• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Make sure to join the Treks in Sci-Fi group on Facebook.

Main Menu

Favorite Scary Movie?

Started by wraith1701, October 28, 2007, 08:22:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wraith1701

QuoteStephen King's IT 1990:
my whole generation was given nightmares from this made for TV movie

I saw this one, and I enjoyed it.  I read the book first, so there weren't really any scary moments, but I liked the story.

In an earlier post, I said that I don't seek out horror movies anymore-- this is true, except for when it comes to Stephen King.  I plan on seeing the adaptation of his short story "The Mist" when it comes out, and I think that in a perfect world, someone would adapt the entire "Dark Tower" series into a series of movies. 

space_invader64

Yeah, I read the book later and it expanded the story because of all the new charictors and events not covered in the movie.  There is talk of a remake in 2008.  I think they should get tim curry in the same makeup and costume but change everything else to be more like the book.

Rico

Like I said on the recent podcast, "Halloween" for me is tops at this time of year.  Not exactly the scariest thing I have ever watched, but I just really like the movie and think it's Carpenter's best.  Probably the "Alien" and "Aliens" movies are the most most pulse pounding and scariest for me.  Fun stuff!

space_invader64

You did and awsome job on this podcast Rico.  I enjoyed it a lot.  I agree with you about Halloween being an awsome movie for people this time of year.  The only thing about scary movies is that they start to lose their sting after you have seen them a time or two.

Geoff G.o.B

So being part way through Rico's spooky Halloween podcast, I got to thinking (yes it does happen on occasion) what was the scariest movie I've ever seen.
Now like Rico I'm not a big horror/slasher film fan, but I do like the old Hammer House of horror films and a few others so here goes my top three scary moments.

Salem's Lot - (David Soul & James Mason). There is a bit when the brother is in hospital and his now vampire brother comes floating up to the window, scratching at it to be let in. Its all foggy and the vampire boy is illuminated by a ghostly light. - now the reason this spooked me was because I watched in in my old house all on my own. when I went to bed I had moonlight streaming through my window, as old house do it made creaking noises during the night and then finally there was a feint scratching noise at my door. At this point I was almost rigid with fear, eventually my brain kicked in and like all good horror movies I went and opened the door, there sat my cat looking at me, I swear it was snickering.

Arachnophobia -  yes I know its a PG (parental guidance like most Disney films) but I'm a big girls blouse. I started watching it on my own in the dark, a quarter of the way through the film the lights went back on, halfway through I was taking short breaks to allow my heart rate to slow down.

Alien - not really a horror film but the suspense in it is just awesome, that little blip moving then disappearing was great.
If you can remain calm when all around you are panicking, you probably didn't understand the question

Geoff G.o.B

Talking John Carpenter, I luv the fog (original not the remake).

so whilst we are here, lets move on to discuss the stupidity of the horror film

1. Listen to the music, if you're walking down the steps to a cellar and the orchestra is going into overdrive, turn round and go and have a coffee.

2. If you are trapped in a cabin in the woods and you see shape moving in the woods, don't go outside and look for it, that's what curtains were invented for.

3. DON'T SPLIT UP, nothing more to add to this really

4. I can out run it/fly it/swim it/drive it - no you can't you are the equivalent of a red jersey on TOS, accept it

5. Women wear more clothes, they always seem to be falling off!

6. If the weird guy in the last chance gas station has a banjo.. walk away!

feel free to add your own
If you can remain calm when all around you are panicking, you probably didn't understand the question