• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Make sure to join the Treks in Sci-Fi group on Facebook.

Main Menu

Star Trek Online

Started by Riskygodfather, November 16, 2005, 02:26:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KingIsaacLinksr

You make great points Just X.  You are right that arguing with me is for the most part, tiresome, and I don't deny that of myself.  *Bad King*.  However, I have to base my information off 2nd hand info, because I can't make $75 purchases if what I'm purchasing is a waste of $$.  However, I'm not going to argue on that point.  

You are right too, MMOs are repetitive.  And the term RPG is rather inaccurate unless your hardcore about it.  But mainstreaming has done away with "RPGing" altogether with games like this.  Even Eve doesn't have the greatest of support for this due mostly to the lack of an Avatar.  

However, what I was trying to ask was, why are people here continuing to play STO or do they think they see the end already?

(Next question would be, why didn't I ask this in the first place?  Idk I think up questions after I post, my bad :P)

King
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

Darkmolerman

The annoying thing is I could see them not finishing the game as much as they could because of it being Trek. I bet if it were an unknown sci-fi show most people would not like it as much.
"He can't act out of a cardboard box"- Rick Moyer

"I know the answer now sometimes the doctor must look at this planet and look at it in shame" -Gwen Cooper

Rico

One thing that has kept me playing WOW over the years is the ton (and I mean TON) of content they have and keep adding.  Even after playing for 5+ years there are areas I haven't explored in the game and quests not done.  I'm very much into those aspects of MMO's - exploring new areas, new quests, etc.  Content keeps me coming back for more.

X

I would like to counter the theory about it not feeling completed with a counter theory.

What if being a licensed property actually hampers the development process. I know that with some properties, you have to get preapproval for everything that you do.

There are many cases where things get held up while the creative teams wait for word to come down from on high. I know for a fact that Last Unicorn Games had to do that when they did the trek rpg.

Here is what I think. When you pick up the license to a property, you have so much time to do something with it before it reverts back to the holder. Cryptic came in when the license had been held for years and the game was years late.

Rather than a full period of development, they had to build on the back of the old software to get it out.

To this effect, you would more than likely have to focus on the early level and early content and hope people don't level fast while you go through the approval process of new content.

Since you are beholden to greater rules when working with a licensed property, I would say that the trek name might have been a hinderance.

Jen

A friend of Angela and I gave us a few trial keys to play STO. I don't plan (at this time) to buy a subscription to play this game. I like to play LOTS of different games and I can do that just fine with an XBL subscription. But, I want to review this game for Anomaly. So we're both going to give it a whirl for 10 days. Anyone want to meet us  in game to show us the ropes? We'll have to set up a time to do that obviously, as we're both really busy with family stuff this weekend.
Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

Blackride

Quote from: Jen on February 19, 2010, 07:00:37 AM
A friend of Angela and I gave us a few trial keys to play STO. I don't plan (at this time) to buy a subscription to play this game. I like to play LOTS of different games and I can do that just fine with an XBL subscription. But, I want to review this game for Anomaly. So we're both going to give it a whirl for 10 days. Anyone want to meet us  in game to show us the ropes? We'll have to set up a time to do that obviously, as we're both really busy with family stuff this weekend.

Let me know if you need assistance. I have about 100 hrs of playng time in game so far.
Ripley: Ash. Any suggestions from you or Mother?
Ash: No, we're still collating.
Ripley: [Laughing in disbelief] You're what? You're still collating? I find that hard to believe.

RickPeete

Chrystabel

I haven't played that much yet, but I'm game!  Let me know what time you plan on playing.  I'm Qapla'@Chrystabel.
Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra.

VaeVictis1701

I've been a bit confused with some of the things that have been said here and I'm hoping you guys can help me out.

I've hear people say that they are just repeating the patrol missions.  Is it your playing the same one over and over again or it is that all the missions are similar in that aspect?  I have yet to repeat a single mission during my time in STO and find that there are plenty to choose from.  Granted there are quite a few patrol this area type missions.

I've also heard people say that there isn't a lot of content in the game.  I have yet to run into this problem... outside of exploring type missions.  I've found the story line for the game to be quite intriguing and have enjoyed it thus far.  I like how there are ties to the older content and how they expand on the universe.  Granted I'm only Captain 1 so I have no idea if it comes to a stand still once you hit Rear Admiral.

If anyone out there wants help with anything in the game or just someone to party with feel free to shoot my an invite.  I'm @VaeVictis1701.  Does anyone know if the Treks in Sci-Fi fleet has been created yet?  If not I'm currently running a fleet called Fleet 47 which everyone here is welcome to join.  Look forward to seeing you guys online.

billybob476

I think people are saying that you repeat the patrol/exploration mission  (i.e. 'explore area x') however the missions that comprise those patrols are not repetitive.

Blackride

Yes, most of the game except for the main storyline missions are repeating with just a different planets or enemy. I know people say mosts MMOs are like that, this is a bit different.

You also have little to no way to actually explore planets as you are limited to the area you can walk which is very small.

I am also not sure what the "End Game" is here. If it's PVP I am going to be turned off by that....

Ripley: [Laughing in disbelief] You're what? You're still collating? I find that hard to believe.

VaeVictis1701

Quote from: Blackride on February 23, 2010, 09:15:32 AM
Yes, most of the game except for the main storyline missions are repeating with just a different planets or enemy. I know people say mosts MMOs are like that, this is a bit different.

You also have little to no way to actually explore planets as you are limited to the area you can walk which is very small.

I am also not sure what the "End Game" is here. If it's PVP I am going to be turned off by that....

I have to agree with the fact that there is next to no exploring the planets outside of what your are there for.  That is a bit upsetting.  The same things is also true for space exploration of systems.  The only difference is that it is stretched over a larger field.

If I am not mistaken the "End Game" is going to comprise of big Fleet Actions and Raid Asodes.  If they stick by to what they said... PVP shouldn't be a major part of the End Game aspect of the game.  They said they didn't want to force people to PVP as apart of the game.  So... here's hoping. 

Blackride

Quote from: VaeVictis1701 on February 23, 2010, 09:25:32 AM
Quote from: Blackride on February 23, 2010, 09:15:32 AM

I have to agree with the fact that there is next to no exploring the planets outside of what your are there for.  That is a bit upsetting.  The same things is also true for space exploration of systems.  The only difference is that it is stretched over a larger field.

If I am not mistaken the "End Game" is going to comprise of big Fleet Actions and Raid Asodes.  If they stick by to what they said... PVP shouldn't be a major part of the End Game aspect of the game.  They said they didn't want to force people to PVP as apart of the game.  So... here's hoping. 

Hopefully you and I can meet up in game. I am part of a RP Fleet currently since the forums does not have one yet.

VaeVictis1701

Quote from: Blackride on February 23, 2010, 10:26:43 AM
Hopefully you and I can meet up in game. I am part of a RP Fleet currently since the forums does not have one yet.

Looking forward to it.  There's only been a couple of instances where I got to party with good people.  Most just take advantage of the party system by sitting there doing nothing hoping that others will do the mission for them.  :( 

Rico

Well, I finally got a little time in on Trek online - well before the game crashed pretty hard - almost had to reset.  I was in an early space mission and just as I warped in to the second area I think, the game froze and crashed.  Kind of makes me sad.  Got this error (see pic below).  I'm running Vista, have a 8800 GT video, Creative SB X-Fi, etc.  Any thoughts??