• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

The next podcast will be on Feb. 19th and will be a guest cast by Mark.

Main Menu

Battletech

Started by billybob476, September 21, 2007, 07:06:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billybob476

I was wondering if anyone here had read any of the old battletech novels. I've got a good 15 of them myself and I really do enjoy the universe. I think the martial structure of the clans versus the fiefdoms of the inner sphere is an interesting dynamic. It's cool how some novels (even within the same story arcs) are very military, while others are very political. Also it is very interesting to see how the universe incorporates social classes (i.e. nobles versus 'peasants') into a sci fi setting.

Oh also, big robots are always cool.

Unfortunately many of these novels are out of print, though they can be found on eBay.

Comments, questions?

Rico

I've played the tabletop game a bit with some friends.  Also played some of the PC "Mech" type games.  I have a couple of novels around but haven't had a chance to read them yet.  But meaning to.  Which are your favorites?

billybob476

Well there are the 3 books from the Blood of Kerensky trilogy (Lethal Heritage, Blood Legacy and Lost Destiny, all by Micheal A Stackpole) which follow the initial invasion of the clans.

The Twilight of the Clans which is a multi book series (which is at least 8 books I think) which covers the inner sphere taking the war back to the clans.

There are many others, like most series some good, some not as good but I think there is something for everyone.

Here's a good list from wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_BattleTech_novels

PepperDude

Who created the Battletech universe?  All I know is that Mechwarrior 2 was a great PC game back in the day. Is this universe related at all to the Starsiege/Tribes universe?

billybob476

Battletech was created by FASA (I believe). Mechwarrior 2 was based on battletech tabletop game. I don't think starsiege or tribes are related to it though they may have taken ideas from it.

Here's the wiki on battletech. I can try and explain the universe but it gets pretty complex, though very cool if you are into sci fi and politics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battletech