• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Make sure to join the Treks in Sci-Fi group on Facebook.

Main Menu

What's everyone reading right now?

Started by Rico, May 30, 2008, 07:50:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jen

Islands in the Sky: Bold New Ideas for Colonizing Space by Stanley Schmidt and Robert Zubrin. And How to Write Science Fiction and Fantasy by Orson Scott Card.
Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

Theman

The Host: A Novel (Stephenie Meyer) so far it is good book. In Comic I just started in 52 series.

Darth Gaos

I am in a Star Wars mood lately.  I just finished Timothy Zahn's Specters of the Past/Visions of the Future duology (which takes place about 10 years after the Thrawn Trilogy).  NOw I am re-reading Dark Lord:  The Rise of Darth Vader which I actually like more now than the first time I read it.  I amy go back and re-read the Darth Bane novels next....who knows.
I think it was Socrates who spoke the immortal words:  I drank WHAT?

Jen

I liked path of destruction too. And I read Rise Of Darth Vader. Despite the critics view points on the novel, I liked it. Haven't read Specters of the Past or Visions of the future. I am also reading Karen Travvis's Republic Commando: True Colors. I really like her style of writing.

Quote from: Darth Gaos on June 26, 2008, 12:04:41 PM
I am in a Star Wars mood lately.  I just finished Timothy Zahn's Specters of the Past/Visions of the Future duology (which takes place about 10 years after the Thrawn Trilogy).  NOw I am re-reading Dark Lord:  The Rise of Darth Vader which I actually like more now than the first time I read it.  I amy go back and re-read the Darth Bane novels next....who knows.
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

wraith1701

Karen Travis is pretty cool; she really fleshes out the clones and makes them more than just faceless drones.  She has done a lot to build the background of the Mandalorian culture in Star Wars fiction-- her contributions to the Legacy Of The Force series are incredible!

I'm currently reading True Colors as well as the first installment in a new Trek Mirror Universe series called Glass Empires.  It seems as though this first book will chronicle part of the history of the Mirror Universe, starting with the events taking place immediately after the Enterprise story In A Mirror, Darkly.  After that, it skips ahead to the TOS era with a story focusing on Mirror Spock, then jumps to the TNG era with a Picard story. 

So far, the book is pretty cool!  It's great to read about all of the surviving Enterprise Mirror characters, and I'm enjoying the roles being played by the Mirror characters we didn't get to see, like Aeric Sung.  Shran also plays a pretty important part in the story.. all I'll say is that blue seems to be one of Hoshi's favorite colors... ;)

Jen

Nice so you're doing research for next RPG season's Mirror Universe story? :D
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

Blackride

I am reading: Bloodlines (Star Wars: Legacy of the Force, Book 2). I just started reading Star Wars books. I always stayed away from them honestly. I never really liked the ideas of the Expanded Universe but it's growing on me finally.

http://www.amazon.com/Bloodlines-Star-Wars-Legacy-Force/dp/0345477510/ref=pd_bbs_sr_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1214673222&sr=8-5
Ripley: Ash. Any suggestions from you or Mother?
Ash: No, we're still collating.
Ripley: [Laughing in disbelief] You're what? You're still collating? I find that hard to believe.

wraith1701

Quote from: Jen on June 28, 2008, 09:34:24 AM

:D LOL yeah; I guess so... 

I think I'll post an abbreviated history/timeline of the Mirror U. in OOC once I finish the book. 

Quote from: BlackrideI am reading: Bloodlines (Star Wars: Legacy of the Force, Book 2). I just started reading Star Wars books. I always stayed away from them honestly. I never really liked the ideas of the Expanded Universe but it's growing on me finally.
It really is a good series.  The only downside to it is that the impact of a lot of the plot turns isn't all that notable if you aren't up to speed on the EU.   

Bryancd

Quote from: Blackride on June 28, 2008, 10:15:03 AM
I am reading: Bloodlines (Star Wars: Legacy of the Force, Book 2). I just started reading Star Wars books. I always stayed away from them honestly. I never really liked the ideas of the Expanded Universe but it's growing on me finally.

http://www.amazon.com/Bloodlines-Star-Wars-Legacy-Force/dp/0345477510/ref=pd_bbs_sr_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1214673222&sr=8-5

I've read all the Legacy books and they are really good, I hope you enjoy them.

I am now reading "The Making of Indiana Jones".

Jen

Quote from: wraith1701 on June 28, 2008, 10:15:40 AM
Quote from: Jen on June 28, 2008, 09:34:24 AM

:D LOL yeah; I guess so... 

I think I'll post an abbreviated history/timeline of the Mirror U. in OOC once I finish the book. 

Great idea. :)
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

Chief

Just finished the Darth Bane duology. A great couple of novels set in the pre KOTOR timeline on the Star Wars Universe.

Tons of great dark side moments and good character development.

On the comicbook side I am enjoying the new Doctor Who series, some Spiderman and Hulk.

And a lot of manga. I am reading the whole Inuyasha series. Pretty entertaining and creative.

"The Needs Of The Many, Out Weigh The Needs Of The Few, Or The One..."
Mr. Spock

billybob476

I'm going through Matt Stover's novelization of Episode III. I liked the movie, this is probably at least 30 times better. By far the best movie novelization I have read. I goes into Anakin's mind, it makes you truly understand why he fell to the dark side.

I'm up to the point Palpatine asks Anakin to be his representative on the Jedi council.

jedijeff

I am just about finished Inferno in the Legacy of the Force series. This one is pretty good, and I am getting through it really fast. Probably read Fury after that, and then back to a Trek book in the Sword of Damocles

Bryancd

Now I am reading "Dune: Hunters of Dune".

billybob476

Quote from: Bryancd on July 23, 2008, 05:35:08 AM
Now I am reading "Dune: Hunters of Dune".

The original Dune is one of those books that I've started reading about 16 times but I can *never* get all the way through it.