• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Don't forget to drop a review on iTunes for the podcast sometime or send a donation in for the show.

Main Menu

"Defiance" - tv series/game

Started by Rico, April 14, 2013, 07:31:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Feathers

Yes! I completely forgot about the re-election thing but that had me almost incredulous with the length of term these people serve!

I guess it may have simply been a 'bait the politician' type comment that everyone was making but, if it was, they went nowhere near far enough to telegraph that to the viewer. I also found it odd that the spirit rider would even have known that (or be bothered enough to comment on it) but I guess he could have picked it up in town.

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

ElfManDan

Totally agree with both you guys. Does it seem to you two like there is a lot more going on behind the scenes that we are not seeing on screen? It's like a lot more time has passed in their world and developments like the spirit riders being involved with the town, but it's like we're not seeing these developments having happened.

And on the topic of time passing in some arcs it's like months have passed, and in some it's like days. I think they are missing opportunities not building up the characters and their place in the universe, I would like to see more cultural confrontations and prejudices as that seems like what the show should be about (I mean come on we have a bunch of humans and alien races in one place, seems obvious to me).

I felt like this one just jumped in and expected us to be up with what's going on with everything. I would agree this episode missed the mark, but I'll keep watching. I still think the show has potential.

moyer777

Yeah, this last episode had me wondering if I was going to continue or not... ugh.

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com

Bryancd

I think the show has a problem with writting, direction, and has no idea yet what it wants to be. It's a hot mess, exceedingly derivative, but it doesn't shy away from being so. It's a riot!

Bromptonboy

I am still working my way through the 2nd episode.  The fact that the albino alien wife is not hard to look at has kept my attention so far..  ;)
Pete

Feathers

Quote from: Bromptonboy on May 01, 2013, 11:19:59 AM
I am still working my way through the 2nd episode.  The fact that the albino alien wife is not hard to look at has kept my attention so far..  ;)

You may know her as H. G. Wells from Warehouse 13 :)

Feathers

Quote from: ElfManDan on May 01, 2013, 10:35:44 AM
Totally agree with both you guys. Does it seem to you two like there is a lot more going on behind the scenes that we are not seeing on screen? It's like a lot more time has passed in their world and developments like the spirit riders being involved with the town, but it's like we're not seeing these developments having happened.

And on the topic of time passing in some arcs it's like months have passed, and in some it's like days. I think they are missing opportunities not building up the characters and their place in the universe, I would like to see more cultural confrontations and prejudices as that seems like what the show should be about (I mean come on we have a bunch of humans and alien races in one place, seems obvious to me).

I felt like this one just jumped in and expected us to be up with what's going on with everything. I would agree this episode missed the mark, but I'll keep watching. I still think the show has potential.

There may be lots going on behind the scenes but there's also a lot that's gone on in the past few years and most of it hasn't even been alluded to yet. Partly I'd simply like to know how we got to where we are but more than that, I think we need to know quite a bit more in order to understand what we're looking at.

WillEagle

Quote from: Feathers on May 01, 2013, 02:31:34 PM
Quote from: Bromptonboy on May 01, 2013, 11:19:59 AM

You may know her as H. G. Wells from Warehouse 13 :)
I knew I had seen her somewhere, I just couldn't remember where. I still need to watch ep. 3.

Bromptonboy

Quote from: moyer777 on May 01, 2013, 10:38:39 AM
Yeah, this last episode had me wondering if I was going to continue or not... ugh.
Yes I just saw what you mean (finished this episode last night).  Certainly not family entertainment.  They are trying to be Game Of Thrones it seems..
Pete

charlie epsilon

Thinking about trying the game on PC?

Go here: http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/pc/games/mmos/defiance/

It's 30% off.

Use this code at checkout: GMG30-BH67J-TILO5 and get another 30% off.

I am kicking myself for buying it full price last week.  :ohwell

Rico

Starting to really enjoy the series.  About a month of episodes in now and it's been pretty good.  Definitely on my TIVO season pass list.

ElfManDan

Don't know, this last episode felt really weak to me, but I'm still watching Revolution and Defiance is definitely better than that show. I'm starting to lose hope in it though after this last episode, but I'll keep watching. There's just not a lot of quality TV currently on, and me without TV, but just Hulu I'm limited to very few shows these days. I got to take what I can get.

Rico

I liked the last episode because it gave us some info on the mayor and her sister's background. 

Second season is a go!

http://www.blastr.com/2013-5-10/syfy-announces-were-going-back-defiance-second-season

charlie epsilon

Quote from: Rico on May 10, 2013, 12:31:23 PMSecond season is a go!

This is awesome news. It's no Firefly, but it's still a pretty good show. Hopefully they will be able to improve the writing now that they know a second season is in the bag, and that they'll have more time to flesh out the characters.

Geekyfanboy

Woo hooo on the second season..