• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Podcast # 893 is now up covering TV Themes

Main Menu

Star Trek: Season 6 - Arabella

Started by Geekyfanboy, March 05, 2008, 02:10:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jen

Clad in russet robes, the vulcan stood before a hall of students. Her soft alto was amplified naturally by the astute design of the ancient lecture theater; yet one individual's tapered ears would not hear the new professor. The man did not care that the lecturer was qualified, or experienced. All that mattered was that she was the daughter of Krell—a key figure in the unification movement. There were also rumors that Master Sevryll lacked emotional discipline, and whispers that she had narrowly avoided being declared "vrekasht" or outcast. Her father worked with Ambassador Spock in his effort to return Vulcan to Presundering; the days before Surak—the time before logic became their collective mantra. "These separatists will be stopped, he muttered—reassuring himself. "Those who safeguard Vulcan, are growing in numbers. I am only one of many."

Shafts of light illuminated the man, then restored him to shadow as he tread past the immense windows surrounding the room. The hard soles of his boots clacked quietly, grinding grains of sand into the ancient stone floor, as he slowly circled his prey.  The robed man kept his dark eyes locked on the oblivious orator, as he skirted the parameter of the spherical theater in search for the optimum position with which to observe the woman's manner.

Modern Golic rolled effortlessly from her lips and reverberated in the vast space that surrounded them. The address that day was on the violent and destructive people who proceeded contemporary vulcans.  "Ages past, our people bore the wound of blowing sand and searing sun. The ground opened to devour us, the wind danced on our crops and leveled our cities. We wept for the pain and struggled for survival".

The man smirked inwardly at the irony her words. "Poignant." He thought as she continued to quote the ancients, "we fight for survival today as well, yet it is not the ground that has opened to eat us. It is the pestilence of Reunification that has infected our society, and threatens to consume Vulcan. Individuals like you, Sevryll, who water down our culture and erase our progress."

He watched as the students lapped up her poison like children swilling Harat juice. "These sons and daughters of Vulcan are our future... and here, in these halls, illogical renegades peddle lies laced with traces of truth. I see beyond the façade and past the words of ancient wisdom. The question is, how will I reveal this fraud to the naive?"

He sheathed himself in the shadows, nearest the exits, and observed— studying her for signs of emotion and listened for mistakes in her lecture or radical statements that could be use as evidence to denigrate her, before his fellow academy masters and administrators."

In her peripheral vision, Sevryll noticed a silhouette monitoring her from the shadows. She had watched him slither closer, and despite his attempt to mask his presence, she recognized him. They were once bondmates, but it was never to be. Saapsigo's parents did not approve of her own father's choice in friends, or his espousal of Spock's cause. A few years before the bonding, they rejected Sevryll. Saapsigo's family ceased all communications and found another bondmate for their son. Sevryll had not been as fortunate.

She dismissed her class and waited for Saapsigo to approach her. "Welcome, Sevryll. I trust your first day went well?" an even voice uttered from the security of the shadows.

She folded her hands before her and inclined her head. "Yes." She replied.

He stepped into the light, revealing his features, and lifted both brows before continuing, "Why are you not commanding your Starship khartausu?" He annunciated the latter word sardonically, which loosely translated in Federation Standard to, 'commander'.

Sevryll turned her eye from him ruefully, and began gathering her things to leave. "Change is the essential process of all existence." She said softly.

He watched her a moment as she organized her desk, "I do not mean to offend." The man said. Yet she knew it to be a half-truth as soon as the words met her ears.

Sevryll arced a single eyebrow and lifted her gaze. "Why are you here?" she asked.

"I am an academy master as well. I came to welcome you, nothing more." Replied the Vulcan, feigning insult. "May I walk you to your next lecture?"

"I am retiring for the day, thank you. It was agreeable to see you," She said as she courteously nodded and turned to go, leaving Saapsigo alone to plot.
Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

X

Joint Post by Jen and Just X

The sparkling glow of the transporter faded as the young half Vulcan materialized on the rocky red orb. Aria took a deep breath of the arid Vulcan air as she headed towards the medium size red sandstone building where her younger sibling attended school. After accepting a request to do a medical consultation for a very ill bajoran, she wanted to spend a little of her free time with the twins.

Aria's eyebrow arched as her enhanced hearing caused her to overhear a cold and emotionless voice lecturing M'rynn and N'vall. Aria increased her pace and smiled at the children as she approached.

"Laughing has no place here," one of the vulcan women suggested as she looked down on Aria's siblings. "It is a disconcerting that your mother has purposely neglected your training."

"Excuse me," Aria said stiffly as she shoved the woman out of her path. "You are NOT their teacher, and I fail to see the logic in your attempts to educate my brother and sister."

"I have concerns that your ... siblings'... emotional display will hamper the development of my own child," the woman said as she turned her disdain to Aria.

"I have concerns that you are an overbearing degenerate who has no place conceiving children in the first place. But note, I have not attempted to involve myself in how poorly you are raising your own child," Aria said as the emotion drain from her face. "It would benefit you greatly if you followed my example. And if you ...EVER ... lecture my family in the future, you will not be dealing with defenseless children, you will be dealing with me."

The vulcan woman did not know what to make of the comment or the haughty girl before her. Her assessment was that the children were yet another dilution of the proud vulcan blood, and this girl seemed ... pleased ... with that fact. She required clarification of the young woman's statement, "Are you attempting to threaten me, child?"

"Just advising you that these children, and their emotions, are a direct representation of infinite diversity in infinite combinations. It is illogical for you to attempt to suggest that they be identical to the full Vulcan children here." Aria said as she gathered up the twins and began to move them away from the woman. She could have let it go there, but sometimes she was too protective of her family for her own good. As they drew further away, Aria glanced back at the woman. She glanced specifically at the communicator on the woman's slender hip.

