• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Don't forget to drop a review on iTunes for the podcast sometime or send a donation in for the show.

Main Menu

"STAR TREK Into Darkness" - 2013

Started by Rico, June 17, 2009, 04:46:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jobydrone

LMAO so much for the spoilers though ;)  As if everyone wasn't reading those anyway...
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

ChrisMC

Say what? We just talkin' about Khan.

And we can dig it. He's a complicated man, and no one understands him but McGiverssss.

Khan Singh.
Check out our Classic BSG podcast! http://ragtagfugitivepodcast.com/

Ktrek

This thread is getting too Khanvoluted for me!
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

billybob476

Simon Pegg just posted this pic on twitter. :)

Rico

Dead link Joe.  Did you save the pic?  Was it one of the pics I used for the Trek Daily pic yesterday?

billybob476

Here we go...just a candid shot from what I assume is his trailer/hotel room.

turtlesrock

WillEagle

I was hoping for something different but I'll have my butt in a seat when it hits the theaters!

ChrisMC

https://twitter.com/#!/ZacharyQuinto/status/200029006400192512/photo/1

Zachary Quinto is wrapped on ST, he just posted on Twitter. If shooting is just about done, can we expect a trailer this summer?
Check out our Classic BSG podcast! http://ragtagfugitivepodcast.com/

KingIsaacLinksr

Quote from: Jobydrone on May 02, 2012, 09:19:24 AM
So silly, people.  We know every single person on this thread is going to see this movie...they could put hamsters in Trek uniforms and I think most of us would still pay twelve bucks to see it.  Let's give JJ the benefit of the doubt and keep an open mind here.  The first movie was awesome and I have seen nothing that would lead me to believe the next is going to be any less awesome.

[spoiler]Reread this thread because I forgot to after I posted.  I may go to see this movie. I won't know until then, life and such forth. I would say its probably 70/30 chance I'll see it. However, I am not happy with them on this plot point and after two years this is just a copout in my opinion. I was of the opinion after the first Star Trek 2012 film that if they came back to Khan, its time to let this franchise go. Since we are coming back to Khan, its time to let the franchise go. And I say this for a lot of reasons I don't want to go into in this particular thread because it will horribly derail us.  The main point I want to stick to is that the lack of an original idea after two+ years of working on the script is incredibly disappointing and if we ever want a TV show, well, that's pretty much out the window at this point. If these writers can't come up with anything new in two years, what hope do we have for a unique Star Trek series?  Little to none from where I sit.

Just my 2 cents.
[/spoiler]

That said, its the only film I'm looking forward to in 2013, so that's gotta count for something.

King
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

Bryancd

First STAR WARS now STAR TREK, King! What, are you going to become a Twilight fan?! You are running out of franchises!

You know what I really want to say.... ;)

X

Personally, I don't like retelling other shows, but I'm going to have faith that this universe is fresh. I'm going to hope that the universes are different enough to where the time changes are considered.

If I am going to get a new Khan, I'd really love if he wasn't from the past. My hope is that they decide to take this in the direction of the Eugenics Wars. I think that if the war didn't happen in this time line until now, it would make a much stronger impact. Secret gene building so that humanity can compete with all of the other galactic races come to a head. Not something from the past that comes popping back up.

If I were them, that's the most likely direction to go. There is too much to tell with the eugenics wars and the botany bay for them to do it in the high octane style that they are accustomed to doing.

SO, you heard it hear first. Khan won't be from the past, but the present and all of the war of the supermen stuff will be what we are seeing on screen.

Rico

If you read some of the stuff floating around online, JJ almost put a shot at the end of his 2009 film of the Botany Bay floating out in space.  So, I don't think we will be seeing the start of eugenics in this upcoming movie.  Unless they do some type of teaser and then advance time by like 30 years or more to let Khan grow up.

billybob476

Botany Bay...Botany Bay! Oh no!

Jobydrone

Quote from: KingIsaacLinksr on May 08, 2012, 06:47:05 PM
Quote from: Jobydrone on May 02, 2012, 09:19:24 AM
So silly, people.  We know every single person on this thread is going to see this movie...they could put hamsters in Trek uniforms and I think most of us would still pay twelve bucks to see it.  Let's give JJ the benefit of the doubt and keep an open mind here.  The first movie was awesome and I have seen nothing that would lead me to believe the next is going to be any less awesome.

[spoiler]Reread this thread because I forgot to after I posted.  I may go to see this movie. I won't know until then, life and such forth. I would say its probably 70/30 chance I'll see it. However, I am not happy with them on this plot point and after two years this is just a copout in my opinion. I was of the opinion after the first Star Trek 2012 film that if they came back to Khan, its time to let this franchise go. Since we are coming back to Khan, its time to let the franchise go. And I say this for a lot of reasons I don't want to go into in this particular thread because it will horribly derail us.  The main point I want to stick to is that the lack of an original idea after two+ years of working on the script is incredibly disappointing and if we ever want a TV show, well, that's pretty much out the window at this point. If these writers can't come up with anything new in two years, what hope do we have for a unique Star Trek series?  Little to none from where I sit.

Just my 2 cents.
[/spoiler]

That said, its the only film I'm looking forward to in 2013, so that's gotta count for something.

King

How could a seventh Star Trek series ever be considered an original idea?  How could the twelfth movie in a series ever be considered an original concept???  If they are rehashing/reusing/rebooting (whatever term you prefer) all the protagonists from the original series, what then is the issue with doing the same with one of the most iconic antagonists?  We have no idea what the story is yet so in my opinion calling for an end to the franchise is a bit premature.

Also, do you know how many police/investigative procedurals there are on TV currently, and how many have been on in the history of television?  Probably hundreds of thousands of unique, indiviual stories if not more.  And yet the Hollywood machine still seems more than capable of churning out original ideas within the same broad general construct.  I feel certain that with the assistance of some talented, creative writers a new Trek series could be viable and interesting.

Tim, you are too young to be so damn cynical, especially about things that have brought you so much joy in your short life.  You are smart, funny, and insightful and I enjoy your writing alot here and on your blog...use your powers for the light side young padawan!
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx