• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Podcast # 893 is now up covering TV Themes

Main Menu

Majel Barrett Roddenberry Dies At 76

Started by spidey27, December 18, 2008, 01:26:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iceman

I had the Pleasure of meeting her a few times, she was one of the nicest people you could ever meet. She will be sadly missed by many people.

Jen

I never had the pleasure of meeting her, but I wish I had. She was a true Anomaly. I admire her pioneering spirit and her devotion to her husband, family, Trek and fandom. May she find peace among the stars.
Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

Tan-Ru (banned)

Something I just found on Youtube.
I'm gonna miss her. I frequently would get lost in those blue eyes.
One of the founders. Rob  :'(
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3WOY9SwyOs

Ktrek

This evening as a tribute, and in honor of Mrs. Roddenberry, my wife and I watched three Star Trek episodes in which she played a prominent role.

First we watched the classic TOS episode The Naked Time. I have always loved this episode about the virus that spreads among the crew after Spock and another science officer investigate the mysterious deaths of Starfleet Personnel on a planet doomed to destruction. Under the influence of the virus Nurse Chapel (Majel Barrett) tells Spock that she is in love with him. In doing so she spreads the virus to Spock who then is almost unable to control his emotions. I love how he tells her that he is very sorry for her.

Second, we watched the 1st season episode of TNG called Haven in which Lwaxana Troi makes her first appearance. In this episode she arrives with wedding presents and the husband to be of Deanna, unbeknown to Deanna I might add. The man Deanna is promised to was surprised when he sees her because she was not who he had expected. All his life he has had dreams of a woman who he had always believed was Deanna calling him. Lwaxana however, despises the bridegrooms parents and it makes for many humorous moments. In fact this episode has many funny moments.

Third, we watched the 5th season episode Cost of Living. This is one of my favorite episodes. Interestingly enough the tables are turned in this episode and it's Lwaxana that is getting married and her groom is arriving on the Enterprise. She wants the captain to give her away. The main story however, centers on her relationship with Worf's son Alexander and there are some wonderful moments of her and Alexander in the holosuite.

Sometime in the near future I would like to sit down and watch all the Lwaxana episodes back to back. That would make for a fun day!

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

M-5

Today is a sad day in the Trek Universe.  May she rest in peace.

celestialteapot

This question has baffled mankind for all eternity... why don't sheep shrink in the rain?

Rico

Meds

Rest in Peace Majel, a sad day for all Trek fans. Lets hope they dedicate the new film to her, that would be a nice touch.

Bryancd

Quote from: HawkeyeMeds on December 19, 2008, 08:55:05 AM
Rest in Peace Majel, a sad day for all Trek fans. Lets hope they dedicate the new film to her, that would be a nice touch.

Nice one, Meds, that would be very appropriate.

Meds

Quote from: Bryancd on December 19, 2008, 09:34:55 AM
Nice one, Meds, that would be very appropriate.

Knew you would appreciate that mate. It was her last work as well so seems fitting.

alanp

We've lost a lot of good people recently.

Meds

Alas Alan we are all getting older and the people we grew up with on TV are passing away. I was shocked to hear about the great Peter Falk has advanced stages of Alzheimer's disease. He was on TV here in England and was on great form, feel shocked by that.

Kirk-Fu

This caught me by suprise. Still a bit tough to accept. Such a wonderful actress, a beautiful woman, and so much a part of my life for close to 40 years. And since I never met her, that goes to show what a wonderful and close family the Star Trek clan is.

Ugh....I feel sick.

My best to Rod. My parents are both gone also, it's tough.

Tan-Ru (banned)

On October 1 (1994), just before the start of the Planetary Studies Foundation's Annual Benefit Dinner....

MBR: Well, the fact is space is a new land, this is a new place, this is a new world, this is unknown. This is uncharted, this is all there is. We don't have any other place to go. I always quote Gene as saying "Why are we now going into space? Well, why did we take the trouble to look past the next mountain? Our prime obligation to ourselves is to make the unknown known. We are on a journey to keep an appointment with whatever we are." And that is our whole philosophy of Star Trek, of life, of everything else. ....

Meds

According to a new Shatner video he's put up in tribute he says that Majel didn't get the chance to record the computer voice. Anyone know the truth to this,