• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Don't forget to drop a review on iTunes for the podcast sometime or send a donation in for the show.

Main Menu

Star Trek Online

Started by Riskygodfather, November 16, 2005, 02:26:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billybob476

Funny someone in my WoW guild was commenting how a lot of people were complaining about how the servers are being patched a lot and there are some issues. Apparently people are complaining that they paid for this and it doesn't work.

It makes me laugh. People sign on to a BETA TEST and then get mad when their testing finds issues. They didn't pay for beta access, they paid for a game available on launch day, beta access is a perk and is entirely optional.

Still waiting for my key from that giveaway thing yesterday.

Darkmolerman

I am one of the complainers but only because it won't even let me play the game, win 7 64bit apparently has a "decompression" problem
"He can't act out of a cardboard box"- Rick Moyer

"I know the answer now sometimes the doctor must look at this planet and look at it in shame" -Gwen Cooper

X

Quote from: Darkmolerman on January 14, 2010, 10:54:16 AM
I am one of the complainers but only because it won't even let me play the game, win 7 64bit apparently has a "decompression" problem
Better to find out now while it's free than getting upset after paying for it.

Darkmolerman

Quote from: Just X on January 14, 2010, 11:04:32 AM
Better to find out now while it's free than getting upset after paying for it.

That is why I preordered it for the beta, I did not want to get a game and find out it sucks. But hard to play when all you can do is watch the loading screen freeze and crash...

"I know the answer now sometimes the doctor must look at this planet and look at it in shame" -Gwen Cooper

billybob476

Well then I'll have the same issue since I'm on Win7 64.

Darkmolerman

Well far as I know its just a beta issue, and the latest patch might have cleared it up

Rico

It's a bit scary to me that the game is less than a month away and can't even handle 64 bit Win 7.  I mean - really?

Blackride

Quote from: Rico on January 14, 2010, 09:54:27 AM
So - anyone have thoughts on the Beta yet?

The graphics are not that great to be honest when compared to today's games. You can tell that this game was in development for a bit as the engine they use must be older. The space areas look much better than the ground missions. The space battles are very clunky at this point, kinda feels like you are moving in slow mo. It's hard to explain until you try it your self. I would say the good stuff is the character creation, sound, and music.

There are bugs but it BETA so I totally expect that. For example sometimes when I run around as my human self, it's actually my ship! lol.

Overall it's your typical MMO with a Trek theme, not that I was expecting something different :). I also do not want to be to hard on a BETA as I did the same for SWG.
Ripley: Ash. Any suggestions from you or Mother?
Ash: No, we're still collating.
Ripley: [Laughing in disbelief] You're what? You're still collating? I find that hard to believe.

Blackride

BTW I am on XP 64 bit with no issues as posted above.

Also forgot to say that there is lots of loading as anytime you beam anywhere or go to sectors it loads. There are TONS of zones to load into. Some people may not care about that at all, but do not expect something like EQII where there was one open world with little loading.
Ripley: Ash. Any suggestions from you or Mother?
Ash: No, we're still collating.
Ripley: [Laughing in disbelief] You're what? You're still collating? I find that hard to believe.

billybob476

I got my beta key this morning, I had previously downloaded and installed. I applied my key, logged in and jsut took a glance at the character creation screen. I think I need to upgrade my video drivers as it says it doesn;t support anti-aliasing with my current-gen ATI crossfire setup (dual radeon 4850's).

I had no issues at all installing/launching under win7 64.

I'll create my character and play tonight

EDIT: Turns out the anti aliasing thing is a known issue with ATI cards that they are working on. 

Rico

Are there multiple Beta servers?  Where are you all playing?  List your characters too.

VaeVictis1701

For those out there that know you are going to be playing this game for a while Cryptic has released their pricing for yearly and lifetime subscriptions.  119.99 a year or 239.99 for lifetime.  With both of these you get 2 additional character slots and with the lifetime you get a playable Borg character.  The way they list it, it appears to be different from the Borg bridge officer that you get as one of the retail perks.  I believe that you get to play as a Borg character.  (but I could be wrong)  Either way... I excited for the STO experience to begin.   ;D

http://www.startrekonline.com/exclusive_specials

Darkmolerman

I want to get a borg but I don't have 240 dollars laying around :P that and I rather not start paying for a new MMO... it sucks when you stop playing and forget to stop paying. Although I did the math. The unlimited borg subscription means you need to play for 14 months if I like it as much as WOW then that would be no problem playing more then that

Darkmolerman

also the Borg perks are this:
Borg Nanites: +10% Health Regeneration
Description: Ground Trait. Constantly regenerates shields and health.

Efficient: +5 Starship Shield Efficiency, +5 Starship Engine Efficiency, +5 Starship Energy Weapon Efficiency, +5 Starship Auxiliary Systems Efficiency
Description: Space Trait. Provides a bonus to efficiency stats, improving the effectiveness of many of your power management abilities.

The Liberated Borg also has a unique optional trait.

Neural Blast: 30 second debuff. Drastically reduces run speed. Every 4 seconds, Neural Blast has a 40% chance to hold the target for 3 seconds.
Description: Activatable Ground Trait. Inject the target with neural toxins, which continually attempt to hold the target for the duration. Also reduces the target's movement speed.

VaeVictis1701

Quote from: Darkmolerman on January 15, 2010, 10:19:21 AM
I want to get a borg but I don't have 240 dollars laying around :P that and I rather not start paying for a new MMO... it sucks when you stop playing and forget to stop paying. Although I did the math. The unlimited borg subscription means you need to play for 14 months if I like it as much as WOW then that would be no problem playing more then that

I know the feeling.  I have played several MMO that I took a break from and forgot to cancel my subscription to it.  Nothing like looking at your bank statement at the end of the month and remembering to cancel it... but at that point it's like I've already paid for the next month... I might as well play it some.  I have a feeling that even if the game bombs I will still play it for the community aspect.