• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Make sure to join the Treks in Sci-Fi group on Facebook.

Main Menu

Alternate ending to ST: Generations - video

Started by Rico, April 17, 2007, 05:35:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rico

Jeff emailed me and was asking about the alternate ending to the Star Trek: Generations film.  I grabbed the scene off my 2 disc DVD set and put it up on YouTube.  Basically it's an extended fight scene between Kirk and Soran.  Plus Kirk dies a bit differently.  I kind of prefer it over the movie version.  Let me know what you all think.

[youtube=425,350]KwQZWdzDwTo[/youtube]

Geekyfanboy

I heard that when the tested the film, fans didn't like the way Kirk died.. they said it was a senseless death and that Kirk didn't get any final words. So they reworked it so Kirk has that big finale and reactivates the missile just in time and then has his final words to Picard.

I liked both endings, I think I like the one in the movie just because I've seen it so many times.

Movie Sean

I'd go with the move one myself.

I like how it caries on Kirk's idea of dying alone.  Well, more alone then in the alternate ending. 

It wouldnt' of killed me to see that version. 

Nice to see more Generations stuff, I always feel like it gets abused way too much. 

I liked it myself.  Though it was the first trek film I saw in the theatre when I considered myself a trek fan.  I had seen others, but I was going with my dad as a kid.  Sure the whales were cool, but who's that sulu guy?  :)
Call me cocky, but if there's an alien I can't kill, I haven't met him and killed him yet.

Rico

I still ultimately think it would of been much better if Kirk hadn't died at all.  This could of brought him into the TNG time line and setup a lot of cool stuff.  Of course, Shatner does bring him back in his series of Kirk novels, most of which are pretty good.

JoSpiv

It was very interesting.

And for me, really shows how important music and score is to a film.    It's really amazing.
"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing as wanting.  It is not logical, but it is often true." - Spock

Geekyfanboy

Quote from: JoSpiv on April 17, 2007, 03:40:50 PM
It was very interesting.

And for me, really shows how important music and score is to a film.    It's really amazing.

Yeah I thought the same thing... big difference

Fanboy

"I aim to misbehave."

Jobydrone

Unfortunately no amount of post production editing can redeem the script.  All kidding aside, Spock's Brain not withstanding, Kirk's death is the single most disgraceful moment in Trek history.  To take one of the most iconic figures in popular culture and throw him off a bridge has got to go down as the worst idea ever.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Geekyfanboy

Quote from: Jobydrone4of20 on April 17, 2007, 06:21:32 PM
To take one of the most iconic figures in popular culture and throw him off a bridge has got to go down as the worst idea ever.

Do you prefer the alternate ending and Kirk getting shot in the back?

CocaCola1

Something I thought that would've been different while Kirk was laying there near death was to have a montage of "classic" Kirk moments. Their are lots of them. The fights, the villains, the tribbles, AND the ladies. And then say his line, "It was fun." Yeah...It would've been a real tearjerker.

metron07

1. All that jet plane noise! Yes Score is SOOO important.
2. The movie ending is much better.
3. I agree they should have not killed off Kirk. I wonder if Shatter had anything to do with that writing decision?
4. I also agree having his life flash before his death would have been very emotional.

It's time someone had the idea to make an entire movie about Westley Crusher's travels through time and space and how he has an adventure that includes all the Trek greats including Kirk and brings him back. Will, please come and save us!
:2cents
PS My favorite line of the movie ending. "Oh My" :'(

Poodyglitz

I thought Kirk and Picard were going to kiss for a moment.  ;D

Seriously, Kirk's death, if it had to happen, was a little better here. But Soren's was better in the movie. The fact that Picard and Kirk exchanged no words was a bit empty in this version. The fight scene between Soren and Kirk had no style in either version. There were better fight scenes in TOS. What I'll give George Lucas is his sensibility for crafting fight scenes.

I'll certainly agree that music plays a huge role. However, no amount of music, choreography or editing can clean up a horrible idea. Kirk still should not have died so. If he was to die, it should have been much more heroic, like doing a Kamikaze run into another ship or riding the missile in order to veer it off course. Heck, he could have even blown up the terminal with himself and Soren there.

Darkmolerman

lol i got tierd of 2 people beating eachother up....WHOA! what kind of kid am i....
"He can't act out of a cardboard box"- Rick Moyer

"I know the answer now sometimes the doctor must look at this planet and look at it in shame" -Gwen Cooper

Poodyglitz

Quote from: Darkmolerman on April 17, 2007, 08:02:00 PM
lol i got tierd of 2 people beating eachother up....WHOA! what kind of kid am i....

One who appreciates a finely crafted, well choreograped fight scene, I would imagine. :-)

metron07

All I can say after reading everyone's comments below again is.. I have another dream.

A dream where the people who make these films include a group of serious fans like us to help them make these script decisions.

Yes, I know, but how would it remain a secret before the movie opens?

My answer, make such a great movie that knowing the plot outline will never be better than seeing it. Remember Lord of the Rings anyone!!!

It may be time for such a movement in the 40+ year history of this franchise. More interaction with us from the movie makers and less of a passive roll by the fans.

In every revolution there are people with a vision.

I know, just a dream. But it's fun to think about.