Opening her mind, Aria reached out the small device and commanded it to initiate a slight overload. It wouldn't be enough to truly harm the woman, but it wouldn't be a pain free event. The woman was asking for it and Aria was happy to provide her with an equal amount of physical pain for the emotional variety she dealt the twins.

"How was school today?" Aria asked as the communication began the slow build of power to cause the overload.

moyer777

The Captain's Chair was hands down, the best place for food and a pint anywhere in town.  It's dark wood exterior stood out against the modernized buildings around it.  The big Keg hanging above the doorway had the words "Make it so" scrolled across it.  Underneath that was the sign that read "The Captain's Chair"  a small captains wheel was to the right of the words.  Being so close to the waterfront the smell of the salt was in the air.

Walking into the pub for the first time caught people off guard.  It was old feeling, but modern in it's function.  The tables were all of a pirate feel and the booths had character.  Lanterns were on each table and a large sea bearing bar took up the right side of the establishment.  Nautical gadgets adorned the walls as well as holo screen in the center with the Starfleet news playing.  It seemed out of place, but many of the patrons were glued to the screen as they ate their dinner. Pictures of sailing ships hung on the walls as well and there were pictures of captains from every point in history including modern day starship captains.   

J'dan Marley stood behind the bar and tied his black apron behind his back.  His shift had just started and there were many customers to wait on.  A pub was a tad bit different than a regular bar, considering all the different types of draft beers and imports from around the galaxy.  He had to be up on his drinks as at this place they served all kinds!  He carried a data pad in the pocket of his apron just to make sure that he never got stumped.  Some of the folks that came to the pub asked for strange things, but in the last six months no one, human or otherwise had stumped him.

He punched a few things into the replicator and instantly empty frosty beer mugs materialized. J'dan pulled the lever to release the odorous liquid and set the drinks on the bar.  "Here you go" he said as he gave them a push.  The first drink sailed down the bar into the hands of a thirsty patron. The second missed it's target bounced off a bowl of pretzels and tipped over into the lap of a webbed hand Zaldan.  He winced and stood up from the bar.  The beer dripped from his pants and onto the floor as he became angry. 

"Why you Bullgalian Sludge Rat!" he sneered.

J'dan smirked and quickly extinguished his smile while literally running up to confront the angry man.  "Listen here you idiot! You should have put out those goofy looking hands and stopped it before it fell into your lap!" J'dan actually yelled this at the top of his lungs.  The other patrons all stared at the spectacle only to sigh with relief when the Zaldan lifted his head and let out a belly laugh. 

"hahaha! You are lucky Bajoran!  I am in a good mood today!"  he said.  "Give me something to clean this mess up with!"

J'dan shook his head and threw a towel at the man.  "Here you go! And you can have any drink in the house, on the house!" The man bent down and started cleaning up the liquid, J'dan did the same.  While on the floor wiping up the mess the Zaldan slipped a small metallic case out of his sleeve and pushed it toward J'dan.  He whispered... "give this to Brex- Golian's orders."  J'dan caught the small case in his towel, he quickly dropped it into his apron pocket and stood up.  His heart beat hard in his chest. 

"Oh great" he murmured.  In his head he started to panic. 

A voice from behind the bar jarred him back to reality.  "Hey, J'dan, two orders of fish and chips and two pints of number 37!" the cook barked out.

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com

KingIsaacLinksr

Being in quarentine was hard.

Knowing that your freedom was limited was like being in jail.

Margon had been working with Sevryll's twins for a few hours creating music.  He had two more sessions this afternoon with a Lt. and and ensign that were struggling with the death of a co-worker.  It would be a long day.

The chime at the door sounded.

"Come" said the counselor.

"Sir," a young man said,"Captain Quinn wants you to take a look at this.  It was recovered in the data transfers from the Tiberius.  He said it had your name flagged on it."

"Thank you ensign" Margon said as he took the computer chip.  It was a standard data chip.  He sat it next to his computer console and then reluctantly placed it in the slot.

The words "Final log entry from Ensign Isaac Starstriker" came up on the screen.

Margon sighed.  He had read many of these type of entries in the last week.  It had only been a few days since they had all wound up on the abandoned Science Station.

He put in his password and the video log entry followed.

The scene was one of moroseness.  In a small room stood a young male with two creatures sitting on his shoulders.  At his feet was a rectangular flashing device.  It was called a tricorder.  It was open with a display flashing some unknown message.  The young man standing had his eyes and mouth open in shock and disbelief.  It was as though his life was passing before his eyes.  He fell to the floor with tears flowing from his eyes.  It was not the pain of hitting the floor, but something far worse.   "How...why...who" was all he said as tears continued to flow from his eyes.  Isaac Starstriker was seeing death and he knew it.

"There must be a mistake.  THERE MUST BE!!" he yelled as he slammed his fists into the carpet.  But looking at the tricorder, he knew it could not lie.  There on the display was a count of the virus and it was highly concentrated in his body.  Then without warning pain racked his body and his mind felt like a fire burning inside it.  It was as if a dam had burst and was pouring into him.  He cried out in pain and misery as his sugar gliders flew off his shoulder.  His body began to shake uncontrollably as the effects of the virus began to destroy his mind and body.  "This, can't be how I end!  I cannot die!!  I have too much left to do!!  PLEASE, DON'T TAKE ME NOW!!! PLEASE, GIVE ME ONE LAST CHANCE!" Isaac cried out as he curled into a ball.  Tears streamed down his face as he felt his body die.

But then, the pain stopped.  He felt a clarity of mind that had been lost for what seemed like forever.  It was as though a shield had been cast around his consciousness.  He knew the pain was still there, but it was as though observing it from afar.  It was then something happened.

