• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Make sure to join the Treks in Sci-Fi group on Facebook.

Main Menu

Star Trek Online

Started by Riskygodfather, November 16, 2005, 02:26:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darkmolerman

Quote from: billybob476 on January 18, 2010, 11:56:29 AM
Oe of my WoW guildies put up a nice shot of his ship:

http://forum.myextralife.com/showpost.php?p=426766&postcount=75

lol and with that pic I now want to play it :P  but from looking at space combat it looks like an RTS which I do not want in a game, I want it to be like flying mounts in WOW
"He can't act out of a cardboard box"- Rick Moyer

"I know the answer now sometimes the doctor must look at this planet and look at it in shame" -Gwen Cooper

X

Quote from: Darkmolerman on January 18, 2010, 07:30:58 PM

lol and with that pic I now want to play it :P  but from looking at space combat it looks like an RTS which I do not want in a game, I want it to be like flying mounts in WOW
I would hate that. Having as ship reduced to nothing more than a mount wouldn't work for Trek.

Darkmolerman

Quote from: Just X on January 18, 2010, 08:01:57 PM
Quote from: Darkmolerman on January 18, 2010, 07:30:58 PM

I would hate that. Having as ship reduced to nothing more than a mount wouldn't work for Trek.

I mean the controls and the view, where you will be 3rd person and you can bank left or right without the mouse. Oh and switch into the bridge

"I know the answer now sometimes the doctor must look at this planet and look at it in shame" -Gwen Cooper

Jobydrone

One thing I haven't seen any discussion about is how this game handles death.  Can someone elaborate?  How is it different if you die during an away mission as opposed to having your whole ship blow up in space combat?  Do you just respawn?  Is there exp loss?  Corpse run?  Items lost?
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

billybob476

At the moment it appears you just respawn, however I just read a dev interview saying you will experience 'some crew loss'.

Developer chat is here: http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=70875

Jobydrone

meh, can't read those forums from work :(  The more I hear about this game the more interested I am to play it.  Unfortunately it won't run on my laptop and I believe my next computer is going to be a Mac, so I guess I am going to be stuck with WoW until Cryptic ports this to Mac. I would love to be part of the Treks in Sci Fi fleet though!
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Feathers

Quote from: Jobydrone4of20 on January 19, 2010, 07:30:55 AM
The more I hear about this game the more interested I am to play it. 

I would love to be part of the Treks in Sci Fi fleet though!

Me too. The picture of the ship earlier in the thread did it for me. I want to fly one of those!

I'm not going to, though, as I doubt it would run on our laptop, I couldn't justify the ongoing costs and I don't want to get divorced.

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

billybob476

Q: What are the system requirements?
A: The minimum system requirements are:

* OS: Windows XP SP2 / Windows Vista / Windows 7 (32 or 64-bit)
    * CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 1.8 Ghz or AMD Athlon X2 3800+
    * Memory: 1GB RAM
    * Video: NVIDIA GeForce 7950 / ATI Radeon X1800 / Intel HD Graphics
    * Sound: DirectX 9.0c Compatible Soundcard
    * DirectX: Version 9.0c or Higher
    * HDD: 10GB Free Disk Space
    * Network: Internet Broadband Connection Required
    * Disc: 6X DVD-ROM

The recommended system specifications are:

* OS: Windows XP SP2 / Windows Vista / Windows 7 (32 or 64-bit)
    * CPU: Intel E8400 Core 2 Duo or AMD Athlon X2 5600+
    * Memory: 2GB RAM+
    * Video: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 / ATI Radeon HD 3850+
    * Sound: DirectX 9.0c Compatible Soundcard
    * DirectX: Version 9.0c or Higher
    * HDD: 10GB Free Disk Space
    * Network: Internet Broadband Connection Required
    * Disc: 6X DVD-ROM

Rico

Frankly, unless you have a high end, newer laptop you really shouldn't try playing newer games like this.  Most heavy gamers that I know don't game on a laptop.  They just are not up to it.  But, you can put together a standard 'box' system that's really nice and capable for $500 or so these days.

KingIsaacLinksr

Quote from: Rico on January 19, 2010, 10:07:24 AM
Frankly, unless you have a high end, newer laptop you really shouldn't try playing newer games like this.  Most heavy gamers that I know don't game on a laptop.  They just are not up to it.  But, you can put together a standard 'box' system that's really nice and capable for $500 or so these days.

This is the truth.  Laptops, even the gaming ones, simply can't handle the power that games demand.  Also, the cooling systems are rarely up to it.  Which is why I went desktop.  My own laptop no doubt suffered an early death due to this. 

King
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

Blackride

You really do not need a high end machine to play this game.
Ripley: Ash. Any suggestions from you or Mother?
Ash: No, we're still collating.
Ripley: [Laughing in disbelief] You're what? You're still collating? I find that hard to believe.

Darkmolerman

Yeah, Something tells me my Intel 2.5 dual core, 6 gigs of ram, and 4670 ATI graphics card can run it...

KingIsaacLinksr

Quote from: Darkmolerman on January 20, 2010, 03:14:25 PM
Yeah, Something tells me my Intel 2.5 dual core, 6 gigs of ram, and 4670 ATI graphics card can run it...

0_o and then some....

King

Darkmolerman

yeah, I built it as a Christmas present :) my cam broke so I might not be able to post pics. But it is an antec 300 case (the one rico built but without the windows and other doodads)

KingIsaacLinksr

Quote from: Darkmolerman on January 20, 2010, 03:20:22 PM
yeah, I built it as a Christmas present :) my cam broke so I might not be able to post pics. But it is an antec 300 case (the one rico built but without the windows and other doodads)

That's the exact case I used.  Its pure awesome imo.  I could have 8 GB in it right now but I'm lacking $$ so only 4GBs.  One day...

King