• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Don't forget to drop a review on iTunes for the podcast sometime or send a donation in for the show.

Main Menu

Star Trek : The Exhibition (formly known as The Tour)

Started by Geekyfanboy, December 05, 2007, 11:41:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimkirk

I was in San Diego for the Exhibition and thought it was awesome. I understand there are two or more versions of the Exhibition. This one featured the full bridge of TOS (Mirror Universe version), a mockup of the TNG corridor, Picard's quarters, TNG transporter, numerous costumes and props, and a timeline exhibit.. The other version could be the one in Detroit will feature a full mockup of the TNG bridge instead of the TOS .. can anyone verify.. I'm in Northern California, so I may catch it again in SF..

Rico

Well hello - and welcome.  There are two current versions of the Exhibit.  From what I know one is larger and one slightly smaller.  The main larger one is due in Detroit in mid. February.  Since that is local to me I will be going and once I see it I can pass along what it includes.  Still about a month away from starting here.

feek61

I think the TOS bridge is the Detroit verson which will be traveling up north and the TNG is goint to I think Texas which will be the TNG version.  I read that a while back someplace because I remember being disappointed that I wouldn't get to see the TOS bridge.

I hope I'm wrong, lol

Bryancd

We have the TNG bridge currently here in Phoenix, so that would make sense.

Rico

I certainly would love to see both setup's in person, but of course for me the TOS bridge is my baby!

billybob476

Quote from: Rico on January 20, 2009, 05:01:10 AM
I certainly would love to see both setup's in person, but of course for me the TOS bridge is my baby!

No bloody A, B, C or D!

Rico

Bryancd

Although I would have preferred the TOS set, I have to say the TNG mock up was very cool and I was there during the week and it was empty, so I could just sit in all the chairs and hang out! The command chair is cool but Data's station was sweet!

billybob476

A DS9 Ops setup would be cool, but I really like DS9.

sheldor

They do not live in their mothers' basements

Most, in fact, have basements of their own.

One is a neurosurgical nurse, another an administrative assistant and another a parts assembler. They happen to constitute a part of metro Detroit's most avid "Star Trek" fan base. The Dearborn-based group calls itself the USS Intrepid NCC-1730.

An added layer of buzz pervaded the group earlier this month as it discussed the impending opening of "Star Trek: The Exhibition" at the Detroit Science Center on Saturday, the first Midwest stop for the exhibit, which premiered last summer in California.

"We were quite shocked it was coming so soon to Detroit," said Jan Pawlik of Westland, the Henry Ford Hospital neurosurgical nurse who serves as the group's chief of security (nearly all fan club members have officer titles or crew member designations). "We weren't expecting it until at least September."

The USS Intrepid, which is one of hundreds of clubs across the nation dedicated to "Star Trek," boasts about 120 members and represents the hordes of enthusiastic "Star Trek" fans in metro Detroit whose attraction to the series is lifelong.

For 21 years, they have been drawn together by their appreciation of how "Star Trek" portrays the future and by their admiration of Dr. McCoy, Capt. Kirk and Mr. Spock.

"That's like the holy trinity for us!" said their captain, Anthony Lesnick of Dearborn, as a dozen people gathered around a conference table at the Ford Community and Performing Arts Center in Dearborn earlier this month for one of their regular USS Intrepid meetings.

The members spent a portion of their meeting discussing the exhibit and how they might volunteer for it by visiting in their medical and command section uniforms.

"We need you to bring honor to Starfleet," said Debra Shoultz of Troy, chief science officer for the club, reading from a Science Center e-mail and drawing chuckles.

Science Center officials say they have been receiving a constant flow of calls from fans since the Free Press broke the news of the impending exhibit in December, including rabid Klingon admirers who want to check out the exhibit (dressed in their warrior costumes) from states such as Illinois and countries as far away as Australia.

Todd Slisher, vice president of science programs at the Science Center, said a major reason why the center wanted the exhibit is the "Star Trek" series' "history of having a very positive view of the future and of technology in that future."

Added Slisher: "I mean, 'Star Trek' is just so cool!"

Slisher anticipates about 150,000 visitors for the duration of the exhibit, which will run through Sept. 7 and, officials hope, capitalize on any interest piqued by the J.J. Abrams-directed "Star Trek" film to be released in May.