He looked around and all he could see was Sickbay.  But it was empty.  Then a door opened and he saw himself enter with Dr. Lucas.  Then the scene changed to when they were getting their medals for Valor.  As he saw himself drinking, the scene changed to the Mess Hall.  It was there he saw himself fall onto a table.  It changed again to the sickbay and Sevryll standing over him about to perform the mind-meld.  After that came the scene where he read the mind's of people on the ship.

All of the sudden, it became clear to him.  "I'm, I am the carrier, the starter, I started this mess, I am the one who started this plague.  I am responsible.  My foolishness." He pounded the ground in rage and sadness with tears falling from his eyes.  "HE DID THIS TO ME.  HE GAVE ME THE VIRUS AND THEN I SPREAD IT.  HOW DARE HE?!  DR. LUCAS, HOW COULD YOU???!!!" he yelled out in fury.

He collapsed to the ground panting with tears falling from his face.  Isaac forced himself to calm down.  'Yelling in rage accomplishes nothing.  Dr. Lucas died first because of his crimes.  He got what was deserved.'

Isaac sat down and closed his eyes.  His consciousness felt no pain but he knew that his body was being ravaged by the virus.  Whatever was keeping him from the pain, he appreciated it as it gave him a clear mind.  Then he realized, 'my body is giving me the chance.  Somehow, it found a way to stop the virus' damage to my mind.'  But he could feel his body dying, the anti-bodies were not going to allow him to survive.  He was going to die.

"The end is coming then, but not for them, for me."  said Isaac in a most watery voice.  "There is something I must do.  Computer, begin Visual Personal Log and save to memory reader" ordered Isaac.  The computer beeped in confirmation.  Isaac began to speak.

"Captain Quinn, I'm sorry for all that I've done.  My actions endangered the crew and the ship.  I'm afraid that I'm probably the worst ensign to have ever been under your command.  I wish I could make up for my actions.  Please, Captain, forgive me for what I've done."

Isaac winced as he started to feel the pain in his body.  He didn't have much longer.

"Commander Sevryll, I'm sorry for putting you through the mind-meld.  I'm afraid that it might have done you a lot of harm.  However, I am glad that I was able to meet your children.  I hope they survive this mess.  Please know, I didn't want to bring you or them any harm."

"Aeric James, I don't know what happened between the two of us, but you seemed to dislike me.  I hope that you can forgive me for what I've done before and now.  I wish you luck on your journey.  It looks interesting."

He winced again and he felt tears coming from his eyes.  'Why am I so sad.   Why am I in such a state?'

"Margon, you helped me in my time of need.  For that, I am forever grateful.  You don't know how much you helped me.  I was feeling lost and you got me back on the right path.  You're a true friend Margon.  My only friend I have had." Isaac smiled weakly.

"You have a light about you Margon.  You have the ability to give hope to those who need it.  Never waver from this ability you have.  I am, truly sorry about Brex.  I'm afraid that I was the cause of his death.  I hope you can forgive me Margon.  Please, do not let grief and sadness consume you.  I know you will be feeling a lot of pain.  Live on, for both Brex and I did what we had to do so that you would survive.  Do not let our sacrifice be in vain.  Live..."

"This is my final will and testament.  My Sugar Gliders are to be named by Margon.  In addition, Counselor Margon, you will receive any and all my things that I possess.  However, Margon, your to keep the Sugar Gliders until they imprint upon you or someone they meet.  You will know when they have found the right person.  They know I'm dying."

Isaac felt his body shutting down.  It was an odd feeling as though he was viewing it from another person's perspective.  He shut his eyes but he no longer felt the pain.  The reason he was crying was now clear to him.

"I'm so sorry for what I've done.  I unwittingly spread the virus amongst the ship.  When I scanned the ship to sense the mood of the crew, I passed on this virus.  I never wanted to hurt anyone and yet in the end, I'm responsible for the deaths of my crewmates and possibly the ship.  I'm...so...sorry."

Isaac closed his eyes again with tears streaming.  His body was shaking slightly from the virus and the crying.  The end was coming.

'I wish, I wish I didn't have to die.  I wish I could live on' he thought. "I have so much left to do, so much I could tell you."  "Why?!" he cried out in anguish.  "Why do I have to die?!  Why must I be taken so soon?!  Why must my race be tortured so??!!"

Clarity came to him and he saw the truth.  "Because we failed.  We were supposed to be guardians of justice and peace and in the end, we failed.  We failed the mandate that we had been given and we paid for it with our lives."

Looking back at the recorder, "You must not do what our race failed to do.  Do not let the Federation crumble.  Do not give up.  If you fail, then your race and all races will pay for your mistakes and end up like mine.  Do not become my race's folly.  Because of our failure, we paid for it with our extinction.  Please, do not let the same thing happen in this universe."

He began coughing and his body began to tremble and he knew that the end was upon him.

"Margon, I'm truly happy to call you friend.  Do not give into grief.  I go to a better place.  Please, be a friend to others like you were to me." he smiled.

"I am glad to have known you all and call you friends.  My last action is to ensure that this body has enough of the antibody needed to fight the virus.  I don't know if it will develop the cure, but it's a chance."

He sat on the floor and began to shake even more.  It felt like his body was coming apart.   "I'm glad to have known all of you, goodbye...my...friends..." His sugar gliders had gotten back onto his shoulders and seemed to comfort him.

He tilted his head towards the ceiling and in his final moments his eyes grew wide and seemed to shine.  "Oh......wow......its.....beautiful"

And then Isaac Starstriker closed his eyes and he seemed to be at peace as he died.

** END OF LOG **

The shiny computer console went dark to reveal the reflection of Counselor Margon with tears on his face.

