• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Make sure to join the Treks in Sci-Fi group on Facebook.

Main Menu

"True Blood" - HBO vamps

Started by Rico, December 01, 2008, 12:07:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rico

Rico

Season 5 starts tomorrow night!!!

The Buzz: True Blood Season 5 Premiere

ChrisMC

While I generally enjoy the show on some level...does anyone else think the show has jumped the shark? I like it, but name me someone on this show with no "powers". I like the idea of vampires merging into society, that's compelling. But you need a "normie" to be the counterbalance, and that's not Sookie.

Doesn't matter, I have been watching and probably will continue. Just a thought.
Check out our Classic BSG podcast! http://ragtagfugitivepodcast.com/

Bromptonboy

I am only half-way through the first season, and finding that I like this show.  I didn't think I would.
Pete

Rico

Quote from: Bromptonboy on June 21, 2012, 03:16:57 PM
I am only half-way through the first season, and finding that I like this show.  I didn't think I would.

Welcome to the vamp fun!  It's really a great series!  You have lots of cool stuff to look forward to seeing.

Jobydrone

Quote from: Chris-El on June 21, 2012, 03:06:27 PM
While I generally enjoy the show on some level...does anyone else think the show has jumped the shark? I like it, but name me someone on this show with no "powers". I like the idea of vampires merging into society, that's compelling. But you need a "normie" to be the counterbalance, and that's not Sookie.

Doesn't matter, I have been watching and probably will continue. Just a thought.
My problem with this show, although I do continue to watch, is that there are too many characters that I just cannot stand and wish would be killed.  Series regulars Lafayette, Jason, Arlene, and ESPECIALLY Tara make me cringe when they're on screen and I just can't stand their stories.  This is one of my wife's favorite shows though, so I am kind of stuck because we need stuff to watch together.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Bromptonboy

Hah-ha! That was like me and my wife with Sex in the City.  She loved the show, and I would watch with her - since there was enough eye-candy to keep me from hating it...    ;)

I am only in the first season (show 7), and I like all the characters.  Some are a bit over the top, that is true.  Maybe as you say, they jump the shark in later seasons. 
Pete

Rico

Joby is correct about the numbers of characters, but I happen to enjoy most of them.  But Pete, if you can handle all the characters in Game of Thrones then this series will be a piece of cake for you!  :)

Jobydrone

I didn't mean there were too many characters, I meant there were too many that I wish would die
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Rico

Quote from: Jobydrone on June 22, 2012, 08:47:32 AM
I didn't mean there were too many characters, I meant there were too many that I wish would die

Ah, I see the distinction.  But Jason?  He's so dumb & lovable!  :)

Jobydrone

With Jason it's that every season his stories are so far removed from whatever else is going on in the series (and usually so ridiculous and uninteresting) that I just want them to stop and get back to what I'm really interested in.  He also reminds me of a kid in high school that was a REAL douche, so nothing I can do about that.  Finally, I'll admit I'm totally jealous that every episode he gets to make out with Deborah Ann Woll...hoo boy she's amazing.

ChrisMC

Quote from: Jobydrone on June 22, 2012, 06:22:39 AM
Quote from: Chris-El on June 21, 2012, 03:06:27 PM

My problem with this show, although I do continue to watch, is that there are too many characters that I just cannot stand and wish would be killed.  Series regulars Lafayette, Jason, Arlene, and ESPECIALLY Tara make me cringe when they're on screen and I just can't stand their stories.  This is one of my wife's favorite shows though, so I am kind of stuck because we need stuff to watch together.
Yeah, my wife as well. The character I have hated from day 1 is Tara. I was hoping she would croak....but no. Jason I like. The whole Arlene and Terry subplot I could care less about. I want more vampires doing cool stuff! Enough of this other stuff.

And Jessica...yeah, she's pretty much what I look forward to.
Check out our Classic BSG podcast! http://ragtagfugitivepodcast.com/

Rico

Season has been pretty fun so far.  Oh, there is a new ongoing comic book series out now.  Two issues are out.  Here's the cover to issue one.  I bought it digitally for my iPad for only $1.99.  Good read.

Rico

Rico

Season five is really starting to get good.  Lots going on - maybe too much in a way.  Most recent episode was very enjoyable.  Anyone else keeping up on this series?