• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

The next podcast will be on Feb. 19th and will be a guest cast by Mark.

Main Menu

What would it take to start the Federation today?

Started by The IC, November 29, 2007, 12:35:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The IC

Short of a nuclear war and warp drive technology, what would it take for ordinary people like me and you to make the Star Trek future a reality here on this Earth?

We all found Treks in Sci-Fi, because Gene Roddenberry's vision of the future spoke to us (and Rico publishes one hell of a podcast).

I just see too many differences in the world, and too many people refuse to compromise their principles for the greater good of humanity.  Too many political systems are corrupt, and too many people are suffering under the crushing weight of those systems.  This is the world that we live in.  How do we change it?

space_invader64

I think it would take us finding planets with friendly aliens who wanted to join efforts for trade, defence, and science.

The IC

I don't think that would completely do it.  You would have religious nuts, and crazy people coming out of the woodwork sending people into a panic.

And the government would try to blow them off as weather balloons.

Geekyfanboy

I agree.. the human race is not ready to meet Aliens. We as humans would shoot first then ask questions.

There are too many difference in the world. Religion alone separates us. If we either joined under one religion (which would never happen) or get rid of it all together (again won't happen) there will always be difference and conflict.

Jen

What a cheery subject.  :D

As long as we remain pessimistic and "doom and gloomish" then no, it won't ever happen because we've abandoned all hope. If we don't have hope for a better world, and make an effort to make that world better, then what's the point of dreaming? What's the point of anything? I think Gene would be disappointed that people have been inspired by the technology in his universe, but his ideas regarding world peace are considered unattainable...too hard to achieve. Why shouldn't we endeavour to achieve that ideal as well? Why give up simply because it's never been done?

*edit*

In Gene Roddenberry's universe the Federation goes beyond the orbit of Earth... It encompasses many worlds who hold to many different philosophies. For the most part they live together peaceably within the Federation. The ones that make war are the worlds who live outside that circle. I think it's possible to achieve this while maintaining diversity... we don't need to drop religion. We need to learn and embrace the concept of brotherly love. Lots of people prescribe to that mantra but they don't always practice it. 

I believe the world will change one day. I have to, because hope is an important part of who I am and what makes me get up in the morning and meet the day.
Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

iceman

There have been more wars fought over religion then anything else, I don't think it is possible at the moment especially with our reliance on fossil fuels, and an economy based on a monetary system, as there will always be countries that have more wealth then others and that alone continues to  breed jealousy and suspicion,

I think in order for this to happen our present world economy would have to colapse and a new type of energy source which is cheap and plentiful would have to be found.

space_invader64

Well first things first we would have to find some aliens.  And are there any?

I saw the creationist video "The Case for a Creator" and they discussed the possiblity of alien life.  Not something we ever talked about in sunday school!  They interviewed an astro biolegest, which is a field of study I didn't even know we have today, and felt it was interesting.  He discusses the factors nessessery for life and tries to calcute how many planets there could be with life on them.  

Now this is a creationist video so it does have a possition from the begining.

Here is a clip of it. The astrobioligst is about 3 minutes in.  I'm sure that we have people on the forums on all sides of the debates but I found things in the video to be quite informative.  Even if you don't agree it really makes the viewer think.  I think many scifi fans will enjoy it.  Even who don't agree.  I think some of those guys should write scifi stories.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=z2KpQ0lI_Xg

PepperDude

I think the whole premise of first finding aliens is wrong. It's not as if they will solve humanity's problems. We need to fix our problems ourselves. Most planets don't join the Federation unless they have their house in order.

I agree with Iceman that one of the first things we need find is a new source of energy. I concluded about 10 years ago that that particular source of energy is nuclear fusion. The last article I read on that technology stated that we might expect a decent reactor in about 50 years or so. I don't think the world economy needs to completely collapse though. With nuclear fusion, we'll have virtually a limitless amount of energy.

Then we'll have to worry about dealing with bringing the developing nations up to better living standards. Once living standards go up, the rate of increase in population decreases. So eventually, the human population on planet Earth will reach a plateau.