"I forgive you Isaac."

He paused and took a deep breath.

"Rest in peace my friend Isaac, rest in peace."
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

wraith1701

As the warm night breeze ruffled his hair, K'Tan slowly made his way towards the isolated hut.   The breeze grew into a low, ghostly howl, peppering his skin with grit and sand particles.  Reaching towards his wrist-mounted communicator, the lieutenant typed in a quick message to his accomplice: I AM ABOUT TO ENTER DR. T'PRIS' HUT.  PREPARE FOR EXTRACTION IN ONE-HALF HOUR.

Holding his phaser close to his chest, K'Tan ducked down and quickly sprinted towards the rear of the hut, timing his run to coincide with the steadily growing windstorm whispering in the desert night.  After arriving at the hut, K'Tan flattened his back against the structure, savoring the cool feel of the adobe surface.   After a brief pause to catch his breath, he slowly edged his way towards the entrance of the hut, taking care to mask his footfalls as much as possible.  K'Tan knew that the pointy ears of the vulcans weren't just for show; their hearing was rumored to be almost supernaturally keen.  As he came to the sealed doorway, the Lieutenant took a deep breath, then whirled around, landing a solid kick to the center of the door.  The wooden panel snapped free of the door hinges with a satisfying CRACK, then fell inward to settle to the floor with a muted thoom.  Phaser held at the ready, K'Tan charged in, scanning to the left and right for a sign of the Vulcan scientist.  The light of his phaser-mounted light beacon revealed a clean but sparsely decorated room; there was a simple cot on the floor in one corner, and a small hearth containing an meager flame that gave off the scent of exotic spices.  A weathered, dusty duffel bag was the only other furnishing in the small hut. Of the doctor, there was no sign.  As he mentally backtracked in an attempt to pin down exactly when he could have lost track of his prey, K'Tan was startled by a sinewy arm reaching down through an open portal in the ceiling directly above him.  Before he could fully register what was happening, his phaser was plucked out of his grasp; seconds later, a booted foot shot through the portal, connecting with his jaw with a sickening crunch. His vision blurring, K'Tan could barely see the floor of the hut rushing up to welcome him in its cold embrace.  As his head connected with the floor with a solid clunk, his last thought was "I have to learn not to underestimate these vulcans..."

An indeterminable time later, K'Tan awoke to find his arms bound behind him with his own restraining cable.  Standing before him was a tall, svelte vulcan woman with jet black hair and pale, almost blue-white eyes.  The hint of a cruel smile played across the woman's lips as she leveled her newly acquired phaser rifle at K'Tan.  "Well, if it isn't the acting security chief of the late Tiberius", she said.  "Your tenacity is rivaled only by your illogic.  Your crewmates have their cure, and my virus has been rendered useless.  What do you stand to gain by pursuing me?"

"Justice!" K'Tan spat.  "You have to pay for the damage you've done, for the lives that you've cost!"

The Doctor tilted her head and arched an eyebrow in confusion.  "Justice?  will punishing me bring back those who have died?  Will it bring back your Starship?  I think not."  The doctor calmly flicked a switch on the side of the phaser; with a high-pitched whine, the weapon powered up to its maximum setting.  "I commend you on your tracking abilities, lieutenant, but I must regretfully inform you that I can not allow you to leave this room alive.  I still have much to do, and I can ill afford you interfering with my work."

As he stared into the gaping maw of the phaser rifle, K'Tan repeatedly stabbed at the SOS key on his wristpad.  Now would be a good time, ensign Dunn, he thought feverishly...

Omra

They fell into the same familiar dance, circling, looking for an opening.  Watching each others posture, the positioning of their feet.  Shyn believed she saw an opening, she struck, her claws lashing out in complex circular patterns interlaced with quick strikes.  Each of them blocked or swatted aside by Korridans staff.

Shyn stepped back stunned, "How did you stop me so easily?"  Korridan spoke, his face impassive, "You have fallen into a trap many matrial artists fall into; you are practicing and rehearsing movements and then executing them."  "They eventually become second nature," he continued, "and then you find yourself fighting purely by muscle memory."  He nodded, "Some call it 'Zen' or to 'act without thought', it gives you incredible reaction times," he shakes his head, "but if you fight a master of the form, he can read you like a book."

Shyn spoke, "But the chances of me running into a master of, any form, is all but nil."  He smiled, "This is true, but I did this more importantly to teach you two important lessons."  He held up a finger, "One; Zen Fighting is great for one on one battle, in a arena or tournament."  He wagged the finger, "But it is a fatal mistake on a battlefield, a battlefield is a chaotic ever changing place, completely unpredictable."  His eyes became cold, "If you allow yourself to 'zone out', to fight the opponent you do see, you will not be able to prepare for the ones you do not see."

He was pleased to see she was focusing on his words, "To think too much is fatal, to not think at all is also fatal."  His eyes focus on her, "To allow your body to become a killing machine is fine, so long as your mind is an 'active' observer, always looking for new threats, and adapting to changes."

He held up another finger, "Two; FUBAR; remember that word," he smiled, "there is NO perfect battle plan."  He sighed, "No amount of planning , preparation or training, can prepare you for every contingency."  "No matter how smart your CO is, they simply cannot think of everything," he succumbed to the thousand yards stare, "it can and will go wrong, be ready for it, and adapt quickly."

He smiled, "And as long as I am on a roll, be careful of your tells."  Shyn asked, "My what?"  He led her from the arena, "That is what they are referred to in Poker; they are visual clues that your opponents unconsciously give off, that can allow you to predict their next move, or if they are bluffing."  Shyn nodded, taking it all in.

As they approached a tavern deep inside the Alien District, on their way home.  A group of drunken freighter jockeys could be seen lingering in the shadows outside, they had most likely been kicked out.  The largest one brazenly approached trying to draw their attention, as the others tried to flank them.

