith was making his way forward to the  conn.

"No sir! Its all clear, and now its all yours."  Jack happily shifted the consoles controls over to the lieutenant, and therefor ending his shift.

Smith took the helm and double checked the sensors.  Three weeks alone with Smith was a trial all its own.  For a man whose ambition was to spend the rest of his carrier as a desk jockey, he was characteristically staunch.  Smith was delivering this brand new runabout to Starbase 416 then staying for his new assignment as this sectors native commodities administrator.  Despite his company, Jack was lucky to catch a ride with the lieutenant commander.  Unlike taking a personal shuttle he could take comfort in the knowledge that someone would be watching the conn during his downtime.  He leaned far back into his chair. Far from the responsibility and  controls of his console.  He sifted through an studied the personnel files of the Arabella's senior staff.  He also found the location of his quarters and every key system aboard.  He review detailed schematics, knowing he could have to repair any terminal.  Jack searched the files until he could no longer keep himself conscious.

"Maddock"  Smiths voice broke through his rem cycle.

Jack instinctively sprung forward, checking the Ninnescah's instruments

"Isn't she a beauty?"  The lieutenant stared in awe the the view port.

Jacks immediately raised his eyes to see the Arabella caged in repair arms docked with the station.

"Yes sir, those intrepids are special breed."  Jack said in reverence

Smith stared at him impatiently "the station Maddock"

"oow,  yes,  the station sir, she's very nice too" Jack couldn't agree completely but was careful not to patronize the commander.

The Ninnescah made her approach and a half roll to orientate herself with the starbase.  She quickly found her way past the Arabella, around the far side of  416, and to an unoccupied bay.  The landing on the docking pad was textbook(expedient but safe). Once it was stationary, it descended into the starbase, and eventual disappearance behind the bay's large sliding doors.

Bryancd

K'arath removed his dress jacket and heaved a sigh of relief. The promotion party had been very pleasurable and he enjoyed the opportunity to socialise and reacquaint himself with many of the senior staff following all the chaos of the Borg incursion. It would be good to get back into a more normal routine....a routine which would continue without some. Casualties in Engineering had been very high during the attack as the Borg sought to control the ship from there. With the help of the K'Tan and D'Callan, they had managed to save the rest. But the gaps in his team needed to be filled.

"Computer! Display Starfleet personnel record for Ensign Jacob Maddok."

The data appeared on he view screen of the terminal and K'arath sat back and read through the file while sipping an English Ale D'Callan had introduced him too. The Security Chief enjoyed his libations as much as K'arath. Ensign Maddock was a bit old for an Ensign, having only entered Starfleet Academy after serving in the enlisted ranks during the early years of his career. No doubt a man who knew how to put in an honest days work. He then served with some distinction on the Sutherland.

K'arath rose and prepared for bed. Tomorrow he would have a chance to meet the new Ensign and begin the task of rebuilding his team.

KC

Cyra’s fingers moved up and down the piano keys as she played the last bars of an upbeat instrumental. Her investigation of Ryla Drett had been cut short when she realized that she needed to be on stage with the band who were missing the piano accompaniment. She had rushed to the stage and joined in as soon as she was in reach of the keys. Although her band mates were not exactly pleased with her at the beginning of the set, tensions melted away as the music took over them. And Cyra was more than happy to rejoin a world she was familiar with. It was a world that was full of light and quarter-notes, where anyone who listened was more than welcome to enter. The song ended, and it was immediately followed by applause. Many clapped with a flourish; others clapped only loud enough for themselves to hear.

“Thank you, so much,” Cyra said. Then, without any verbal introduction, she began to play the beginning chords of the last song before the band would take their break. It wasn’t until she began singing the first verse when she realized the irony of the song she was playing. She smiled, and then let herself get carried away by her rendition of “Fly Me to the Moon.”

Feathers

"Ops to Ensign Galdar"

Galdar jumped as the comm signal rang out through Starbase 416, his hands reflexively moving to his ears. How long would it take him to get used to the Hew-mon volume that everything was set to? It wasn't like this was his first day in Starfleet but it took him by surprise every time. The Vulcans seemed to cope despite their excellent hearing yet here he was, flinching every time a call was made.

Mentally shrugging off the annoyance and bringing himself back to the present he tapped his combadge.

"Galdar"

"Ensign, please report to shuttlebay 4. The new Danube class runabout has arrived and I need you to complete the formalities."

"Understood, Commander. Out."

Tapping the badge again, Galdar quickened his pace, moving with more purpose now that he had something specific to do.

Starbase service was certainly more interesting than many of the orbital facilities he might have been posted to, but having been here for a while, he was surprised at how little really went on. What was the point of posting pilots to a station where so little piloting was actually required? Perhaps he'd been wrong in accepting a Starbase assignment? It wasn't as if most of the base staff weren't fully capable of flying the available craft in any case. It was almost a basic requirement for Starfleet service after all. Being posted to a base such as this meant everyone jumped at any piloting opportunity they could get...leaving him somewhat redundant.

Passing a port, his thoughts were interrupted by the sight of the docked Intrepid class ship and he paused to study it. After three weeks or so, the signs of exterior damage were slowly disappearing as the work crews progressed across the hull. It was still clear that she'd seen some recent action, however.

Moving off again, Galdar reminded himself to try and talk to a few of the crew and find out what had really happened. He didn't wholly trust the stories going around the station and there was little profit in rumour. While he may not be in business, he was still Ferengi and the 7th Rule of Acquisition was important: Always keep your ears open! (Not that he had a problem with THAT)

A turbolift arrived as he reached the doors. Good timing for once.

"Shuttlebay 4" he said, nodding up at the two crewmen already inside as he entered.

He stood to one side as the small pod hummed on its way and went back to considering his career. Promotion off station wasn't a realistic expectation at this point and reassignment aboard the Starbase would simply lead to more of the same. He had to find another alternative; he needed an 'opportunity'.

On Ferenginar he'd been pushed aside in the rush for latinum because he 'didn't have the lobes'. Here it was simply because the skills he did have weren't really required on the base. Should an ion storm ever engulf the place, they'd be glad of his flying skills but until then...

This was partly why he'd started to mess about with the various holo-entertainments the base offered - he needed something to keep him occupied.

He chuckled to himself again at the thought of the four foot tall angry Klingon. Occupied yes, battling holo-midgets? No!

He composed himself as the doors hissed open, noticing the slightly odd glance from the female Lieutenant beside him as he did so. He ignored her and straightened his uniform as he stepped forward out of the lift toward the internal bay doors.

---------

The Lieutenant watched the small, slightly stooped figure of the Ferengi until the lift doors closed and the car started to move again. She'd seen him about in the few months that he'd been on 416 but had never been sure what to make of him. A Ferengi in Starfleet was rare, to be sure, but a Ferengi pilot? Where was the profit in that?

She shrugged. By all accounts he was a good officer and a good pilot and she knew better than to let racial issues cloud her judgment of a colleague but still...those teeth took some getting used to! This time it was she that smiled as she returned her attention to the PADD she'd been pretending to study for the entire ride.

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.