• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

The next podcast will be on Feb. 19th and will be a guest cast by Mark.

Main Menu

HBO's Game of Thrones

Started by Bromptonboy, August 18, 2009, 06:17:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rico

Loved the latest episode too.  Some great stuff.  I have a question.  Without giving away any details, do the books ever skip ahead in time?  Something like, three years have now passed in Westeros.  The reason I ask is it seems to me some of the younger characters will need to grow up a little faster at some point, I assume.

billybob476

As far as I remember, they do not.

Jobydrone

I don't think so.  In fact, the most recent book goes BACK in time, to before the ending of the fourth book if I recall correctly.  I think a bigger problem will be the younger kids aging too quickly. The actor who plays Bran in particular looks nearly unrecognizable this season as he seems to have hit pubery during the break.  At first I thought it was a different actor!
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Rico

Hmm, interesting.  I just can't little Arya Stark ever growing up fast enough to get her revenge.

Jobydrone

Quote from: Rico on April 24, 2013, 05:47:24 AM
Yeah, this latest episode really made me love this series.  I had a hard time with this show at first but I'm glad I stayed with it.  Really some great stuff going on now.  Daenyrus has become quite the leader.
So Rico, a question for you now that some of the payback you were looking for has been realized (spoilers only up to current episode):

[spoiler]Since we've seen the downfall of Jaime Lannister and witnessed him at the lowest point of his life, do you feel differently than you thought you would at this during season one?  The series is clearly taking great pains to change the way you feel about the man, and to even root for him now.  Are you able to contextualize his crimes from season one any differently or do you still hate him as much as you always did?[/spoiler]
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Rico

Good question Joby.  They are definitely trying to change how you feel about some of the characters...

[spoiler]While, yes I can feel for Jamie a little I would never be able to forgive him for what he did to Bran.  He has a long way to go to make up for past sins.  Same is maybe even more true for Cersei.  And Joffrey still just needs to die.  All I want to do is smack his little spoiled face around.  LOL![/spoiler]

Praxis

Good question and answer.
Moral grayness is one of the coolest aspects of soiaf.

Ages: Even from the first season it seemed like they started with many of the characters a bit aged-up, I assume for practical reasons. Including the entire Stark family.
Yeah it is very striking how much older Arya and Bran are looking lately!

Bromptonboy

Good episode - but some deviation from the books.

[spoiler]That bit about Melisandre taking Renly away was not in the books.  There was another character - Edric - who was also an illegitimate son of King robert that she was after.  I wonder if the onion knight will save Renly like he saved Edric>
The most interesting thing about last night was Melisandre's encounter with Arya Stark.  [/spoiler]
Pete

X

Quote from: Bromptonboy on May 06, 2013, 10:03:10 AM

[spoiler]That bit about Melisandre taking Renly away was not in the books.  There was another character - Edric - who was also an illegitimate son of King robert that she was after.  I wonder if the onion knight will save Renly like he saved Edric>
The most interesting thing about last night was Melisandre's encounter with Arya Stark.  [/spoiler]

[spoiler] She didn't take Renly away, she took took Gendry away. He looks a lot like Renly, but Renly was killed by the red witch [/spoiler]

X

Quote from: Praxis on May 01, 2013, 09:49:02 PM

Ages: Even from the first season it seemed like they started with many of the characters a bit aged-up, I assume for practical reasons. Including the entire Stark family.
From what I recall, they aged everyone up based on Danni's need to be an adult for all of the stuff that happens to her. Everyone was aged to match and thus the age difference. Also, the length of time that Robert was King was also increased. I think that they added 3 years to each of the characters so that it would be more palatable for the viewers. Everyone outside of that seems to be aging as they are entering the story. So from the beginning, it's kind of a parallel world where things started off different.

Bromptonboy

Quote from: X on May 06, 2013, 01:36:20 PM
Quote from: Bromptonboy on May 06, 2013, 10:03:10 AM

[spoiler] She didn't take Renly away, she took took Gendry away. He looks a lot like Renly, but Renly was killed by the red witch [/spoiler]
You are right, I twisted the names by mistake.
Pete

ChrisMC

Quote from: X on May 06, 2013, 01:42:56 PM
Quote from: Praxis on May 01, 2013, 09:49:02 PM

From what I recall, they aged everyone up based on Danni's need to be an adult for all of the stuff that happens to her. Everyone was aged to match and thus the age difference. Also, the length of time that Robert was King was also increased. I think that they added 3 years to each of the characters so that it would be more palatable for the viewers. Everyone outside of that seems to be aging as they are entering the story. So from the beginning, it's kind of a parallel world where things started off different.
Yeah, in the books, a lot of awful and adult stuff happens to 14 and 15 year-olds. In the end, it won't matter much if Arya is 18 or 14 when things happen.

As a fan of the books, I love these glimpses into unseen stuff, like the Bastard of Bolton and Theon.
Check out our Classic BSG podcast! http://ragtagfugitivepodcast.com/

Praxis

Painfully waiting :taz :juggle for the wife to have enough free time to watch the latest episode together. Can't wait to click on these spoiler tags :) !!!

Bromptonboy

Just finished watching this weeks episode:
[spoiler]Some departures from the book.  Rob Stark's queen being pregnant - I fear this means she will be a guest at the upcoming red wedding...
Not sure what is going to happen to Gendry..I imagine that the Onion Knight will somehow rescue him as he rescued Edric Storm.
Only 3 episodes left - I would guess the Red Wedding and Joffrey's wedding will be the last episode of this season.
I almost felt sorry for Theon Greyjoy is this episode![/spoiler]
Pete

Praxis

Caught up with last week's episode (not the new one last night), loved it.
[spoiler]Wow, they are making Joffrey even DARKER... That was shocking. My wife and I had our mouths open. I love how the show still has the capacity to surprise fans of the books while still being true to the books.[/spoiler]
I'll have to wait a few days before clicking your spoiler tag bromptonboy :)