• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Make sure to join the Treks in Sci-Fi group on Facebook.

Main Menu

"STAR TREK Into Darkness" - 2013

Started by Rico, June 17, 2009, 04:46:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billybob476

Just all the kerfuffle over the villain's name, what was the difference at the end of the day?

Bryancd

Quote from: billybob476 on May 10, 2013, 06:09:39 AM
Just all the kerfuffle over the villain's name, what was the difference at the end of the day?

Indeed, that's my point, it doesn't seem to even matter or impact the film's strengths based on what people are saying, pretty much universally. Which is a very good thing.

X

I think at the end of the day, it really doesn't matter one way or another. I honestly think that the lay person going to this movie doesn't care at all that there was secrecy involved. In their eyes, there wasn't any secrecy. They saw cool trailers and an idea of the plot. That's nothing more or nothing less than any other movie that's out there. I think people that were "in the know" were looking for information and didn't like the run around, but that's probably a very small percentage of the people that will see the movie.

If you think about it, we haven't had that much secrecy when compared to any other movie in the last few years.

Also, isn't misdirection in trailers a staple of Star Trek films? Off the top of my head, I remember the images of Kirk getting basted by a phaser and vaporizing in undiscovered country trailers and that was serious misdirection.

Bryancd

I have no problem with the trailers, it was the qoutes and public comments of the cast and crew, either by design or accident, which made it so messy.

ChrisMC

Quote from: X on May 10, 2013, 07:57:11 AM

Also, isn't misdirection in trailers a staple of Star Trek films? Off the top of my head, I remember the images of Kirk getting basted by a phaser and vaporizing in undiscovered country trailers and that was serious misdirection.
Holy crap, I remember seeing that trailer when I was in high school and freaking out! I think you're right that what drives people to the theater is cool looking trailers. I know people who weren't excited about a Superman movie that saw the latest trailer and got pretty pumped. They don't care who the villain is on the latest Star Trek movie, it just has to look like fun.
Check out our Classic BSG podcast! http://ragtagfugitivepodcast.com/

Jobydrone

Quote from: X on May 10, 2013, 07:57:11 AM

Ha ha, what a great point!  I remember this as well, but I also remember thinking it was pretty cheap at the time.  I don't think it's ever a good idea to make a fan feel like you are purposely lying to them just to get a few extra bodies in the seats. 
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

robbo1510

Quote from: Meds on May 09, 2013, 03:36:51 PM
NO SPOILERS HERE

IN FACT IM NOT EVEN DOING A REVIEW IN A SPOILER TAG

ALL I WILL SAY IS I BLOODY WELL LOVED EVERY MINUTE OF IT

IF YOU ARE EXCITED NOW, TRUST ME YOU'll WET YOUR PANTS WHEN YOU GET IN THE CINEMA.

:D

Saw it last night in 3D and really enjoyed it. A group of 4 of us to see it. Three Trek fans & one who has seen very little Trek. Everyone loved it :) Bring on the 3rd instalment !

Meds

After a few days of reflection I still stand by my reaction post but have come to the conclusion some scenes were incredibly lazy in writing. You'll see why.

Rico

Meds and others that have seen the film, don't forget to send me a short video review of the film for next week's podcast.  Use the FTP upload site or other means to get me the file.  Thanks!

Bryancd

Quote from: Rico on May 12, 2013, 05:33:34 AM
Meds and others that have seen the film, don't forget to send me a short video review of the film for next week's podcast.  Use the FTP upload site or other means to get me the file.  Thanks!

Do our video reviews have to be spoiler free?

Rico

Quote from: Bryancd on May 12, 2013, 05:46:30 AM
Quote from: Rico on May 12, 2013, 05:33:34 AM

Do our video reviews have to be spoiler free?

Nope.  Spoil away.  This podcast will be released late next weekend and will contain a BIG spoiler warning and tag at the start of the show.  Just like we did back in 2009 after the last movie came out.  This is the show to finally talk freely about the movie.

Bryancd

Meds

Coolio will record a video on my iPad thingy and send it you tomorrow (obviously don't watch it Rico till you've seen the film lol

billybob476

OMG how are you going to get Coolio to record a video on your iPad?! :)

bevs_plaything

I only saw the movie this afternoon and enjoyed it!  A couple of points I wasn't too happy about, but they can wait until everyone has a chance to have seen it.   The 3D version was good!!  :)