Premier Exhibitions, which organized the exhibit, used several set and graphic designers from the "Star Trek" TV series and films to give an authentic feel to re-creations of key scenes, such as the bridge of the USS Enterprise, a transporter, a starship saucer corridor and Capt. Jean-Luc Picard's ready room.

Fans like Pawlik say they are eager to inspect some of the exhibition's props and memorabilia, like the model of the USS Enterprise NCC-1701D, which was filmed over and over for "Star Trek: The Next Generation."

Even more, they would like people to broaden their perception of "Star Trek" from a nerdy obsession with tricorders, communicators and Klingons to a perspective -- especially in this rough economic environment -- in which all ages and ethnicities can work toward a future free from homelessness, disease and poverty.

"What's wrong with thinking ahead to no homelessness and no poverty?" Lesnick said. "We can't make the whole world a better place, but we are working to do it for our little corner."

The group has gone after members' ideals with several 24-hour Trek-a-Thon fund-raisers since its formation in 1988. Together, the Trek-a-Thons have netted $30,000 for the Penrickton Center for Blind Children in Taylor.

Each year, the group holds a Taste of Trek, where spaghetti becomes the Klingon delicacy ga'ah and oatmeal-chocolate-chip-cornflake treats become Horta cookies. The USS Intrepid also holds an annual All-Galaxy Federation Invitational Bowling Tournament where participants break into teams of "Star Trek" races, pitting Klingons against Romulans and Cardassians against Vulcans.

They know their giddiness over Mr. Spock PEZ dispensers and Klingon bat'leths sets them apart, but as Cheryl Buchanczenko said, "we like being different" and "they accept me." Buchanczenko of Woodhaven, a group yeoman, met her husband, Orest Buchanczenko, through the group.

The Buchanczenkos are one of at least a half-dozen love matches within the group. Pawlik, the chief of security, just got engaged to Armando Flores, the group's first officer. Lesnick, the group's captain, is married to Wendy Lesnick, the engineering chief. They have a 2-year-old son, Karol, who already owns a reptilian baby Gorn outfit.

"I've not only kissed a girl," said Lesnick, referring to his role in breaking the closeted, asexual stereotype of Trekkies, "but look!" he said, grinning and pointing to his bustling toddler.

Detroit Free Press - 2/12

Jen

That's a great article! I love the last sentence. :D
Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

Rico

More info on the Detroit exhibit:

Expect to see at the engagement in Detroit:

A detailed recreation of the Original Series USS Enterprise bridge (where you can get your photo taken superimposed with images of the TOS cast) [chair and nav console are screen-used from one of the DS9 or TNG episodes that showed the TOS era bridge]

Recreations of sets from Next Generation, including Captain Picard's quarters and command chair, and Transporter room (another photo opportunity)

Recreation of The Guardian of Forever

Motion simulator rides, featuring a new movie with the voice of Michael Dorn (Worf)

Ten genuine filming miniature models including a 10-foot long Enterprise D, a TMP travel pod and a TNG Klingon attack cruiser

Over a dozen genuine costumes, including hero costumes from all five Trek captains (Kirk, Picard, Sisko, Janeway, and Archer), along with more TOS consumes from the 60s, a 7 of 9 catsuit and more

A large collection of genuine screen used props, including a photon torpedo

Genuine Trek set pieces, including a Klingon command chair and a USS Enterprise D Captain's chair

This 'engagement' of The Exhibition is the same one that opened in San Diego last summer, the second engagement is still at the Arizona Science Center in Phoenix. The two traveling 'engagements' of ST: The Exhibition evolved from ST: The Tour which never got past its first stop at the Queen Mary a year ago.

more here:
http://trekmovie.com/2009/02/12/star-trek-the-exhibition-beams-into-detroit-this-weekend/#comment-1521051

Geekyfanboy

STAR TREK EXHIBIT HITS THE EAST COAST!!!!

The Star Trek Exhibit will be showing at the Franklin Instutute in Philadelphia PA from May 16th, 2009 thru September 20, 2009.

This is the one that started on the West coast and has full scale replicas of the TOS and TNG bridges, all sorts of props and other Trek goodies.

More Details

http://www2.fi.edu/startrek/

Rico

They have a new website now.  To learn more about the Exhibition, go here:  http://www.startrekexhibition.com/

(I still need to go see this!)

Feathers

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.