The big one leered at Shyn with lust filled eyes, "Here Kitty, kitty, kitty..."  He snorted at his joke and came closer, "I have a nice bag of Catni*"  He never got to finish his drunken pickup line, Shyns fist interupted him.  In a blur of motion it had shattered the bridge of the thugs nose, a fountain of blue blood sprayed from his sinuses as he toppled backwards from the impact.  He fell to the ground clutching his nose and howling. 

The leader of the other three stopped in mid stride, finding the end of Korridans staff in his face.  They were clearly not as sneaky as they had imagined.  Realizing even in their drunken stupor that they did not have the upper hand, they abandoned their plan and went to help their fallen comrade.

Shyn and Korridan went along their merry way, as if nothing had happened.

Shyn asked, "Did you see a tell that time?"

He smiled, "No, I did not."  They laughed.

X

Aeric rubbed his hands over his face before looking back at the various PADDs before him. Information that wasn't in front of his was being processed via his neural link to the facility's main computer. He had recently received data from the test of one of the two Intrepid refits that they would be able to support additional weapons thanks to the quantum reactors. The problem was that both spaceframes had already been completed and any new systems would have to be worked into existing equipment.

Work of the completed Akria was all but done. Crews were already adding the final coats to the paint job. Every time that Aeric looked out of his window to the ship, chills ran down his spine. Externally, she looked almost exactly as he had first seen her. The only change was the addition of the massive 'A' that rested at the end of very familiar call numbers.

The sleek Katana class vessel was well into production. She was one of the few newly designed vessels that would be coming out of the VFY. She was smaller than the Intrepids that were being worked on near her, but she was part of a very able design.

Commander James waited quietly for the others to arrive for the meeting. The large meeting room would soon be filled to capacity with designers, engineers, berth managers, and other minds that helped to keep the facility on track. Commanders K'tan and K'arath would be arriving as well to join in the conversation and discussions that made this facility unique.

Aeric was constantly on the lookout for new minds that would bring new ideas to the work that they did at the VFY. He had lobbied hard to keep some of those unique minds that had once served on the Tiberius to be some part of the creation of these new ships. Aeric had invited K'Tan to be a part of the weapons design team on the Intrepid project. K'arath had been invited to consult on the new Akira class that would be departing soon. K'arath was one of the few engineers that had been exposed to the working of the quantum reactors and with his insights, they were able to better update and redesign the systems in the Akira.

The Akira... no ... she had a name now. She was the Tiberius and some of those that served on the ship before her had been instrumental in making her better than the one that came before her. Operational reports had informed her that a new captain and crew would be soon transferred to her. Whoever they decided to crew her would know that she was built by people that loved her. Every ship coming out of the facility was being built with that same care and respect.

Systems and components were assembled by hand when time allowed. Replication systems were use to enhance the building process at the VFY, not to replace it. This required the construction crew to invest more time than counterparts on other spacedocks, but Aeric felt that the personal touches allowed them the ability to build a better ship. It allowed them to make each ship a unique masterpiece that wasn't just a prefabricated ship that only needed bodies to perform the wielding.

It was that same attention to detail that was applied to the newly built crafts in their berths. Any part that could be assembled by hand was assembled by hand. Dilithium crystals had been handpicked for each warp reactor based on the specific needs and power requirements of each vessel. While each ship would still be able to use and support the standard mass produce components that were the Federation standard, it was the little touches to each vessel that made them seem that much more special.

"James to communications," Aeric said as he depressed his badge.

"Ensign Walker here sir," came back a young male voice.

"Please contact all personnel that are scheduled to attend my briefing and inform them that it will begin shortly." Aeric said. "Also inform Commanders K'Tan and K'arath that transporter systems will be made available to them should they needed. I know that this meeting has been pushed up a few hours, but I would like to see that everyone invited makes it on time."

"Orders confirmed commander," Walker said. "We will begin contacting those scheduled to attend."

"Thank you James out."

Bryancd

Ensign Dunn sat in the personnel transport K'tan had managed to...procure from Vulcan Security. He shook his head and smiled. He may not have the ridges, but boy, he could really act like a Klingon if circumstances needed! Although not known for their emotions, that Vulcan yard officer looked very worried. It was a shame this thing didn't have air conditioning, clearly Vulcan's didn't mind the heat. Well, he did, as he sat waiting....waiting for K'tan to return from his observation post with an accomplice to mass murder or he got the call o come and help. He had already decided the later was less likely, although Vulcan's were VERY strong. He had learned that first hand in the sickbay of the Tiberius when he was summoned to help restrain an elderly Vulcan woman and had to stun her with a phaser. It seemed like a lifetime ago....
Life in quarantine had been a welcome respite from the last days of the Tiberius. Over the course of, what, 72 hours he had gone from new recruit to veteran in a trial by fire. He liked to think he responded well...well enough that K'tan asked him to stay here on Vulcan and bring Dr. Lucas accomplice to justice...or to visit that justice upon them.

Geekyfanboy

Nathan and Nic walked down the tree lined street heading to Quinn's family house. The entire family was getting together for dinner a perfect opportunity for Nathan to tell them his big news. As they approached the front door Nic turned to Nathan, "How do you think your family going to take your news. I know your mother has loved you being near by the past year." Nathan smiled, " I know, I have enjoyed being close to my family but they should be happy for me, this is what I want." Nathan turned towards Nic, " I know you have put your career on hold for me." Nic started to interrupt, Nathan held his finger up to Nic's lips. "Let me finish, you have given up several promotions and good ships to stay here with me. It's time that we both get back into space." Just then the front door opened and Quinn's mother burst out with a loud cry of joy. Nathan quickly turned and walked up the stairs to embrace his mother. Nic followed and was enveloped into the hug. As they walked into the house Nathan noticed a familiar face, "AJ, when did you get back to Earth?" Nathan asked and he went to hug the older man.  AJ squeezed Nathan tightly "It's good to see you son, it's been far too long," AJ noticed Nic "And who might this be?" Nathan grabbed Nic's hand and pulled him near "AJ I would like you to meet my partner Nicolas Took, Nic this is my god father AJ Potter" Nic put his hand out to shake but AJ grabbed him and gave him a bear hug. "So this is the famous Nic that stole the heart of my Godson." AJ released Nic who staggered back to catch his breath.

