• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

Taking Wing - Week two - Chapters 7-15 Discussion starts week of Jan 14th

Started by Duffster, January 11, 2008, 04:33:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ktrek

I don't know if you guys are aware but Pocket Books held a contest for a starship design for the Titan. It was won by Sean Tourangeau and  His design was selected and appears on the cover of one of the Titan Books called Sword of Damocles. Also, a model has been built according to his specs to be displayed in the Star Trek Tour shows. Here is what the model of the Titan looks like as posted on his blog:

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

billybob476

I like it except for the weapons and/or sensor pod thing on top. It looks like it's in the wrong place.

jedijeff

I guess since it is an exploration ship, the pod might serve a scientific need, and the reason for where it is placed. I agree it does look odd to me as well, but Titans mandate is more research, so this could be very normal for ships of this nature.

This book is moving along well for me. I like the fact that Donatra and Suran are hiding a fleet of Military ships in the wreckage of Shinzons ship from Nemesis.  I suspect something big is going to come into play with those near the end of the book.

I will admit all this Romulan treachery is tough for me to follow. Seems to be a lot of parties involved in trying to gain control of the Romulan Star Empire, and tough to keep track of all the players and their agendas. I am kind of surprised that Spock has not really come into play again in this book, they have mentioned he has gone missing, but still surprised he has fallen silent since he was involved in the first chapter.

Ktrek

Quote from: jedijeff on January 19, 2008, 07:44:58 AM
I am kind of surprised that Spock has not really come into play again in this book, they have mentioned he has gone missing, but still surprised he has fallen silent since he was involved in the first chapter.

That's probably by intention Jeff. I'm sure that the authors didn't want to focus on Spock too much taking away from the Titan crew. Otherwise it would be a Spock story instead.

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

Rico

Cool model! 

All I will say is the Titan is a series of books.  There is much more to come in this overall story.

wraith1701

Ditto what Kevin and Rico said.

The writers have introduced us to a lot of new supporting characters, and they probably want to give the readers a chance to get to know them.  Once the new characters are established, there's less chance of them being overshadowed by well known supporting characters like Spock and Tuvok.

jedijeff

Quote from: Ktrek on January 19, 2008, 08:08:06 AM
I am kind of surprised that Spock has not really come into play again in this book, they have mentioned he has gone missing, but still surprised he has fallen silent since he was involved in the first chapter.

That's probably by intention Jeff. I'm sure that the authors didn't want to focus on Spock too much taking away from the Titan crew. Otherwise it would be a Spock story instead.

Kevin

Yes, you are probably correct on that, I guess they dont want to overshadow the new Characters introduced and the importance of Rikers first starship command with Spock. I have found the the Romulan crisis has not really been in play much in the first 2/3rds of the book. Were we left off at Chapter 15, the Titan is just arriving at Romulus, so I appreciate that the writers are spending time on the new crew, but still weaving in the mission as well into the story.

billybob476

Honestly, my favourite part of this book is the interactions between the crew and getting to know them. I almost want to rush through other events to get to the next scene where the crew is just hanging out.

billybob476

I guess since it is an exploration ship, the pod might serve a scientific need, and the reason for where it is placed. I agree it does look odd to me as well, but Titans mandate is more research, so this could be very normal for ships of this nature.

I know what my issue is and it's completely aesthetic. The 'legs' supporting the pod are sweeping the in the opposite direction of the warp engine supports. It messes up the lines for me!

jedijeff

Quote from: billybob476 on January 19, 2008, 12:11:36 PM
Honestly, my favourite part of this book is the interactions between the crew and getting to know them. I almost want to rush through other events to get to the next scene where the crew is just hanging out.

I have to agree with you on the crew interactions being my favorite part as well. I have never been a big fan of Romulan politics, so I am happy that there are plenty of moments away from the Mission.

Ktrek

I think you have to read the book like it's the first of a two part Star Trek episode. It certainly is not an epic story and has more of the feel of a TV show. I also really enjoy the crew interaction.

Jeff,

Even though you may not really like Romulan politics you have to admit that it makes for an interesting study about how persons or groups of persons try to seize control of power when weakness is present whether real or perceived. The Cold War is not very far behind us and still fresh in the minds of people in my age bracket and the Romulans and the Russians have a lot in common. I also can see where Martin and Mangels may be forwarding their thoughts about U.S. involvement in Iraq. So the story can be taken on many different levels.

Kevin

jedijeff

I do see the similarities in the Romulans government and the Russians. Both trying to hide the large issues they are having, and try to project themselves as stronger then they are. This does have a bit of a cold war feel ( or ending of the cold war) where the Romulans are asking for help from the Federation, though there is still a lot of distrust between the two from generations of war or conflict.

I am interested to see the role that Tuvok will be playing in the story.