• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

The next podcast will be on Feb. 19th and will be a guest cast by Mark.

Main Menu

Trek News - TNG Remastered Like TOS

Started by News Bot, July 28, 2007, 05:23:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KingIsaacLinksr

Now I know what that enterprise looked familiar, because the Generations Enterprise D looks almost the same quality. 

King
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

turtlesrock

those pics are amazing! you can actually see every little window! :D

ChrisMC

Quote from: turtlesrock on September 29, 2011, 06:37:15 PM
those pics are amazing! you can actually see every little window! :D

I know, I am SO happy they are using the footage of the models. The workmanship and artistry that went into creating these things gets to live on. There's nothing like a physical model as far as I'm concerned, still to this day.
Check out our Classic BSG podcast! http://ragtagfugitivepodcast.com/

stonut

i wonder if you buy the pre release teaser your going to gain from it in another way. As obviously the episodes will also be in the normal release. That said i for one will be buying them. TNG is my favourite.

Geekyfanboy

Star Trek: The Next Generation - 'The Next Level' Blu-ray Disc Release Will Have a 13-Second Hitch, the Studio Says

An EXTREMELY short passage in 'Sins of the Father' won't be true high-def
Posted by David Lambert
   11/07/2011

At the end of September, CBS DVD and Paramount Home Entertainment officially announced their January 31st release of Star Trek: The Next Generation - The Next Level on high-def Blu-ray Disc. This single-disc, 182-minute release includes three classic episodes: the double-length pilot "Encounter at Farpoint", the Klingon-centric episode "Sins of the Father", and the epic Picard-oriented story "The Inner Light". The announcement for this title explained how much work the studio has been putting into making it a true high-def experience:

CBS is...returning to the original film negatives, a mother lode of material encompassing 25,000-plus reels of footage, and editing the episodes together precisely as they were when they originally aired between 1987 and 1994. Visual effects will not be upconverted from videotape, but instead will be recompositioned. The freshly cut film will ultimately be transferred to high definition with 7.1 DTS Master Audio.

That's great, but now it appears that a VERY minor hitch has come up with one of these three installments. In a document sent to retailers today, CBS/Paramount included the following notice about 13 seconds (i.e., a VERY short amount of time!) from one of these episodes:

"Sins of the Father" - 13 seconds of the original film elements for this episode have not been located and thus have been upconverted from Standard Definition videotape.

That's all the information included, and on the face of it you might be a tad alarmed. But as a super-intense fan of this show myself, you know what? Speaking for myself, it's all right. This is actually pretty minor, if you ask my opinion. I'm not going to get upset over 13 seconds, y'know? If you want to get upset over that, well, that's your prerogative of course, and I understand. I suppose I'm more concerned, however, over whether this issue may possibly crop up again with other episodes as the rest of the seven seasons gets upgraded to high-def. Will that happen? Only time will tell, of course. Stay tuned, and if we learn of anything further about this, then we'll certainly let you know! In the meantime, kudos to CBS/Paramount for owning up to this, and letting it be known in advance. It's certainly not going to affect MY plans to purchase these!

Taken from: http://tvshowsondvd.com/n/16190#ixzz1d4fHGv7D

Ktrek

I don't think 13 seconds will stop me from buying this test set but I am a little concerned that this might be a common problem. I guess we'll see how the upconvert looks and go from there.

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

billybob476

Frankly I'm amazed that's all they're missing from a show that's over 20 years old. I imagine that this might be an issue with the earlier seasons.

Rico

I admire them being upfront about it.  A tiny, upcoverted segment is something no one probably would ever have noticed.  I'm sure this will happen in places in other episodes as well.  But, 99.9% is of the original film footage is plenty ok with me!  :)

KingIsaacLinksr

Quote from: Rico on November 08, 2011, 06:19:43 AM
I admire them being upfront about it.  A tiny, upcoverted segment is something no one probably would ever have noticed.  I'm sure this will happen in places in other episodes as well.  But, 99.9% is of the original film footage is plenty ok with me!  :)

You underestimate us geeks, I'm sure someone would have noticed :P

king
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

Dangelus

Not an issue for me and yes it is refreshing to have the honesty about. I just hope they don't find any more missing segments! :)

stonut

Well even with the 13 seconds missing I will be buying it and the rest of them when they drop. After seeing the job they did on TOS I have confidence

ChrisMC

http://www.startrek.com/article/the-next-generation-blu-rays-launch-in-2012

There is an extended teaser showing some of the remastered FX shots from Farpoint and the Enterprise orbiting Q'onos from Sins of the Father..nifty!
Check out our Classic BSG podcast! http://ragtagfugitivepodcast.com/

turtlesrock

Ktrek

I sure wish we were getting more than three episodes on this release. I have to say though that the images streamed are better quality than the crappy DVDs we have. I will be replacing them for sure if and when they release the season sets. I think all will depend on the feedback they get from purchases of this little set.

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

Jobydrone

Bah I love my DVDs, the special features and bonus discs from the original sets.  All seven seasons occupy the highest point of honor, on the top shelf of my DVD collction next to the extended LOTR trilogy and the first DVD release of the original Star Wars trilogy.  I don't anticipate replacing them ever, I spent too much money on that set and they mean too much to me...something like $130 bucks per set when they came out if I recall correctly, although the hours of enjoyment I got out of them is hard to put a value to.  I don't need HD, new effects, remastering, remodeling, or anything at all, what I have is pretty much just exactly perfect.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx