News:

Podcast # 893 is now up covering TV Themes

Main Menu

Where have you been?

Started by cosmonaut, April 17, 2009, 08:35:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cosmonaut

My favorite movie when I was young was "The Last Unicorn"

"Where have you been?" she cried. "Damn you, where have you been?" She took a few steps toward Schmendrick, but she was looking beyond him, at the unicorn.

I later moved on to "Star Trek: The Next Generation" which proved a great incentive to learn English. (I knew a guy in school who bought the British video tapes in a comic shop, he had episodes before they aired in German TV!!!)
I really like Picard, ethics are somewhat important, you know?

I'm from south Germany but moved to Berlin a few years back to study sociology. Berlin is very interesting. It seemed stuck in the past, and now it hurries to catch up with the rest of the world. Sometimes it feels like you can touch history, the present, the past. Though I didn't find all the answers I was looking for.

Well, I was hesitant to say hello here because everyone is so very nice and I thought I do some lurking to make sure it wasn't a one-time-appearance never to be seen again. But I instantly felt the urge to take part in the conversations and had to be careful not to unearth old treads. :)

Some people here even get my jokes, which is a rather unusual occurrence. I think finally found my kind. I doubt you will get rid of me soon! :)

So... where have you been all my life? ;)

Rico

Glad you are with us.  I've been to Berlin and several places in Germany too - lovely country.  I have some pictures up from my trips here:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/treksf/sets/

And yes, everyone here is very nice.  And I really mean that.  Some of the best geeks around!

Feathers

I've worked at the airports in Berlin, Hamburg, Frankfurt, Munich and Cologne but this was all about 15 years ago. I'm sure everything has changed now. It's a lovely country that I'm still very fond of.

It's always good to get new members so stick around. I haven't been here a year yet but I feel like I've been a member for a lot longer. It's a nice place :)

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

wraith1701

Never been to Berlin, but lived in Idar Oberstein and Heidelberg from age 7 to 14.

cosmonaut

Rico, you mentioned in the podcast that you have been to Germany, but I didn't know there were pictures. They look very typical for Germany, is Christmas season very different to the USA?

Feathers, I'm not sure that much has changed, besides Berlin. They recently closed Tempelhof airport and the west Berlin people were quite sentimental about it. It was the place most connected to the Allied airlift when Berlin was cut off from the west by the Soviet Union. You probably know Tegel, they want to close that one, too. They built out Schönefeld outside the city boarders, in Brandenburg.

Wraith1701, Heidelberg is about the area I lived before moving to Berlin, so there is a very remote chance that we passed each other on the streets. ;)

I'm surprised so many of you have been to Germany or even speak German. And I'm very glad you have some positive impressions! :)