• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

The next podcast will be on Feb. 19th and will be a guest cast by Mark.

Main Menu

Star Wars on Blu-Ray

Started by Geekyfanboy, April 17, 2010, 10:12:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geekyfanboy

Saw Tweets earlier today.. but here is a snippet from The Digital Bits website http://thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents

This is a rare Saturday post with some important breaking news: Lucasfilm's Steve Sansweet has reportedly confirmed, during a panel today at the C2E2 comic convention in Chicago, that the company is now working on a Blu-ray Disc box set of all six Star Wars  films loaded with extras, for release "in the not too distant future." We're awaiting any kind of official statement from Lucasfilm - one MAY appear on Star Wars.com in the coming days. Nonetheless, MANY people who were in the panel began Tweeting reports of the news almost the moment the words left Sansweet's mouth. IGN has also reported the news with an actual quote from Sansweet: "We have been at work for a couple of years working on - I won't call it the Ultimate Set because we keep finding stuff - but, a very full set of all six movies on Blu-ray with lots of extra material. We're finding all kinds of scenes from dailies that have never been seen before. Beyond all of those things that you know about... there are some real treasures." There is no other official information at this time, but we'll post additional details when and if they come in. HOWEVER...

Consider this Rumor Mill-worthy, but our own industry sources have actually been checking in with us in recent weeks on this very subject. Our latest information is that Lucasfilm tentatively plans the official Blu-ray release to happen in October 2011. Now, we've been hearing reports like this on and off for years, and until now little has come of it. So we've been waiting to say something here on The Bits until we had a hint of more official confirmation. But now that Sansweet has begun talking about the release, we feel more comfortable reporting on the word from our sources. Plans could obviously change and again, even though Sansweet has hinted that it's coming, none of this constitutes an official announcement. But if current plans remain unchanged, our sources say you'll be enjoying The Force in 1080p next October.

Again, we'll post additional updates as they come in. Stay tuned...

Rico

Awesome!  Steve has hinted at this before, but this sounds more solid - finally.

wraith1701

Incredible news!!! This is the release that will finally get me to buy a blu ray player!

Jobydrone

Yeah this would be the first box set of Blu Rays I would purchase.  Now just waiting for the uproar over the different versions of the films etc etc.  I'd imagine with the disc space available on those Blu Rays they could very easily fit the special edition, directors cut, and the theatrical release all on one disc.  Chances that this happens?  Unlikely.  I'll buy em tho.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Rico

On a related note, I saw a Blu-Ray player in Walmart over the weekend for $79!

Dangelus

Great! And this set we will finally see the scene as it was originally intended:

that it was actually Jar Jar Binks hiding under the table that shoots Greedo! ;)

Rico

"Meeessssaaaa no gonna shoot first, Hannyy!"

billybob476

This is interesting news. However I'm wondering what the price on a premium 6 blu ray set will be!

Rico

Quote from: billybob476 on April 19, 2010, 07:05:53 AM
This is interesting news. However I'm wondering what the price on a premium 6 blu ray set will be!

I'm guessing there will be at least a couple set versions, but the base Blu-Ray set I think with discounts at places could still hit maybe $50-60.  Prices are dropping quite a bit on these lately.

Jobydrone

Quote from: Rico on April 19, 2010, 08:53:58 AM
I'm guessing there will be at least a couple set versions, but the base Blu-Ray set I think with discounts at places could still hit maybe $50-60.  Prices are dropping quite a bit on these lately.
I'd be floored if it was that low.  My guess would be closer to $100 retail, if not more.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Rico

Quote from: Jobydrone4of20 on April 19, 2010, 10:25:40 AM
I'm guessing there will be at least a couple set versions, but the base Blu-Ray set I think with discounts at places could still hit maybe $50-60.  Prices are dropping quite a bit on these lately.
I'd be floored if it was that low.  My guess would be closer to $100 retail, if not more.

I'm projecting both pricing at the end of the year plus the inevitable, deluxe Blu-Ray set with store exclusives.  If the base set is $100, how much will the deluxe set be with little book and tiny Jarr-Jarr figure?  ;)

billybob476

Quote from: Rico on April 19, 2010, 11:33:23 AM
Quote from: Jobydrone4of20 on April 19, 2010, 10:25:40 AM
I'd be floored if it was that low.  My guess would be closer to $100 retail, if not more.

I'm projecting both pricing at the end of the year plus the inevitable, deluxe Blu-Ray set with store exclusives.  If the base set is $100, how much will the deluxe set be with little book and tiny Jarr-Jarr figure?  ;)

250, and people will pay it. ;)

Jobydrone

They should make a Stretch Armstrong style Jar-Jar so people can torture that dude.

Rico

Well, Uncle George's bank account must have dipped to below 9 figures.  ;)

Geekyfanboy

Star Wars: The Complete Saga Coming to Blu-ray in September
Source: Lucasfilm
January 6, 2011

Lucasfilm has announced that "Star Wars: The Complete Saga" will be available on Blu-ray this September. You can already pre-order the three different sets it will be available in using the links below! You can also watch a trailer for the release here.

The most anticipated Blu-ray release ever -- the Star Wars Saga -- emerges from light speed this September 2011. For the first time, all six of George Lucas' epic films (Episodes I-VI) are united in one complete set. Fans worldwide are able to pre-order now with online retailers.

Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment will release Star Wars in three distinct sets to meet the needs of every Star Wars fan:

* Star Wars: The Complete Saga on Blu-ray (9-disc Set includes all six films)
* Star Wars: Prequel Blu-ray Trilogy (3-disc set includes Episodes I-III)
* Star Wars: Original Blu-ray Trilogy (3-disc set includes Episodes IV-VI)

Star Wars: The Complete Saga on Blu-ray will feature all six live-action Star Wars feature films utilizing the highest possible picture and audio presentation, along with three additional discs and more than 30 hours of extensive special features including never-before-seen deleted and alternate scenes, an exploration of the exclusive Star Wars archives, and much more.

Star Wars: The Complete Saga on Blu-ray will be available for $139.99 US/$179.99 CAN and the Star Wars: Trilogy Sets for $69.99 US/89.99 CAN. Pricing for each set will vary by international territory.

Flanked by a legion of his finest Imperial stormtroopers, Darth Vader himself joined Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment President Mike Dunn at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) to announce the release, vowing "The forces of the Empire will be at your disposal to assure the success of this endeavor."

"The Star Wars Saga is the most anticipated Blu-ray collection since the launch of the high-def format," Dunn said. "The epic franchise pioneered sound and visual presentation in theaters and is perfectly suited to do it again in the home, with a viewing experience only possible with Blu-ray."

"With all six episodes available for the first time in one collection, this is a great way for families and home audiences to experience the complete Saga from start to finish," said Doug Yates, Vice President of Marketing, Online, Distribution, Lucasfilm Ltd. "And with the quality of high-definition, Blu-ray provides the most immersive home experience possible."

"The Star Wars franchise has been the most anticipated Blu-ray release by Amazon's customers," said Bill Carr, Vice President of Music and Video at Amazon.com. "We think that Star Wars will be incredibly popular with our customers, and we expect pre-orders to be very strong."

Read more: Star Wars: The Complete Saga Coming to Blu-ray in September - ComingSoon.net http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=73057#ixzz1AHu45bCd