• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Don't forget to drop a review on iTunes for the podcast sometime or send a donation in for the show.

Main Menu

HBO's Game of Thrones

Started by Bromptonboy, August 18, 2009, 06:17:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bromptonboy

I have read a few articles about his ideas for a 10 - 12 prequel novellas that take place about 100 years before our time frame in Westeros.  That sounds great, but I want him to keep his eye on the ball with the main novel series.

[spoiler]He better have written down in a safe someplace who Jon Snow's real parents are! I am convinced that he is the son of Eddard's sister and prince Rhaegar.  And that the thing that Ned 'promised' his sister on her death bed, was to take care of Jon...  That would also make Jon the 3rd head of the Dragon that Daenyrs is looking for..[/spoiler]
Pete

Rico

Pete - You might want to spoiler enclose that section about John Snow.  For those of us just watching the TV series, I don't think that has come up yet.

Bromptonboy

Quote from: Rico on May 29, 2013, 09:52:17 AM
Pete - You might want to spoiler enclose that section about John Snow.  For those of us just watching the TV series, I don't think that has come up yet.
Right!  Modified.
Pete

ChrisMC

Of course Jon Snow's origins are a complete mystery...it's mostly fan speculation. But Pete's theory is the top one.
Check out our Classic BSG podcast! http://ragtagfugitivepodcast.com/

X

Quote from: Bromptonboy on May 29, 2013, 09:55:44 AM
Right!  Modified.
Pete, I totally agree with you on this and I've always thought that. It's also why [spoiler]He never called Jon his son.[/spoiler]

X

Quote from: ChrisMC on May 29, 2013, 10:17:05 AM
Of course Jon Snow's origins are a complete mystery...it's mostly fan speculation. But Pete's theory is the top one.
Speculation true, but there are a bunch of facts in there that push you to that direction. Off the top of my head I can recall three things in the book that pretty much lay it all out, the only thing missing is in story confirmation. I think that the Red Witch might be the one to do that.

X

Actually, everything that Pete brought up was covered in the first season of the show. The speculation isn't covered, but it's not quite a spoiler. All of that stuff happened before Ned died. It was just glossed over as unimportant that they didn't focus on it.

ChrisMC

Quote from: X on May 30, 2013, 01:27:09 PM
Quote from: ChrisMC on May 29, 2013, 10:17:05 AM
Speculation true, but there are a bunch of facts in there that push you to that direction. Off the top of my head I can recall three things in the book that pretty much lay it all out, the only thing missing is in story confirmation. I think that the Red Witch might be the one to do that.
[spoiler]I'm sure this is nothing new, but I have come to think that a Song of Ice and Fire refers to Jon (Ice) and Daenerys (Fire), which is why I am fairly certain, or hopeful, that he did not meet his end in ADOD. (I think we may see some Lord of Light help) The 2 children of Rhaegar Targaryen ruling? [/spoiler]

Bromptonboy

Much what I am thinking as well.
Pete

ChrisMC

Oops, [spoiler] Daenerys is The Mad Kings daughter, not Rhaegar's. Duh. If Jon Snow IS Rhaegar's son, he's her nephew. Right. [/spoiler]

X

Quote from: ChrisMC on May 30, 2013, 05:10:49 PM
Oops, [spoiler] Daenerys is The Mad Kings daughter, not Rhaegar's. Duh. If Jon Snow IS Rhaegar's son, he's her nephew. Right. [/spoiler]

[spoiler]The family tree is messed up, but if Jon is Rhaegar's son, then he's the rightful King, as Rhaegar was the crown prince. She would be his Aunt and probably his wife if traditions were followed. He would also be the third child of the crown prince and the third head of the dragon.[/spoiler]

Bromptonboy

Quote from: X on May 30, 2013, 06:23:26 PM

[spoiler]The family tree is messed up, but if Jon is Rhaegar's son, then he's the rightful King, as Rhaegar was the crown prince. She would be his Aunt and probably his wife if traditions were followed. He would also be the third child of the crown prince and the third head of the dragon.[/spoiler]
[spoiler]The Dragon has 3 heads...and Jon has vowed not to take a crown\family.  Cersei has a prophecy about being replaced by a younger and prettier queen.[/spoiler]
Pete

X

Quote from: Bromptonboy on May 30, 2013, 07:08:36 PM

[spoiler]The Dragon has 3 heads...and Jon has vowed not to take a crown\family.  Cersei has a prophecy about being replaced by a younger and prettier queen.[/spoiler]

True but...
[spoiler] Jon has forsaken his vows in the last book. I think at this point anything goes. He vowed not to sleep with women and to stay on the wall, but these haven't worked out for him either.[/spoiler]

ChrisMC

Quote from: X on May 30, 2013, 07:12:21 PM
Quote from: Bromptonboy on May 30, 2013, 07:08:36 PM

True but...
[spoiler] Jon has forsaken his vows in the last book. I think at this point anything goes. He vowed not to sleep with women and to stay on the wall, but these haven't worked out for him either.[/spoiler]
AND [spoiler]if he dies his watch has ended, coming back from the dead would be just a technicality.[/spoiler]

Bromptonboy

Good thought! [spoiler]Yes, if Melisandre raises him, technically he has fulfilled his watch.[/spoiler]

I just finished my 're-listen' of the Book Audiobook (narrator not as talented as Roy Detrice), and have started in again on Book 5.
Pete