• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Podcast # 893 is now up covering TV Themes

Main Menu

Podcast # 309 - Vampires

Started by Rico, December 12, 2010, 12:22:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rico

New podcast is up covering vampires in many TV shows, movies and books.  A good selection of listener comments too.  Enjoy the show!

http://www.treksinscifi.com/podcasts/TreksinSciFi_309_Vampires.mp3

davekill

I didn't think I went for the whole Vampire trend till this podcast reminded me how much I liked
the 1989-96  cop show Forever Knight.

"800-year-old vampire Nick Knight quests for redemption as a cop in Toronto, trying to hide his vampiric nature from the rest of the world."
Of course he worked the night shift

Also the Wraith from Stargate Atlantis - awesome.

Rico

I never saw much of "Forever Knight."  Did it really run for 7 years?  The Wraith were cool too.  There are a lot of "vampire-like" creatures in Sci-Fi too.

Geekyfanboy

Oh forgot about that one.. use to watch that as well.. No it only ran 3 seasons.. but the pilot aired in 89 but the series didn't start until 92

davekill

Quote from: Rico on December 13, 2010, 05:57:01 AM
I never saw much of "Forever Knight."  Did it really run for 7 years?  The Wraith were cool too.  There are a lot of "vampire-like" creatures in Sci-Fi too.

Kenny's correct,
the Forever Night pilot was a made for TV movie on CBS that aired in 1989.
It was a little different than the series.
Shot locally instead of Toronto, and Nick Knight was played by Rick Springfield.

You mentioned the idea for a  plot reversal so the women mesmerize their unwitting subjects to the point of total control.

Besides being careful what you wish for, watch the season four episode of Enterprise called "Bound".
The crew never stood a chance :)

RickPeete

I also enjoyed the show Forever Knight.  It was another vampire trying to do right by humanity.

There also was a 1992 vampire movie that had a female vampire that fell in love with a human male.  It was called Innocent Blood and starred Anne Parillaud and Anthony LaPaglia (Seven Days).

Bryancd

I enjoyed the Anne Rice Vampire books back in the early 90's and thought the film "Interview with the Vampire" was pretty good, interesting at the least. Although I never read Bram Stocker, I liked "Dracula" the movie although it's a little self indulgent. "Fright Night" was also a fave back in the '80's. Never watched Buffy, though.

Rico

You guys should have sent in some audio for the show.  :)
Yeah, I liked "Fright Night" a lot too.

Bryancd

The above represents the totality of my thoughts on Vampires. :)

Rico

Quote from: Bryancd on December 14, 2010, 05:37:26 AM

But, what if they were vampires using iPhones?  The show "Moonlight" did that.  ;)

Bryancd

Quote from: Rico on December 14, 2010, 05:51:50 AM
Quote from: Bryancd on December 14, 2010, 05:37:26 AM

But, what if they were vampires using iPhones?  The show "Moonlight" did that.  ;)

Im in. :)

Bryancd

Aww crap! I just remembered my all time favorite vampitre movie! "Lost Boys'! I love that movie, should have sent comments!   :mad2:

Vartok

Must be the season for Vampires, in Walmart today and they had a DVD rack of just vampire movies out on the floor.  Rico gets the trends just right!
V

ps. Fangs a lot for not complaining here about my vampire accent.

Geekyfanboy

Fun podcast Rico.. it was a lot of material and I think you could have done a podcast on each topic alone but you did a good job touching on each. Thanks for playing both my audio clips.

X

Great podcast Rico! I'm glad you remembered underworld with the female vampire being the hero to the human turned werewolf male. When you mentioned the vamp female hero, I instantly thought of Starr and Michael in Lost Boys, Innocent Blood, and Blood: The Last Vampire. There are a few more that were done, but I can't recall them off the top of my head.

I really loved this cast though!