News:

Podcast # 893 is now up covering TV Themes

Main Menu

"STAR TREK Into Darkness" - 2013

Started by Rico, June 17, 2009, 04:46:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dangelus

Well...

[spoiler]Although i would havebprefered a different story I don't have a problem with the Eugenics storyline, it's a big part of Trek Earth history. I just don't see Cumberpatch as Khan. Del Torro yes, he has the ethnic "look" but a white British posh guy? Perhaps they are going to make this Khan come from another part of the world?

Perhaps they should have made him a different Augment entirely? [/spoiler]

We shall see! :)

ChrisMC

A rumor floating around is...[spoiler]That another antagonist this time around will be the Klingons, and that Khan is somehow helping Starfleet with that problem, hence him wearing SF duds in the pics we have seen. Some kind of SpecOps or something. That could be interesting. I'm not jazzed about Khan, don't really see Cumberbatch as Khan, but I'm looking forward to see how differently he is utilized.

http://www.thehollywoodnews.com/2012/05/01/cumberbatch-star-trek-role-confirmed/ Hollywood Reporter is doing a story now, looking more and more real.[/spoiler]
Check out our Classic BSG podcast! http://ragtagfugitivepodcast.com/

bevs_plaything

wraith1701

Sounds like it's going to be a pretty kick-butt film.

[spoiler] Having Spock-prime play a role is interesting.  I wonder what his reaction would be if he happened to encounter the guy who kills him in an alternate future? [/spoiler]  :wacko

bevs_plaything

The news does fill me with dread!  If this news is correct I am convinced that to be a Star Trek producer you [spoiler]only need one orginal thought in your mind!  What's next will Star Trek 4 will involve whales?!!!  Benedict Cumberbatch is a good actor, but to play an ethic character??!!!  Rant over, getting up for work now!! :([/spoiler]

billybob476

Quote from: wraith1701 on May 01, 2012, 05:27:50 PM
Sounds like it's going to be a pretty kick-butt film.

[spoiler] Having Spock-prime play a role is interesting.  I wonder what his reaction would be if he happened to encounter the guy who kills him in an alternate future? [/spoiler]  :wacko

Hadn't thought of that, very interesting....

X

Quote from: bevs_plaything on May 01, 2012, 10:31:24 PM
The news does fill me with dread!  If this news is correct I am convinced that to be a Star Trek producer you [spoiler]only need one orginal thought in your mind!  What's next will Star Trek 4 will involve whales?!!!  Benedict Cumberbatch is a good actor, but to play an ethic character??!!!  Rant over, getting up for work now!! :([/spoiler]
I think that...

[spoiler] It's absolutely fine. Khan was never an ethnic character, but a product of science and the best genes they could find. If he was ethnic, was he Indian or Latin? I think in the case of the show, they went with the best actor for the role and not the heritage of said actor. I have no problems with another person playing Khan because that could just be a slight shift in the genetic cocktail used to create him. [/spoiler]

KingIsaacLinksr

*sigh*
[spoiler]
If its Khan, then I have no hope in there ever being a TV series. C'mon people. We can do something original in two years. Rehashing old plots just isn't one of them.  faith is slightly shattered now...[/spoiler]

King
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

Jobydrone

So silly, people.  We know every single person on this thread is going to see this movie...they could put hamsters in Trek uniforms and I think most of us would still pay twelve bucks to see it.  Let's give JJ the benefit of the doubt and keep an open mind here.  The first movie was awesome and I have seen nothing that would lead me to believe the next is going to be any less awesome.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Dangelus

Quote from: Jobydrone on May 02, 2012, 09:19:24 AM
So silly, people.  We know every single person on this thread is going to see this movie...they could put hamsters in Trek uniforms and I think most of us would still pay twelve bucks to see it.  Let's give JJ the benefit of the doubt and keep an open mind here.  The first movie was awesome and I have seen nothing that would lead me to believe the next is going to be any less awesome.

I will be giving him the benefit of the doubt.

For the record I had I lot of problems with the first movie, it didn't go in directions i would have wanted but I found it to be enjoyable. I also don't have a problem in criticising aspects of properties I am a fan of. It's healthy. :)

billybob476

Asking geeks not to criticize something is like asking fish not to swim :) We live for picking things apart, I'm all for it as long as it's well thought out and not just people raging.

Dangelus

Quote from: billybob476 on May 02, 2012, 11:31:13 AM
Asking geeks not to criticize something is like asking fish not to swim :) We live for picking things apart, I'm all for it as long as it's well thought out and not just people raging.

Come on Joe, there are two types of Geek. The ones you mention here and then there are the ones who would never dream of saying a bad word about things in their fandom.

You do read the forums right? ;)

Jobydrone

For me, I would have preferred another TNG movie rather than the one we got last time but I still really, really liked it.  Maybe I'm in the minority but...[spoiler]I think a new take on Space Seed or whatever direction they take with a new Khan has the potential to be really awesome.  I'm against calling it a rehash or unoriginal without seeing it first or having any information to base it on.[/spoiler]
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Dangelus

My view is

[spoiler]they would need to address Khan as he is integral to Trek history. I have no problem with a new take on "Space Seed", as I said it needs to happen really.

I am a little puzzled on the choice of actor. It appears they couldn't get Del Torro and because of the delays they just had to recast and keep the same story. I speculated on this when we heard Del Torro was out and Cumberpatch was in and people said he had to be another character for good reason. He doesn't fit what we know of Khan.

Obviously we don't know for sure this is the way it went down but it sure seems that way.

I am a fan of Abrahms work, he is a great storyteller and I have faith we are going to see a great movie. For sure his take on Khan is going to be interesting![/spoiler]

ChrisMC

I have a feeling when we all see the first trailer all doubt will evaporate and geekgasms will ensue!
Check out our Classic BSG podcast! http://ragtagfugitivepodcast.com/