• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Don't forget to drop a review on iTunes for the podcast sometime or send a donation in for the show.

Main Menu

George R.R. Martin

Started by Akitu, September 28, 2007, 03:56:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Akitu

Anyone read George R.R. Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire" series?

If you're a fan of high fantasy I definitely recommend giving these a try. Rumor has it that HBO picked it up as well with plans to make a miniseries. I picked up the first novel A Game of Thrones at the urging of a friends and burned through it that night. I loved the writing style and plot intricacies. It's not a lighthearted story, to be sure but it's easily addicting.

If you're unfamiliar with George R. R. Martin give his website a try. http://www.georgerrmartin.com/

Geekyfanboy

I love fantasy and it's hard to find really good fantasy.. can you give us a brief synopsis of the story?

Duffster

I love this series and am eagerly awaiting the next book. It's definitely not your nice sweet goodey goodey story though, as akitu mentioned. Martins character development is awesome!!

It's kinda hard to give a synopsis though, as there are a ton of characters, and there are so many story lines going on, but that's the way I like my books, on a grand sweeping scale. It's also not the kind of fantasy with elfs and dwarfs and trolls all about. There is magic involved in the story, but he doesn't go overboard with it.

Definitely give it a read if you haven't, I pretty much guarantee if your a fantasy fan you will like it.

Duffster
Duffster is, The HugoNaut
www.thehugonaut.com

Blackride

These are some of my favorite books along with the DragonLance Series. Martin's characters are very well developed. The stories themselves are fantasy but not smack you in the face fantasy with elves,trolls,dwarfs etc....

These are definetly adult books with a very hard edge for fantasy readers. A must read for any avid fantasy readers out there!
Ripley: Ash. Any suggestions from you or Mother?
Ash: No, we're still collating.
Ripley: [Laughing in disbelief] You're what? You're still collating? I find that hard to believe.

Akitu

As Duffster mentioned, a synopsis is challenging because the plot is so intricate and the characters so numerous. The best I can say is that it's a major struggle between families and characters are rarely what they first seem to be. It can be confusing to get all the storylines straight right away but it's definitely worth it.