• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Make sure to join the Treks in Sci-Fi group on Facebook.

Main Menu

"Defiance" - tv series/game

Started by Rico, April 14, 2013, 07:31:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bromptonboy

Quote from: X on May 22, 2013, 11:35:14 AM
Quote from: Bromptonboy on May 22, 2013, 11:29:44 AM
Looks like they added a character similar to 'Head Baltar' and 'Head - Caprica 6'...
To be fair, BSG wasn't the first to use that concept. The invisible companion was seen far earlier in Farscape and if Rockne is copying anyone, it's himself.
Thanks - didn't know that - I never watched Farscape (he says in shame)...
Pete

ElfManDan

Looks like they added a character similar to 'Head Baltar' and 'Head - Caprica 6'...
To be fair, BSG wasn't the first to use that concept. The invisible companion was seen far earlier in Farscape and if Rockne is copying anyone, it's himself.

In comparison though I don't ever see those two characters in Defiance being as awesome and enjoyable to watch as Crichton and Harvey. Harvey brought so much to Farscape and to Crichton and Scorpius as characters.

Bryancd

Quote from: Bromptonboy on May 22, 2013, 03:04:23 PM
Thanks - didn't know that - I never watched Farscape (he says in shame)...

I startred to but lost interest.

Rico

"Farscape" is in my top ten of Sci-Fi TV series.

X

Quote from: ElfManDan on May 23, 2013, 10:13:46 AM

In comparison though I don't ever see those two characters in Defiance being as awesome and enjoyable to watch as Crichton and Harvey. Harvey brought so much to Farscape and to Crichton and Scorpius as characters.
Harvey was awesome... and named after Harvey, the giant invisible rabbit that probably was one of the first invisible friends of some note.

Bryancd

Quote from: Rico on May 23, 2013, 02:21:08 PM

My comment was not a reflection on the show, more my interest at the time. :)

Rico

Quote from: Bryancd on May 23, 2013, 05:07:28 PM

I know how that can be.  Farscape does take a little time to get into it, but once you are in, it will be a wonderful ride.

X

Tell your wife it's an epic love story with a very strong female cast. She might make sure you find the time. Oh and there are lots of homages to Trek.

ElfManDan

Quote from: X on May 23, 2013, 06:07:16 PM

Tell your wife it's an epic love story with a very strong female cast. She might make sure you find the time. Oh and there are lots of homages to Trek.

There's a lot of homage to just about everything geeky.

I say with Farscape make it to the end of Season 1 and you will be hooked. The last few episodes of season 1 is really when it gets good, and it only gets better into season 2 and beyond.

Jobydrone

Is Farscape available somewhere in it's entirety?  Netflix?  I've never seen it.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Bryancd

Quote from: Jobydrone on May 24, 2013, 08:32:51 AM
Is Farscape available somewhere in it's entirety?  Netflix?  I've never seen it.

Netflix.

Jobydrone

Not streaming up on Netflix, I don't do their DVDs anymore. Hm, well ill keep an eye out due to thehigh praise...sorry for the hijack
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

X

It's on Amazon prime and Hulu plus

Bromptonboy

Quote from: X on May 24, 2013, 03:20:13 PM
It's on Amazon prime and Hulu plus
Maybe I'll check it out on Amazon.  Thanks
Pete

Feathers

I'm still hanging on with Defiance. As the other guys said, it's not 'amazing' but it's not put me off either. I'll certainly give it the first series to see where it goes and the possibility that O'Bannon pulls off another Farscape with this is not completely impossible. We'll see what happens.

(For some reason, it's skipping a week over here. Is that due to US scheduling?)

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.