• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Podcast # 893 is now up covering TV Themes

Main Menu

Cosmos on Fox

Started by davekill, March 04, 2014, 08:14:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davekill

Sunday, March 9th marks the beginning of a new era of exploration.

A show that's sure to stretch your imagination with high hopes and dazzling CGI effects.

No, it's not Firefly - let's hope it fairs better.

http://io9.com/neil-degrasse-tyson-explains-why-the-new-cosmos-matters-1534876280

Bryancd

Loved the original Cosmos, Carl Sagan was my childhood hero.

Bromptonboy

I loved the older series as well.  These are some big shoes to fill.  I really like DeGrasse-Tyson, but always thought Michio Kaku would be a better fit for this show.  At any rate, I will not miss an episode
Pete

davekill

The new Cosmos: A Space-Time Odyssey looks to have a different list of episode titles than the original.

It's wiki page only lists the first three so far.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmos:_A_Space-Time_Odyssey

Rico

ricdude

Can't wait!  Hopefully Hulu will have it for the disconnected among us.

ChrisMC

Quote from: Bromptonboy on March 04, 2014, 09:58:27 AM
I loved the older series as well.  These are some big shoes to fill.  I really like DeGrasse-Tyson, but always thought Michio Kaku would be a better fit for this show.  At any rate, I will not miss an episode
Hm, I agree Kaku would be a great choice for this show, he's amazing...but I think NDG has a better presence on TV, great voice and all. I remember Cosmos when I was a kid, had no idea what was going on but it all sounded very important.
Check out our Classic BSG podcast! http://ragtagfugitivepodcast.com/

Bromptonboy

Quote from: ChrisMC on March 06, 2014, 02:24:45 PM
Hm, I agree Kaku would be a great choice for this show, he's amazing...but I think NDG has a better presence on TV, great voice and all. I remember Cosmos when I was a kid, had no idea what was going on but it all sounded very important.
I am sure I will like it.  This may sound strange, but NDG has a very informal, irreverent, and more humorous approach - which I like - but seems like it might be at out of sync with this old man's expectations for Carl Sagan's successor.  :)
Pete

X

Quote from: Bromptonboy on March 06, 2014, 02:55:47 PM
Quote from: ChrisMC on March 06, 2014, 02:24:45 PM
I am sure I will like it.  This may sound strange, but NDG has a very informal, irreverent, and more humorous approach - which I like - but seems like it might be at out of sync with this old man's expectations for Carl Sagan's successor.  :)
I agree with you in some of this, but I think it's NDG's passion for science and passion for getting this project after years of fighting for it that will make it something that more than the geeks can enjoy. I think he's a scientist that speaks better to the expectations of this generation and I honestly think that Carl's presentation style wouldn't play well to the students of today.

30 years ago, there was more a quest of knowledge for the sake of knowledge. Nowadays, it's all about inspiring passion to convince people that the knowledge is worth the time they invest into the show.

Rico

Kind of depends on the audience they get to watch. Hopefully some younger folks will tune in and not just us who recall the Sagan show so fondly.

Bromptonboy

Yes you are both right about that.  I'll watch at any rate.  Getting younger people inspired takes someone who can grab their attention and speak to them.

On a side note - my brother (older than me) who was a Physics major at his school (while these were originally aired) used to sniff at my young enthusiam and turn up his nose at 'pop-science'.  :) 

That reminds me, I have to tease him about that..and remember that when I 'judge' NDG.
Pete

davekill

Pretty good interview of Niel deGrasse Tyson by Bill Moyer.

Carl Sagan and a look ahead at the new Cosmos is discussed.

http://youtu.be/da3G2ezt9R0

Bromptonboy

So what is the verdict?
Pete

davekill

Loved it, so cool!

The opening should be used on the next Trek TV series.

The online reviews are pretty much saying the same thing as Zap2it.

http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethebox/2014/03/cosmos-review-neil-degrasse-tyson-brings-brilliant-science-questionable-history-to-the-world.html

MARKO

I didn't like it at all ....boring and the music wasn't very good  like the original very disappointed.  The host didn't draw me in or peak my interest, that's my opinion.
"Amat Victoria Curam"