• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Make sure to join the Treks in Sci-Fi group on Facebook.

Main Menu

Star Trek Online

Started by Riskygodfather, November 16, 2005, 02:26:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

X

I think that I'm done with sto for now. It's a fun game, but time has become too limiting. It wouldn't make sense to pick it up now. I'd play it a fourth of the time I use xbox live for 3 times the cost.

Blackride

Well the servers keep crashin this morning...ugggg!
Ripley: Ash. Any suggestions from you or Mother?
Ash: No, we're still collating.
Ripley: [Laughing in disbelief] You're what? You're still collating? I find that hard to believe.

billybob476

Really? I've only had one disconnect and I was able to log right back on.

Rico

Quote from: Blackride on January 30, 2010, 07:02:18 AM
Well the servers keep crashin this morning...ugggg!

Is that because the "head start" began today?

Blackride

It was up and down this morning, no biggie. It has been fine ever since.

BTW my name on the game is : Dayma

Please contact me on the game so we can be friends. Heaven knows.....I need em!
Ripley: [Laughing in disbelief] You're what? You're still collating? I find that hard to believe.

VaeVictis1701

The server went down... :(  having STO withdraw. 

Blackride

I am eager to read reviews and see what other people think of the game. I was not expecting that the game had sooo much space battles.

RickPeete

I am Dunsell in-game.  I am enjoying the game!  The space battles are fun (I am still getting used to navigating the ship better).  The away missions need a little work but I am sure that will come.

The music is well done.  The graphics are pretty good although not all my computers can run the game because they have older graphics cards.  My DELL Latitude D630 has an NVIDIA Qaudro NVS which is not supported.  But both my gaming desktops are good-to-go.

The intros by Nimoy are a nice touch, placing the game in the alternate universe of Trek.  Wonder if the game is prepared to follow story lines as new movies are released (i.e. will they get pre-release story lines so that they can release new content soon as a new movie is released).

Right now I am concerned about server stability because for every 30-45 minutes of game play, we lose at least 20 minutes to server outages.  It looks like this game is running on one server -- as hard as that is to believe.  I hope I am wrong on this but there is NO WAY this game will survive with only one server.

Either they set up zones/instances on separate servers or they eventually get to a point where characters 'exist' on specific servers like in most MMOs.

We should all find each other in-game and set up our own 'fleet'!

billybob476

The game is most decidedly not running one one server. It was already running on quite a bit of hardwre and whent he response to open beta was as big as it was Cryptic started rolling out more servers as thy were delivered.

RickPeete

I am glad to hear that.  It must be a cluster of servers that manage the environment.  I am sure that there are a number of server types involved (database, application, login, interface, etc) it worries me that the environment seems so sensitive.

Maybe they need multiple 'sets' of servers that can provide real-time system failover.  They need to do something.

KingIsaacLinksr

Quote from: RickPeete on January 30, 2010, 06:28:23 PM
I am Dunsell in-game.  I am enjoying the game!  The space battles are fun (I am still getting used to navigating the ship better).  The away missions need a little work but I am sure that will come.

The music is well done.  The graphics are pretty good although not all my computers can run the game because they have older graphics cards.  My DELL Latitude D630 has an NVIDIA Qaudro NVS which is not supported.  But both my gaming desktops are good-to-go.

The intros by Nimoy are a nice touch, placing the game in the alternate universe of Trek.  Wonder if the game is prepared to follow story lines as new movies are released (i.e. will they get pre-release story lines so that they can release new content soon as a new movie is released).

Right now I am concerned about server stability because for every 30-45 minutes of game play, we lose at least 20 minutes to server outages.  It looks like this game is running on one server -- as hard as that is to believe.  I hope I am wrong on this but there is NO WAY this game will survive with only one server.

Either they set up zones/instances on separate servers or they eventually get to a point where characters 'exist' on specific servers like in most MMOs.

Eve is based on a single shard or server as it were.  Its worked for them for 6 years now.  But the technology they got behind that is pretty impressive.  Something that Cryptic probably doesn't have.  

King
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

Blackride

btw to add friends you need their full desgination.

Mine is : Dayma@blackride

wraith1701

Quote from: billybob476 on January 26, 2010, 08:21:44 PM
I basically just hit tab which will target the closest enemy, also instead of 1, 2, 3 etc to fire weapons I use:

spacebar - fires all phasers that have the target in their firing arc

ctrl + spacebar - fires all torpedoes that have the target in their firing arc

The good thing about that is is you are broadside on an enemy hitting spacebar will fir both your front and rear phasers at once.

with regard to steering, I usually fly with the mouse holding down both buttons and work the camera around to make the ship do what I want, other times I use the keyboard, depends how I feel.  

Sweet; thanks man. I need to slow down & take time to review the tutorials. My last time out, I joined a team with 4 other players during the initial borg vs federation ship to ship action, and tried to learn as I went along. I'm going a little more slowly now that the game is live. :)

billybob476

Quote from: Kinglinksr on January 31, 2010, 01:19:07 AM
Quote from: RickPeete on January 30, 2010, 06:28:23 PM
I am Dunsell in-game.  I am enjoying the game!  The space battles are fun (I am still getting used to navigating the ship better).  The away missions need a little work but I am sure that will come.

The music is well done.  The graphics are pretty good although not all my computers can run the game because they have older graphics cards.  My DELL Latitude D630 has an NVIDIA Qaudro NVS which is not supported.  But both my gaming desktops are good-to-go.

The intros by Nimoy are a nice touch, placing the game in the alternate universe of Trek.  Wonder if the game is prepared to follow story lines as new movies are released (i.e. will they get pre-release story lines so that they can release new content soon as a new movie is released).

Right now I am concerned about server stability because for every 30-45 minutes of game play, we lose at least 20 minutes to server outages.  It looks like this game is running on one server -- as hard as that is to believe.  I hope I am wrong on this but there is NO WAY this game will survive with only one server.

Eve is based on a single shard or server as it were.  Its worked for them for 6 years now.  But the technology they got behind that is pretty impressive.  Something that Cryptic probably doesn't have. 

King

That one server that Eve runs on is most likely many servers. The thing that Eve does so well is make you not realize that's the case by not displaying loading screens. So far though, Eve is the only game where the whole universe is in a single instance.

billybob476

One of my WoW guildies put up a great video of the end f beta event. This gives you a pretty good idea of what gameplay looks like when it gets intense.

Star Trek Online End Beta Event: Borg Invasion