Jennifer, her husband Daniel and their kids Melody and Jack along with Nathan's father Jerrad and Nathan's youngest sister Anena came walking around the corner. Everyone hugged and greeted each other then walked into the family room. Quinn's mother Anashta quickly returned to the kitchen to finish up dinner.

As they started to gather around the dining table Quinn stood "I have some big news I would like to share with you all." He took a deep breath and continued "I had a meeting with Admiral Decker yesterday and he informed me that Starfleet has assigned me another ship." There was a moment of silence before everyone cheered and raised their glasses in a toast. Nathan looked across the table at the one person he was concerned about the most, his mother. She was smiling at him but Nathan could see the sadness in her eyes. He reached out with his mind and connected with hers. {It's okay mother, I'll be all right} he thought while her response could be heard in his mind. {I know little one, I just got use to you being around, and I will just miss you.}

They were all asking questions about his new ship, what class, what was her name and about his crew. Quinn answered "I don't know the class or the name, Decker just said that they had something special picked out for me. I'll be heading to Vulcan in a few days to see her. As for my crew, I've been in contact with quite a few of my Tiberius crew. I would love to get the old gang back together again. We have been through a lot together and it would be an honor to serve with them again. Of course I'll need new recruits so I'll be going over new Starfleet officer records. I was told that I have to have this crew ready to go within two weeks." As Quinn finished Anashta grabbed a near by plate and started to pass it around, "We are very proud of you son, but if we don't start dinner the food will get cold."  Quinn smiled and reached for another plate holding large amounts of mash potatoes.

wraith1701

As he stared into the cavernous maw of the phaser rifle, K'Tan resolved that if he was going to die, it would at least be on his feet.  He would not dishonor the memory of his parents by doing any less.  His hands still tied behind his back, the Lieutenant awkwardly rose to his feet, eyes open wide and staring into the pale, soulless eyes of Dr. T'Priss.  K'Tan could feel a trickle of sweat running down the back of his neck as the doctor's finger tightened on the trigger.  There was an explosion of light and sound, and K'Tan found himself suddenly thrown forward towards the doctor.  He craned his neck to look back at the wall behind him, his look of confusion mirrored by the one worn by doctor T'Priss. 

The rear wall of the hut was gone, replaced by a smoking pile of red-hot rubble.  The curtain of smoke rising from the ruins was momentarily parted by an errant breeze, and K'Tan caught a glimpse of a small vulcan transport hovering a few meters back.  A wisp of smoke issued from the still-warm muzzle of the military-grade phaser  cannon mounted beneath the shuttle's cockpit. 

"Good shooting, Dunn!", K'Tan snarled, an elated grin forming on his face.  He whirled triumphantly on the vulcan scientist.  T'Priss wore a distant, pained expression, and her coloring had gone from a coppery, olive hue to a pale, sickly green.  There was a loud clatter as her phaser rifle fell to the floor, still tightly gripped by her now severed right arm.  After glancing coolly from the arm on the floor to the cauterized, smoking stump of her shoulder, the doctor's left eyebrow arched in suprise, and she slowly sank to her knees.  K'Tan hastily kicked the phaser away from the doctor's reach as the shuttle settled in for a landing.

Minutes later, K'Tan sat in the passenger's seat of the shuttle as it sped towards the vulcan city of Kir.  To his left, Dunn was wrapping up a conversation with the local constabulary.  "...We should be arriving with the prisoner within the next five to ten minutes.  Please have a medical team there... we ran into some problems disarming her." 

K'Tan stifled a chuckle as he glanced back at the comatose prisoner in the rear of the shuttle.  "Heh... 'disarming'... You have a gift for understatement, ensign.  As well as a propensity for showing up guns-a-blazing.  Maybe we ought to call you 'Quick-Gun-Dunn'."

The ensign glanced at K'Tan with a scowl.  "I'd rather we didn't, sir."  Dunn handed K'Tan a PADD.  "By the way, you have a message." 

As K'Tan read over the message, his smile grew.  "Looks like Lt. James is calling on some of the Tiberius' crew to consult on some Starship upgrades.  I'll leave you to escort our guest to the authorities, Dunn.  I'll be beaming up to the dockyards as soon as we set down."

X

"Bring weapons and shields online," Rory said to her companion as she brought the shuttlecraft into a corkscrew spin.Thanks to the maneuver, the enemy weapons fire managed missed them by a few meters on what should have been direct hits. The ship seemed to dance over the larger asteroids while the craft's deflectors pushed the smaller objects out of her path. The hum of the quantum reactor increased slightly as power was diverted to weapons and defenses.

"Weapons are online," replied the masculine voice of her companion. "Targeting ... what do you want me to target?"

Rory spun the smaller craft in a half circle, while maintaining her previous speed. This caused the craft continue along its same path, with only a slight decrease in momentum. She was flying the craft backwards, but that allowed Rory and her partner to see the pursuit craft through the window of their cockpit.

"It's larger than I imagined," Rory said as she looked at the almost beetle shaped design of the Jem'hadar attack craft. "I need you to give me space to go to warp."

