• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Don't forget to drop a review on iTunes for the podcast sometime or send a donation in for the show.

Main Menu

TNG returns to syndication

Started by Geekyfanboy, January 26, 2009, 12:50:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geekyfanboy

'Star Trek: TNG' Returns to Syndication
By Andrew Krukowski

"Star Trek: The Next Generation" returns to broadcast syndication after eight years, CBS Television Distribution announced today. "Star Trek" is cleared as a daily Monday-Friday show in 83% of the country, including 29 of the top 30 markets, CBS said. Tribune, Sinclair, CBS and LIN stations are among those carrying the show.

"'Star Trek: The Next Generation' was a groundbreaking show when it first premiered in syndication and was the highest-rated series in the 'Star Trek' franchise," Joe DiSalvo, president of sales for CBS Television Distribution said in a statement. "It also has an extremely successful track record in cable so stations are excited to add this proven brand to their lineups." "Star Trek" stands to receive additional media attention as a J.J. Abrams reboot of the franchise arrives in theaters in May.

Rico

Geekyfanboy

This is differrent Rico.. not the same.. your thread is about WGN airing TNG.. this is about CBS owned stations playing it every day of the week.

Syndication is not cable... just an fyi

Rico

Yes I know what syndication is Kenny.  I was just letting folks know where they can see TNG and other Trek too.  Oh, and by the way you will find that CBS and WGN have tight partnerships in many markets.  If fact, CBS owns many of them.

Geekyfanboy

Quote from: Rico on January 26, 2009, 02:19:54 PM
Yes I know what syndication is Kenny.  I was just letting folks know where they can see TNG and other Trek too.  Oh, and by the way you will find that CBS and WGN have tight partnerships in many markets.  If fact, CBS owns many of them.

No disrespect intended Rico. I was just stating that the thread you linked too was different then this thread. TNG is going to air on WGN which is awesome and it's going to air in Syndication, which is awesome.. can never have to much TNG.

moyer777

that is for sure.  I wonder if cbs will have it on dish?

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com

Geekyfanboy

Quote from: moyer777 on January 26, 2009, 03:14:10 PM
that is for sure.  I wonder if cbs will have it on dish?

I don't know.. waiting to hear more details..

I know in Los Angeles CBS owns Channel 2 which is our CBS station and channel 9 which is a local channel. I assume they will air on 9 and not on the main CBS channel. But I'll post more when I find out.

Bryancd

Kenny, when are they starting this? I want to record them.

Geekyfanboy

Quote from: Bryancd on January 26, 2009, 04:05:29 PM
Kenny, when are they starting this? I want to record them.

Don't know yet.. this was just announced.. I'll post more when I hear.

Bryancd

Please, I think I might be able to get these in High Def. I know have Direct TV.

Dan M

Dangelus

Boy, American TV channels sound really confusing to me!  :confused

Dan M

It can be.  I have friends who thought for years that TNG was on the Fox network, just because it aired on a Fox station in their market.

Geekyfanboy

TNG Headed Back To Broadcast Syndication  January 27, 2009
by Anthony Pascale , Filed under: TNG , trackback

Star Trek The Next Generation is heading back to where it all began. Today CBS announced they have sold reruns of Next Generation for broadcast syndication in most of the country for the Fall 2009 season. Although TNG is currently in reruns on cable, it has not been available for broadcast syndication in eight years.

TNG back on regular TV
Starting in the Fall of 1987, Star Trek The Next Generation became a pioneer by becoming a hit hour-long drama broadcast in syndication instead of on a regular broadcast network. The premiere "Encounter at Farpoint" pulled in an historic 27 million viewers on September 28th, 1987. TNG went on to win 18 Emmys and was the first ever syndicated series to be nominated for Outstanding Drama Series.

Now in 2009 TNG returns to its old stomping ground. In a statement, President of Sales for CBS Television Distribution said:

Star Trek The Next Generation was a groundbreaking show when it first premiered in syndication and was the highest-rated series in the STAR TREK franchise. It also has an extremely successful track record in cable so stations are excited to add this proven brand to their lineups.

Unlike the remastered Star Trek The Original Series, which airs weekly in syndication currently, TNG is in 'strip syndication,' meaning there will be five episodes per week. CBS has not released a list of stations beyond saying TNG is currently cleared in 83% of the country, including 29 of the top 30 markets and that Tribune, Sinclair, CBS and LIN stations are among those signing up. A spokesperson for CBS also confirmed that this package is the original show in standard definition, and not a new 'remastered' version of the show.

The broadcast syndication run of Star Trek The Next Generation stars in the Fall of 2009.

http://trekmovie.com/2009/01/27/tng-headed-back-to-broadcast-syndication/

Dangelus

I'm sure we will eventually see TNG being remastered.

I am a patient man!