News:

Podcast # 893 is now up covering TV Themes

Main Menu

Poodyglitz Is Now Darmok

Started by Poodyglitz, April 26, 2007, 08:31:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poodyglitz

Rye and Jiri, Jiri of two moons:

As some seem to have reservations about the name "Poodyglitz" (curse that movie, "Pooty Tang"), I've now become "Darmok" (I would have been Dathan, but there's someone in the Bible by that name who was killed by God for rebellion -- not a positive association). Anyway, someone in the Forum had a quote from that great TNG episode and reminded me of it's (the episode's) significance.

Darmok and Jilad at Tenagra.

Geekyfanboy

Great name... when I had to choose an email name for the first time I choose Dathon1 (character's spelling on TNG, didn't know about Dathan). And I still use it today. That was one of my favorite episodes of TNG.  "Shaka, when the walls fell."

Poodyglitz

Heh, heh. Shaka, indeed.

Thanks for the correct spelling. I love just about any Star Trek episode about identifying and overcoming differences.

Darkmolerman

cool name Darmok I wish I could make cool names like that.
"He can't act out of a cardboard box"- Rick Moyer

"I know the answer now sometimes the doctor must look at this planet and look at it in shame" -Gwen Cooper

Geekyfanboy

Got this from Wikipedia

"Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra" (meaning struggling together against a common enemy)
"Shaka, when the walls fell." (failure, inablility to do something)
"Temba, his arms wide (or open)." (gift, to give, to communicate: talk to me - I'm listening!)
"Temba, at rest." (accepting, at peace)
"Mirab, his sails unfurled" (travel or departure)
"Khidir beneath Momouteh" (cluelessness, possibly unwillingness to understand)
"Sokath, his eyes uncovered" (understanding, revealing truth)
"Zinda, his face black, his eyes red" (to suffer, to be injured)
"The river Temarc, in winter" (Stop, cease, misunderstanding)
"Kiazi's children, their faces wet" (death, mourning)
"Kalimash at Baha" (storytelling OR Don't worry, calm down)
"Uzani, his army" (to battle), "with fists open" (to lure the enemy in) â€" "...with fists closed" (to attack)
"Picard and Dathon at El-Adrel" (a new metaphor added to the language at the end of the incident with a meaning similar to "Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra", likely intended to signify a new bond forged between the Tamarians and the Federation)
"Gilgamesh and Enkidu at Uruk" (Picard's metaphor about ancient Babylonian legends from Earth)
"Ri and Jiri at Lunga. Ri of Luwani, Luwani under two moons. Jiri, of Umbaya. Umbaya of crossed roads, at Lunga. Lunga, her sky grey" (greeting, recalling how the representatives of two peoples met together in council at a third location)
"Darmok on the ocean." (Alone, isolated, having lost his companion)
"Darmok and Jalad on the ocean. (To befriend, as in joined by a shared struggle)

Poodyglitz

Cool. It's been so long since I've seen this episode.

The seeming abstract nature and it's profound meaning are endearing. We can be so different from one another that the prospect of getting to know one another in a deep way can be daunting. It takes one brave soul to make the sacrifice of making a significant connection. Dathon gave his life in the service of both cultures. Even when his own people were against it, he put aside what others thought and followed his heart. In doing so, he not only bridged the gap between two cultures, but by seizing the moment, created a new metaphor â€" "Picard and Dathon at El-Adrel".

Then there's the casting of the great Paul Winfield. Not only him as an actor, but someone who in reality is of a different race from the star of the show. Kind of a side message to us. This episode works on so many levels. That's what's so cool about Star Trek.

iceman

Poodyglitz