• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Don't forget to drop a review on iTunes for the podcast sometime or send a donation in for the show.

Main Menu

Who is this guy Rob in Orlando?

Started by metron07, April 02, 2007, 07:45:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

metron07

Who is this guy Rob in Orlando?

My name is Rob Scalise and I live in Orlando Florida, that you know. I grew up in New York City in the last century.

I am 50 something and am an original Star Trek fan When I was a sophomore in high school in the1967 it was my science class homework to watch Star Trek and report back to the class because both my teacher and I loved the show. I was one of the fans who wrote into NBC to beg them not to cancel the show which resulted in the show staying on a little bit longer than it did.

I was at some of the first Creation conventions that occurred in NYC, usually in a hotel across from Madison Square Garden. I got my wife Tammy hooked on STNG in the early 1990’s and she went to a few of the conventions with me and met her favorite actor Brent Spiner. I remember asking in his audience appearance a  thoughtful ( I thought) question about why he made the Data character take such long pauses when he would have a speech in an episode. His answer was typical Brent, “Because I take long pauses” I cringed with embarrassment, but at that moment he gave me a break and admitted it was his attempt to be a machine trying to mimic human speech. I quickly sat down while the going was good.

I’m not really a big collector. I’m more of a present moment kind of fan. The moment you watch a favorite episode or movie, the moment you meet someone involved in the shows, The moment you speak to Brent in front of hundreds of people, the moment you shed a tear during a final episode, or when I learned of Gene’s death.

I spent many of those moments from the late 1960's â€" the present with a lot of Sci-Fi but none more than Star Trek, truly my and my wife’s favorite. The only present day show that gives me close that feeling is the new show Heros.

Other favorate shows, Hands Down! THE OUTER LIMITS 1963-1965, Space 1999, All the Jerry Anderson series, Star Wars when it first came out in the 70's, Dr.Who, The Alien Films, Bicentennial Man (Robin Williams-Great Soundtrack!!), All Three Lord of the Rings Films (what a sountrack!!!), Anything Rod Serling, Etc,etc

I’m a musician and movie soundtrack lover. CDs of those I do collect. I'm something of a digital home recording nut and am in the process of collaborating on a musical with a old friend of mine who I have been writing with for years. Don’t have much of a presence on the web (not enough time yet) but a simple page on Myspace. http://www.myspace.com/scholaire and only just got stated with YouTube http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=scalisemail04 .

Very much enjoy listening to Rico’s Podcast on my drive into work and have left my fist audio intro on PODCAST #113.

I Love the movie "Free Enterprise" because it speaks to me much more than "Trekkies"

If you have any questions drop me a line on the forms. Love to talk about Trek from a makeing of point of view which is why I love Podcast #112 so much.

:vulcan
Rob

Geekyfanboy

Welcome to the group.. sounds like you'll fit right in here.

SebastianProoth

Rob,

I haven't been here long but welcome! You have some interesting connections with Trek and I would love to hear more about them! There is nothing I like more than to discuss the making of television and movies :)

I am glad that you enjoyed show 112, it was fun to record with Rico and he's a great host. Glad you decided to join up. Looking forward reading your contibutions to the community here.

-Sebastian.

Rico

Ah, those early Trek conventions were the best.  I miss those days a lot.  The "Free Enterprise" movie is very cool too.

Kirk-Fu

Welcome Rob, I live in Orlando also, small world :-)

metron07

Yep, am I’m up in the Longwood-Altamonte area. Where abouts are you.?

I’m one of the few that did the now legendary Star Trek Adventure at Universal back in the early 90’s before there was a Star Trek Experience. Sure wish someone at Universal would do that again. They could to it with Trek and other movies I guess. Be cool to do something like Matrix, LOTR, Star Wars, etc. and I would think it cheap with computers doing green screen on home computers these days.

Anyway, please ta meetcha!
:vulcan

Zortic

Wow, lots of Orlando representation.  I'm from there too!  Were you at Megacon?
Join the adventure.  Read  Zortic

metron07

Can you tell me more about Megacon, sounds like something I would like to check out. Where was it and when does it occur?

Zortic

You should check out their website.  I appear there every year and it's a lot of fun.  And what's better than an excuse to go to Florida in Febuary.  I also run the Web Cartoonists' Choice Awards ceremony.

metron07

Very interesting. Must attend next year. Is there anything else in the near future you know about that you think I may be interested in attending? Rob

Zortic

There's also an Orlando Comic Con, but it's still pretty new, so I don't know much about it.  However I do also appear at the FX Convention.  It's a toy convention that's lot of fun.  I also know that Vulkon has occasional conventions here in Orlando.

Also, incase anyone's interested, I'm also going to be appearing at San Diego's Comic Con this year.

Bryancd

Quote from: Rico on April 03, 2007, 05:02:23 AM
Ah, those early Trek conventions were the best.  I miss those days a lot. 

Ahh, The Creation Conventions at the Roosevelt Hotel across the street from Grand Central Station during the early '80's :) Memories....

iceman