• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Podcast # 893 is now up covering TV Themes

Main Menu

"Collision Course" - Week one - Ch. 1 - 19

Started by Rico, April 07, 2008, 05:19:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rico

Starting the new book club entry this week.  Book is about 450 pages.  So about 150 pages a week is what we're shooting for.  Don't worry if you get behind, just jump in the discussion when you can.  It appears to be a pretty easy and quick read too.

So, week one discussion here.

P.S.  If you have read this book completely already, please refrain from posting any final thoughts or spoilers here before the rest of us have a chance to read it.  Thanks!

Rico

Got about 50 pages in at lunch.  Very easy reading.  Really interesting take so far on a very young Kirk and Spock.

Rico

Anyone else reading this?  It reads very quickly.  Almost at my 150 for this week.  Interesting references to various things in Trek history.  I'm enjoying it.

CaptEnt01

Rico and all, this has to be the worst Shatner(esque) novel, and the ending, well, after you say "of course", you then feel like throwing the book against a convenient bulkhead.  Fortunately I didn't or I could have never sold it on Amazon as fast as I could.  I'm not sure, you're far more in the know on this, but I thought I heard the publishers had shelved the trilogy as it may not quite match the trilogy. It is a quick read, I'll give you that.  Right now plowing through Excelsior: Forged in Fire.

CaptEnt01

I meant the new movie, not the trilogy. Sorry. The book won't match the movie at all.

Rico

Quote from: CaptEnt01 on April 09, 2008, 04:43:56 PM
Rico and all, this has to be the worst Shatner(esque) novel, and the ending, well, after you say "of course", you then feel like throwing the book against a convenient bulkhead.  Fortunately I didn't or I could have never sold it on Amazon as fast as I could.  I'm not sure, you're far more in the know on this, but I thought I heard the publishers had shelved the trilogy as it may not quite match the trilogy. It is a quick read, I'll give you that.  Right now plowing through Excelsior: Forged in Fire.

As I said in the first post in this thread, this isn't the place for final thoughts about this book.  I'm fine with differing viewpoints, but this isn't the time or the place for those.

Ktrek

Quote from: CaptEnt01 on April 09, 2008, 04:43:56 PM
I'm not sure, you're far more in the know on this, but I thought I heard the publishers had shelved the trilogy as it may not quite match the trilogy. It is a quick read, I'll give you that.  Right now plowing through Excelsior: Forged in Fire.

The book was the first of a duology and not a trilogy this time. It has sold so very poorly, due to various reasons, that it's not likely to ever see a sequel. I'll reserve further comments until the last week of the discussion.

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

CaptEnt01

"As I said in the first post in this thread, this isn't the place for final thoughts about this book.  I'm fine with differing viewpoints, but this isn't the time or the place for those."

My bad. Forgive a rare poster. Enjoy the book.