Podcast # 893 is now up covering TV Themes

Main Menu

Star Trek XI - spoilers!

Started by spidey27, July 22, 2006, 05:15:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Picard_delta_5

Star Trek Will Rise Again

Rico

Very iconic image.  It's definitely looking like an early TOS setting for the movie.  Most likely with a young Kirk and Spock's first adventure together.  I like the early buzz this will generate as well.  Exciting news.  Hopefully JJ Abrams can pull this off.

A bit more info and images links here:   http://www.trektoday.com/news/230706_01.shtml

duken

I think matt damon will do a great job as captain kirk..

hes a good actor

Rico

Quote from: duken on July 25, 2006, 08:38:18 PM
I think matt damon will do a great job as captain kirk..

hes a good actor

Just a rumor about this so far.  I actually don't think he would take the part.

Riskygodfather

Aww, I just made a post to see if people would guess my avatar, o well. Very cool, that's why I'm using it, and I'm starting to adjust to how the movie will be as a prequel, rather than a sequel.
"Do a barrel roll" - Peppy, StarFox 64
"Coincidence... I think NOT!" - Bear, Polkadot Shorts
"If at first you don't succeed... you fail" -Portal preview

Admiral Anthony Out

Picard_delta_5

there's an old saying, "dont judge a book by its cover" this can work both ways u know.... just because the XI has an awesome poster doesn't mean that it will be a good movie.... i'm not gonna get my hopes up... i dont want to be disappointed....

Riskygodfather

I just really hope that, if they do a prequel, they don't make it a chick flick. That would just suck! They have to keep a Star Trek feel. Personaly, I would've rather had a new series, but hey, beggers can't be chosers.

Admiral Anthony Out

Picard_delta_5

chick flick? what are u talking about? WHY would that EVER happen? It's Star Trek....

Riskygodfather

Yes, but they are young, and at the academy (kind alike high school, or university). I'm just saying.

Admiral Anthony Out

Picard_delta_5

eh... i dont agree with u on this one... i dont think that that would ever happen...

there is a lot to worry about with idea, but i dont think "chick flick" is one of them...

Geekyfanboy

This article kinds of disturbs me... not liking where this is going, but I'm open minded.

Star Trek Update: J.J. Abrams Going Boldly Where No Trek Has Gone Before!

Written by Robert Sanchez 
Thursday, 17 August 2006
Since J.J. Abrams was announced to write and produce the next Star Trek film, fans have been speculating who we will see as the main characters.

Rampant rumors have Kirk and Spock returning to the franchise but what has had some Trek fans up in arms is that William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy will not return to reprise the roles that made Star Trek a household name.

Abrams and company have kept a tight lip and have even gone so far as making a pact between writers and producers not to talk about the new Trek until production starts.

What is known is that we will be seeing Kirk and Spock in their early Starfleet years. The new movie will chronologically take place before The Original Series.

There are quite a bit of problems with this specific storyline since it goes against established Trek mythos from the last 40 years but that’s a whole other story.

The interesting development as of late is that the rumors regarding who will play Kirk, they have made it all the way to, well, Kirk himself.

William Shatner, in two recent interviews, mentioned hearing rumors that Matt Damon has signed on to play the role of James T. Kirk in the upcoming film. This could simply be the same rumors that have made it on to the web and every other Trek fansite.

The interesting note about his recent interview with the Toronto Star is that he mentions he would be interested in coming back for the next film.

So is there any chance of that? “Absolutely not,” is what we have been told by an unnamed studio source. “This is not just another Trek movie but instead a total reboot, we will see things that are similar to what is known in the Trek Universe but we will not be held to every aspect of the last 40 years. We are going to introduce Star Trek to a whole new generation and many more generations to come. We have total faith that J.J. and company will take Trek to a whole new level. Trek has been going downhill for the last 10 years and if we expect it to be around 20 years from now we will have to take some bold steps that might be controversial at first but we are sure to bring new fans to the dying franchise."

So when asked about the existing fans of Trek and if they would like the direction the new Trek is headed towards I was quickly told that, “Trek fans were not able to keep the last show (Enterprise) on the air and we are looking on bringing over “Alias” and “Lost” fans and if the old Trekkies like the new movie great, if not too bad. We have to boldly go were no Star Trek has gone before.”

Rico

Paramount and JJ better be REAL careful.  If they think they can alienate the fan base and replace them with all new fans plus additional fans (they might be in for a surprise).  I'll try to keep an open mind until I see what they come up with.

Riskygodfather

Yeesh, I don't know what the hell to expect anymore!

Admiral Anthony Out

Fanboy

Sounds like some strange ideas there.  Hope they don't screw this up.
"I aim to misbehave."