• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

The next podcast will be on Feb. 19th and will be a guest cast by Mark.

Main Menu

The Walking Dead

Started by Geekyfanboy, September 10, 2010, 10:23:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jobydrone

Quote from: Chris-El on March 20, 2013, 02:34:24 PM
Quote from: Rico on March 20, 2013, 02:28:52 PM
Only two episodes left for this season.  I thought the most recent episode focusing on Andrea was a bit weak after the big build up the week before.  But I think things will be ramping up now.
Yes, I was annoyed by the "filler" ness of it. Stuff happens which doesn't move the story along at all. Some good moments, but still. Annoying.
This was a big complaint about Herschel's farm as well.  It's not bothering me that much, I love the character stuff and none of what they're doing strikes me as unrealistic or padding.  I am anxious to get to the big climax as well, though.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

ChrisMC

Quote from: Jobydrone on March 20, 2013, 03:54:07 PM
Quote from: Chris-El on March 20, 2013, 02:34:24 PM
Quote from: Rico on March 20, 2013, 02:28:52 PM
Only two episodes left for this season.  I thought the most recent episode focusing on Andrea was a bit weak after the big build up the week before.  But I think things will be ramping up now.
Yes, I was annoyed by the "filler" ness of it. Stuff happens which doesn't move the story along at all. Some good moments, but still. Annoying.
This was a big complaint about Herschel's farm as well.  It's not bothering me that much, I love the character stuff and none of what they're doing strikes me as unrealistic or padding.  I am anxious to get to the big climax as well, though.
Yeah, but it really didn't add anything to the characters...the episode with Rick, Michonne and CArl encountering the guy from the first episode was an excellent example of how to do a character driven episode. This one : Governor-Crazy...check. Andrea-disturbed by him...check (if a bit late, Andrea is not our favorite character), Tyreese and his sis-good guys...check, the other guy in their group-stupid. These are things we all knew before. Anyway, it's nitpicking. The show is usuallu above average to great and this one was below. I guess it's jarring.
Check out our Classic BSG podcast! http://ragtagfugitivepodcast.com/

Jobydrone

I hear you...in any case I have a feeling, especially if the series draws some of the darker elements from the comics, next week should be quite an experience leading up to the finale.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Rico

I was pretty ok with the season finale except for a couple things.  Big spoilers ahead...

[spoiler]First, the governor.  He isn't dead yet?!?!  Why??  I'm really tired of this guy and it bugs me he is still around out there.  After all that he has done I wanted some justice.  I was sad for Andrea and Milton - they both deserved better.  Although they kind of messed up by sticking with that psycho governor for so long.  The ending was a little odd.  Why would Rick bring so many people back to the prison all of a sudden?  Up to this point they have been very careful about who they let join them.  It seemed out of character.  Carl is really going evil on us.  Makes sense to me after all he has been through.  Overall I enjoyed the episode.[/spoiler]

Bryancd

Quote from: Rico on April 02, 2013, 08:39:30 AM
I was pretty ok with the season finale except for a couple things.  Big spoilers ahead...

[spoiler]First, the governor.  He isn't dead yet?!?!  Why??  I'm really tired of this guy and it bugs me he is still around out there.  After all that he has done I wanted some justice.  I was sad for Andrea and Milton - they both deserved better.  Although they kind of messed up by sticking with that psycho governor for so long.  The ending was a little odd.  Why would Rick bring so many people back to the prison all of a sudden?  Up to this point they have been very careful about who they let join them.  It seemed out of character.  Carl is really going evil on us.  Makes sense to me after all he has been through.  Overall I enjoyed the episode.[/spoiler]

Yeah I agree, I would add...
[spoiler]I was happy to see Andrea go and I am also tired of the Gov and was hoping he would just get eaten already. I assume the point of Rick bringing back the remaining residents of Woodbury was the end of his catharsis over Lori.[/spoiler]

Jobydrone

I was lukewarm over the last two episodes.  This comes from being an avid lover of the comic series, and expecting so much more than what we ultimately saw.  Who knows, [spoiler]with the Governor still alive and Rick seeming to be settling into the prison for a while longer, I imagine they still might draw more from the comics, but we have diverged so far from the source material that I'm probably better off not even comparing the two mediums any longer.[/spoiler]

I'll still be watching come season 4, but this show is dropping down my list of favorites.  I still love the characters though, especially Rick, Herschel, and Michonne, and I'm still curious to see what happens going forward.

Praxis

Quote from: Bryancd on April 02, 2013, 08:58:23 AM
Quote from: Rico on April 02, 2013, 08:39:30 AM

Yeah I agree, I would add...
[spoiler]I was happy to see Andrea go and I am also tired of the Gov and was hoping he would just get eaten already. I assume the point of Rick bringing back the remaining residents of Woodbury was the end of his catharsis over Lori.[/spoiler]

I agree with both of you. I enjoyed the finale but:
[spoiler]It seemed a bit unrealistic that those two guys left the Governor alive after he goes postal. Really? They are either nuts or didn't care much for their peers. That's something that has been bugging me about Woodbury in general. The townfolk are so sheep-like...simple. [/spoiler]

I really like the show overall but I feel that what keeps it from being a GREAT show is the inconsistency. You'll have a couple of well crafted episodes then a real stinker. Up and down....

bevs_plaything

I thoroughly enjoyed the finale...roll on season 4!!  :)

Leighgion

Hey folks, new here.

The finish of season 3 has actually raised the show in my estimation. I was getting very dubious about whether my patience was going to hold out if the pattern of the story would always be that they'd find a place with some promise only to have it all fall apart and need to move on again by the end of the season. Worth noting, I am not a reader of the comics, so I have nothing to compare the show's rendition to.

[spoiler]As I see it, Rick welcoming the remains of the townsfolk into his fold makes perfect sense to his character arc. It's the confirmation that he's come out of his detour into the shadows, during which he cast out Tyrese's group and had decided to hand over Michonne to the Governor. THOSE were the things that were going against his character, but he did one and nearly did the other because he was cracking under the strain. Yes, and hallucinating too. Life in the zombie world might be Hell, but Rick still wants to be the most decent human being he can be under the circumstances. In the wake of the showdown with the Governor, the decent thing is to take in the remaining people from Woodbury (children and practically disabled adults), and so he does it. [/spoiler]

X

I think that's I'm done with this show. Not that it hasn't been entertaining, but there are other things that I'm enjoying more now and I think the hype of the show has cause the episodes to not live up to expectations for me. I think that it might actually be the timing of it now. I like it more when it was on less.

Rico

Meds

I'm only three episodes into series 3, I'm guessing if I watch the trailer i spoil the rest of this series.

Bryancd

Walking Dead is back with a good first epiosde, but not as good as this!

http://youtu.be/rNxvo8AcpQQ

ChrisMC

LOL, awesome.

Walking Dead is the most-watched show on TV now...it's nice that a scripted drama takes the spot, not some bullcrap reality nonsense.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/64658

This show keeps making me nervous for that baby. I swear, I'm done if anything happens to that baby. I SWEAR.
Check out our Classic BSG podcast! http://ragtagfugitivepodcast.com/

Rico

I really enjoyed the season opener a lot.  Things are as crazy and as unpredictable as ever.  It's also so far away from the comics now I can enjoy both versions of this story.