"Their ship may be big, but our brains our bigger. I have an idea." Dennis said with a smirk as his sensors scanned the craft. "Targeting their forward weapons array and deflector controls."

Pulse phaser cannons rapidly discharged phaser fire as the microtorpedo launchers released multiple warheads at the point in the shields they had directed their phaser fire. Out of the half dozen warheads that were released in their first spread, two of the quantum warheads managed to bypass shields and strike the deflector controls of the craft.

"Opening in shield is closing, but we've managed to take their deflector offline." Dennis grinned triumphantly as he targeted the larger asteroid they had just passed, and squeezed off a series of short burst that would send untold numbers of micrometeoroids rushing towards the enemy's vessel. "With their shield still up, they won't be damaged, but when they follow us into warp, the debris will overwhelm there shields and tear through their hull."

"I'm impressed," said Rory as she maneuvered the craft. Her hands danced over the controls and plotted a course to take them into the heart of the Federation. "Course set and ready. Going to maximum warp as soon as we are clear of the debris field."

Less than ninety seconds had passed before the shuttle cleared the field and leapt into high warp. Rory turned in her chair to face her companion and smiled. "You're getting much better with those weapons."

"Thanks," Dennis said. "Your flying wasn't something that you can learn in textbooks either."

"Someone has to put the Corona class through their paces," Rory said with a smile.

"So did we get enough data?"

"We'll find out as soon as they review it," Rory said. "Computer end program."

The sleek new vessel vanished around the two humanoid holograms as they moved towards the newly revealed arch. They had been working for days to get all of the data that they could on the performance of the new long ranged runabouts. Rory had piloted the ship on atmospheric maneuvers that would have torn lesser ships to shreds. Dennis had been working to fine tune the placement and weapons load of the new class. Together they had been though over a thousand continuous hours of simulations and dozens of different missions.

"We've been at this for over a month." Dennis said as a yawn swallowed the latter half of his sentence. "I think I know what it feels like to be tired now. What about you?"

Rory shook her head. "We did in a little more than a month what our organic counterparts couldn't do without round the clock shift changes. I think we earned a little down time."

"Good," Dennis said. "When I agreed to help you with a mission, I thought we would be getting out in the universe, not being stuck on a holodeck. I need to get back to Vulcan soon, I miss the children."

"Aria said that she would look after them while Sevryll began her lectures."

"That doesn't make me miss them any less." Dennis grinned. "Are you coming?"

"Of course, I just need to file these reports with the design team."

Meds

"That was unusual" thought Joe as he sat in his quarters looking at the glass window. A small blemish had appeared, almost like a small rainbow. He rubbed his temple and tried to remember why his eye had started to burn. "Was it because of the flirtations of Ensign Caine, no, it couldn't be that's ridiculous. The last time I felt that pain was...." His thoughts cut off as his speaker monitor kicked in.

Joe walked to the monitor and sat down.
"On"
The screen blipped into life and Commander Potter sat there looking at him with a smile on his face.
"Good Afternoon Joe, nice to see you."
Joe leaned forward and looked into the screen
"Good god. AJ, G'day. How are you my old friend?"

"I'm very well thanks Joe, it's good to see you've recovered." Commander Potter sat back in his chair and crossed his fingers. "So, are you eager to get back to work?"

"Ah mate I can't stay here. This room, this place, It's not me. I haven't even unpacked."

Potter looked to his left, past Joe's head to see the photograph on the table.
"I see you unpacked something. I'm sorry so Joe. I know what it's like to loose a loved one, I've lost a few wives in my time, and I still think about them"

"I'm fine mate. Now what's going on? You didn't call me out of politeness, I know you too well".

Potter laughed and leaned back in his chair. "We may have a role for you, back in Security".

Joe leaned forward eager to know more "Come on AJ stop teasing me, you may be six hundred odd years old but I see you're still acting like a fifteen year old, what's the plan?"

Potter laughed heartily "Less of the old my friend. I'm only five hundred and something. I've just had a catch up with an old friend of mine, well godson actually. Damn good bloke, he's had a hard time over the past year so you two will have something in common". Potter noticed that Joe's head had dropped slightly. "Come on Joe chin up, this is a chance to start again. I don't mean forget, just start again.

Joe stood up and walked to the table with the photograph, he picked it up and walked back to the monitor and sat down.
"He's still out there AJ, I won't rest till I've found him"

Potter's smile flinched for a second "I never thought you would stop, but at the same time you have a career and a life to continue hmm."

Joe smiled, turned and put the photograph into the unpacked case behind him. "So when do I find out what's going on?"

Potter relaxed, and smiled again. "Well I heard you met my young Ensign that I assigned to make sure you found your quarters, she's a good girl but a bit naïve".
Joe glanced at the rainbow bubble in the glass "I'm afraid I was a bit rude to her mate. Please apologise to her when you see her".

Potter laughed, "Still got that Australian bluntness with women then ha ha. Look as I was saying my godson looks like he's going to be recruiting soon. I've given him your name and also the name of young Ensign Caine. I've faith in both of you and he knows that I wouldn't give him names of just anyone".

Joe sat back and took a deep breath. "Thanks AJ, you're a good friend. I owe you big time".

Potter looked straight at Joe "It's up to Nathan though Joe. All I have done is recommended you to him. It's up to him to decide his team. Anyway for the mean time do try and relax. I hear the cricket tour is here in two days time, Ensign Caine was meant to give you tickets for the game but she told me 'she forgot to give them to you"  Potter winked "Take care Joe and I'll see you for that drink you owe me".

