• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

The next podcast will be on Feb. 19th and will be a guest cast by Mark.

Main Menu

Star Trek Online

Started by Riskygodfather, November 16, 2005, 02:26:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackride

Quote from: StarTrekFanatic5 on August 03, 2008, 11:37:22 PM
I've never heard anyone so negative about something that is still a long way from being released.

You should try reading the 1up boards or other gaming sites :).

I will take a wait and see approach as I always do but I don't see anything wrong with dicussing what we may/may not like. I basically respect both your opinions and King's on this topic.

Ripley: Ash. Any suggestions from you or Mother?
Ash: No, we're still collating.
Ripley: [Laughing in disbelief] You're what? You're still collating? I find that hard to believe.

Rico

As a follower of computer gaming and especially MMO's I have a variety of views on this.  One thing you have to always keep in mind is these games vary and change a lot while they are being created.  But due to the internet and information everywhere we get to see little details sneak out very early.  Now things may change a lot by the time the final product comes out.  So I don't put much stock in early info you get.

Specifically on this project creating a "Star Trek" MMO is an even harder task than making the next movie.  They need to create a compelling game for both Trek fans and non-fans.  And one that will be fun and keep them playing month after month.  A very tough task.  I anxiously will wait to see what they come up with.

X

Quote from: Kinglinksr on August 03, 2008, 09:58:58 PM
I have to agree with Blackride.  Enough effing compromises.  Don't give out promises you cannot keep because it ticks me off and I WILL NOT get it.  We haven't had 1, count it ONE decent Star Trek game in many years.  I'm tired of compromises for the ST universe.  ENOUGH already.  I don't care about logistics but if you find out 1/2 way into pre-production that you can't do it then don't even bother finishing.  You've already ruined the game for everyone. 

I'll also agree with Jen.  Its a game.  But enough with these stupid half-assed games that companies release for Star Trek.  The best one I've seen yet is Star Trek Bridge Commander.  That's it.  Time enough to start releasing games that are good. 

King

I can see what you are saying, but Cryptic didn't make any promises what so ever. They picked up the property and are developing it how they think will work best.

Remember, this is a new game from a new company. While I like some of the things that the old company promised, I'm not going to get upset at a new company for doing things their way.

This is not Perpetual's Trek Online. It's Cryptic's. Anything that was promised from another company shouldn't even be considered as promises from Perpetual.

KingIsaacLinksr

Quote from: Just X on August 04, 2008, 08:57:42 AM
Quote from: Kinglinksr on August 03, 2008, 09:58:58 PM
I have to agree with Blackride.  Enough effing compromises.  Don't give out promises you cannot keep because it ticks me off and I WILL NOT get it.  We haven't had 1, count it ONE decent Star Trek game in many years.  I'm tired of compromises for the ST universe.  ENOUGH already.  I don't care about logistics but if you find out 1/2 way into pre-production that you can't do it then don't even bother finishing.  You've already ruined the game for everyone. 

I'll also agree with Jen.  Its a game.  But enough with these stupid half-assed games that companies release for Star Trek.  The best one I've seen yet is Star Trek Bridge Commander.  That's it.  Time enough to start releasing games that are good. 

King

I can see what you are saying, but Cryptic didn't make any promises what so ever. They picked up the property and are developing it how they think will work best.

Remember, this is a new game from a new company. While I like some of the things that the old company promised, I'm not going to get upset at a new company for doing things their way.

This is not Perpetual's Trek Online. It's Cryptic's. Anything that was promised from another company shouldn't even be considered as promises from Perpetual.

Ok, you got me there.  Still, when you pick up a game like that, I feel you should at least attempt to do what the previous company/person was trying to do.  In this case, they deviated quite a bit.  At least in my opinion. 

Oh well, we'll see what happens.  The future is never certain.

King
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

Jen

Maybe that's part of the reason why Perpetual didn't finish... Maybe they needed to do things in steps and they were trying to do the whole enchilada right off the bat.
Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

KingIsaacLinksr

Yes, I know I've been pretty nasty/negative about this latest news, but its mostly bitter disappointment.  I'd like to see a good Star Trek game, and had high hopes that ST Online would fill that void.  Maybe I was too hopeful.  But to be honest, when was the last time you were excited for a video game of Star Trek?  (Before STO)

King

Jen

Wait till it comes out, then give it a test drive. Might prove to be just what you wanted. ;)
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

KingIsaacLinksr

Quote from: Jen on August 04, 2008, 10:41:38 AM
Wait till it comes out, then give it a test drive. Might prove to be just what you wanted. ;)

Can't do much else lol.  ;) 

But I will.  Thank goodness for a mind full of patience.  I would go nuts otherwise. 

King

Blackride

I think one of the major problems facing MMOs today is WoW. If a new MMO comes out and is not the WoW killer in the first couple of months then it is in trouble. Yes, some games will get a small spattering of support but the longevity of the game may be at risk. It's would appear to me that if an MMO is not released full baked it will loose people.

This post is not really about STO as it is about MMOs in general. I personally sick of WoW and I keep waiting for the WoW killer app to come out, and it hasn't. I am keeping my fingers crosed for future games but nothing looks promising enough to be that game yet :(
Ripley: [Laughing in disbelief] You're what? You're still collating? I find that hard to believe.

Jen

Do you still play WOW Blackride or are you on "break"?  ;)
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

Blackride

Quote from: Jen on August 04, 2008, 07:23:45 PM
Do you still play WOW Blackride or are you on "break"?  ;)

No, I played it for about 6 - 8 months after years on DAOC and EQ II, but I could never really get into it. My guild is there still but it just never captured me.

KingIsaacLinksr

Quote from: Blackride on August 04, 2008, 02:32:35 PM
I think one of the major problems facing MMOs today is WoW. If a new MMO comes out and is not the WoW killer in the first couple of months then it is in trouble. Yes, some games will get a small spattering of support but the longevity of the game may be at risk. It's would appear to me that if an MMO is not released full baked it will loose people.

This post is not really about STO as it is about MMOs in general. I personally sick of WoW and I keep waiting for the WoW killer app to come out, and it hasn't. I am keeping my fingers crosed for future games but nothing looks promising enough to be that game yet :(

Sadly, I fear the only game that can kill Wow is one that you can solo all by yourself with no help.  Wow has done that now and is going very quickly to making the entire game soloable.  Which imo has killed the fun with it.  With Eve Online, you NEED help in order to be successful.  Also, its a long-term game which also seems to keep Wow players from playing it.  It seems, that the only way to kill Wow is to have instant reward, no risk, and solo gameplay......which is so wrong it hurts. 

King

Jen

Today is the day they are going to reveal game play footage. There's a link on the STO site where you can see the announcement live on the web cam at 1:30 pm PST 

http://www-waa-akam.thomson-webcast.net/us/dispatching/?event_id=ef804b5c6581bb453902e96f13b91a1e&portal_id=d9882584be03673749d664f440208ab2
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

Rico

Yep - they are showing it at the Trek con in Vegas.  Looking forward to seeing some real footage.

Rico

Live event - in progress.....