With the whole world on the same page (economically) more or less, we then need to continue to work at getting along with each other. We can do that through many different ways including launching major collaborative projects such as: mission to Titan, Uranus, the Oort Cloud, Alpha Centauri. . .

I know, it sounds kinda simplistic and maybe not too well thought out but that's the idea.

Rico

When a subject comes up like this I always think of the exchange between Edith Keeler and Kirk in "City on the Edge of Forever."  It goes something like this....

"In the future they will take all the money that's spent on war and fighting and start spending it on life." 

A simple concept that will take a lot to achieve.

X

For me the "key" to creating the Federation is acceptance. Not just the PC pretend to be accepting but you really aren't acceptance, but actual acceptance. Start with religion and go from there. Sure everyone that has a faith thinking that their faith is the right one, but the moment that they start accepting that not everyone agrees with them and that it's actually okay to disagree, there will be problems. Once religion stops trying to convince everyoen else that they have the true path and faith returns to being about an individual and their personal beliefs, then we can take a first step.

After the faith thing is cleared up, we need to eliminate borders and nationalism. As we move deeper into the 21st century we as people of the internet realize that Earth is a lot smaller and more connected than other generations thought. Food shouldn't be spoiling in one place while another starves for lack of it. When individuals start acting for the good of humanity and not just their part of the world we take another step.

Now here is the easy solution. Teach your children true tolerance and that they should be looking beyond their home and beyond their country to see how they can help with the world. Teach them that their faith is theri choice and absolutly nothing bad will happen to them if someone has a different faith. The universe is large enough to were all beliefs can  be respected.

Have your children pass these ideas to theri children and those simple steps become a brighter path to the future. Energy problems will be solved because great mind will be working in cooperation and not competition. Hunger will be solved because it will no longer be someone else's problem.

Utopia begins with parents teach there children to be better aware of the world, more willing to help people that they don't know, and to be more tolerant than the generation before them.

space_invader64

I am a Baptist.  And personally, I believe everyone has the right to believe what they want to.  If they want to believe that the moon is made of cheese. they have as much a right to believe that as I do to believe what I believe.

I don't think religion is the problem. I have noticed that people have no shortage of things to go crazy over, if not religion, then politics, sports, money, and plenty of other things.  Some people get the idea in their head that everyone should be in compleate agreement with them.  I think it's something about human nature to seek confrontation with people.

Jen

I agree space_invader.

Quote from: space_invader64 on November 29, 2007, 03:28:52 PM
I am a Baptist.  And personally, I believe everyone has the right to believe what they want to.  If they want to believe that the moon is made of cheese. they have as much a right to believe that as I do to believe what I believe.

I don't think religion is the problem. I have noticed that people have no shortage of things to go crazy over, if not religion, then politics, sports, money, and plenty of other things.  Some people get the idea in their head that everyone should be in compleate agreement with them.  I think it's something about human nature to seek confrontation with people.

Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

PepperDude

I also agree with space_invader and Jen. Achieving religious harmony first will not bring about a utopia. There are many other issues that bring about conflict in the world.

Just X, your idea is easy but I'm not sure that it's very practical--at least not in the short run. In the long run I can see it happening. However, how do you change the intolerant ways of entire families and populations? How can we change the point of view of the head of an intolerant household? clan? country?

Frankly, I'm not holding my breath that we will change our ways any time soon. While change does start with each individual, we have a long way to go before we all get along.

space_invader64

There have been wars fought over religion.  Today, I wouldn't be supprised if a war were to be fought over the result of a soccer game.  Some of those fans look ready to go to war after a loss.

wraith1701

You guys are all bringing up some very good points.   ;D

It seems to me that the biggest source of most of society's current problems is a our divisiveness.  People seem cursed with the inability to see that we are all actually more alike than different.  I believe that the discovery that we are not alone in the universe would go a long way towards uniting humanity- it would definitely  help us put our differences into perspective. 

Of course, such a discovery would bring about its own contentious issues, but overall, I think it would be good for us.