Joe looked at the screen "Cricket? Hold on where are the tickets? and what dri......." The monitor had clicked off before Joe was able to finish. He leant back and thought " I could do with a good game of cricket."

moyer777

J'dan finished his shift at the Captain's Chair, removed his data pad and a small silver case from his pocket and threw the soiled apron into the laundry replicator.  The sound of the re-processor hummed as he opened his locker and put on his coat.  He pulled out a small hand held device and inserted the chip that was enclosed in the case. 

A small buzzing noise interrupted him.  It was the wireless ear implant that indicated the need for a security code thumb print.  J'dan stepped out of the pub and made his way down the alley behind the establishment.  He slipped a small synthetic cap over his thumb and pressed it against the screen.

"Authorization Brex Beta Alpha 3" the computer spoke softly in J'dan's ear. 

The screen lit up and a code sprawled across it.  J'dan entered a few numbers and the code turned into writing.  It was Orion.

He glanced at the instructions and nervously entered some more numbers and letters.  If this was going to work then now was the time he would find out. 

Brex was a civilian, and his name was not reported the same as the rest of the crew when it came to notifying of the loss of life on the Tiberius.  In fact, J'dan had gone to some lengths to get Brex's name off of any list.  A friend, if you could call him that, who owed him a favor at Starfleet headquarters had conveniently forgotten to enter Brex's  death certificate into the system.

If the message came back to him, then all was well and the cover up at worked, if it did not, then J'dan would be a man who would be going into hiding.

Now all that was left to do was wait.  Of course there was the matter of trying to slip something in under the radar with Lt. Barkley and Margon too, but he would cross that bridge when he came to it.

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com

Omra

Under the blazing Vulcan sun they circled, Master and Pupil.  Sparring in the ancient clay soiled arena, they had become a regular attraction for the locals in the past week.  Shyn knew he was finding it hard to provoke her now; he had resorted to tossing toy mice at her.  She had simply laughed at him. 

Today Shyn had determined that she was going to be the one who threw someone off balance, "What is the matter, no nuggets of wisdom from the insane old man?"  He raised an eyebrow, "Insane?"  Shyn pressed, "You do talk to voices in your head, do you not?"  He smiled, "Perhaps I find them more entertaining and engaging than you, they are certainly more intelligent..." 

She watched his carefully balanced steps, not allowing her eyes to be diverted to the whirling staff, she had fallen for that trick too many times.  "Have you always been insane, or did it come from your advanced years?" she sneered.  He softly chuckled, "I believe I contracted it from your Mother."  She started, "What?"  WHOCK!!!  The staff struck home...

She awoke lying on the ground.  Korridan was resting on one of the stone benches, watching her, "I applaud your effort to try and turn the table."  He shook his head, "But I think you should simply try and ignore my comments rather than try and one up them..."  She rubbed her head, "Yeah, it kind of stole my concentration."  He smiled, "Now about those nuggets of wisdom..."  Shyn groaned, "Can't you just hit me again?"

He ignored her, "A wise man once said, keep your friends close, and our enemies closer."  She looked at him with a puzzled expression.  He explained further, "If they are close you can see what theyare up to..."  She nodded, understanding coming to her, "This is along the lines of that, 'know your enemy' thing you talked about."  He nodded, "This is also has to do with the way you treat those you perceive as a potential threat."  He looked at her, "You tend to treat confrontations with a kind of 'pack mentality'; as a battle for dominance, or for status within the pride or clan."  She nodded, she knew he was right.  "I always work from the position of," he smiled, "make allies not enemies." 

She frowned, "I am not so good at that, things were so simple on my world."  She sighed, "There was no word for deception in my tongue, you simply said what you meant."  She shook her head, "Out here on these other worlds, people do not say what they mean, it is so convoluted."

He nodded, "That is very true, I sympathize with your position Shyn," his expression softened, "People have motives and agendas which they hide, it is not a way of doing things that your people would tolerate, or understand."  Shyn added, "It is not honorable."

"What I am suggesting," he stressed, "is simply to allow them to THINK that you are not an adversary."  "And not by lying," he leaned towards her, "but by omission."  She seemed puzzled.  He explained further, "By not being viewed as an immediate threat, you are in a better position to counter his attacks or thwart his plans."

Shyn nodded, "So even if you are not really creating allies, you are allowing potential enemies to believe they are allies."  Korridan nodded, "Close enough, the complexities of verbal sparring are worse than physical sparring."  "But at least you have been introduced to a new line of thought," a faint smile arose, "something new to think about other than fighting and meditation." 

Shyn pondered aloud, "I think is IS a form of fighting, political fighting."  She added, "There is blocking, deflecting, and feigning."  Her eyes narrowed, "It is simply done with words instead of weapons."

He smiled, "Well put!"

iceman

Dr. Peterson kissed his wife goodbye, he paused for a moment to watch her enter the building in which she worked before he turned to head back to his office, his thoughts drifted back to when he saw the Tiberius explode into a million pieces of space dust and particles.

The memory of his time aboard the Tiberius was sketchy at best, as side effect from his exposure to the virus, he did not remember much of his time on the outpost as he would drift in and out of consciousness sometimes for days at a time.

However, Peterson did remember his crewmates and his thoughts drifted back and forth as he wondered what had happened to his friends, like Counselor Margon, and Commander Sevryll.

Peterson reached his office in no time, Starfleet Medical was mostly vacant as the cadets were either writing their final exams or studying for them.

All in all, Peterson was thankful for his position at Starfleet Medical, but missed his position on the Tiberius, and his friends, he could not explain it , although he was happy and content with his life, and his wife, he still longed to be in space and exploring the unknown..

Peterson looked at the picture of his wife that sat on his desk and then decided to send a communique to his friend, Margon as he knew that he would soon be coming back to earth and longed to catch up with his friend.

Peterson pressed the send button on his computer padd and then proceeded to tackle the large stack of papers that he still needed to grade.