• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

The next podcast will be on Feb. 19th and will be a guest cast by Mark.

Main Menu

So, what do we all do for a living?!

Started by Bryancd, November 06, 2006, 11:37:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryancd

As we are all intimately familiar with each others fanatsy lives, what do you do in the real world? I'll start:
My fancy title is Vice President-Investments at UBS Financial Services. I have been a financial advisor for 9 years now, started my career in NYC, right down on Wall Street.

Geekyfanboy

Very cool Bryan.

I work in the Entertainment Industry. Started as a Production Assistant and worked by way up to Post Production Supervisor. I'm currently working on the Sunset Gower Studio for a new reality show called "Curl Girls" which will premiere next summer. You can check out the other stuff I have worked on here.. http://imdb.com/name/nm0594165/

Rico

Cool stuff guys.  As you know from my other posts, I'm a chemist.  Had a few different positions over the years, started out in teaching.  Oh, I had one other thought on this thread.  Maybe post your dream job too - unless you are doing it.  Mine of course would be to create and work on the next TREK series.  Come on CBS or JJ - call me, I'm in the book!  :)

Geekyfanboy

Well I'm pretty much doing my dream job but of course I would love to be Post Production Supervisor on a big Network TV show or a really cool Sci Fi TV show, but I still have time.  :biggrin

Bryancd

Dream job? Professional Triathlete ....if only there was any money in it, which there is not :).

wso32

Im a CPA for an international accounting firm.  I am currently working in Paris on a temporary international assignment.  Being a CPA is not the most exciting carrer but it has given me the opportunity to live and work in Paris for a year and a half so its not all boring.

Darth Gaos

I am a Civil Engineering Designer/Draftsman for a small startup engineering firm.  We design the site, grading and utility layouts for residential and small (hopefully soon - Large) commercial projects.  As an aside we also design on-site septic systems for individual residential homes.  I love doing it.

My dream job would probably be a play-by-play guy for a major league baseball or professional hockey organIzation (ie the Philadelphia Flyers).
I think it was Socrates who spoke the immortal words:  I drank WHAT?

Jen

You guys are a bunch of smarty-pants! ;)

I had to alter my original post (I mentioned the name of my company). I'm still plugging it, which I'm sure is ok, but I was a little concerned that they might not like my mentioning it in a forum... So If any of my fellow marketing co-workers have found this post through Google Alerts, you did not see me wearing Spock ears (/Jedi mind trick).  ;D  I did add a link below if you really want to see where I work...Its really no big deal, I'm probably just being parnoid. But I do want you all to come visit our park, so I added a link with a list of top water parks (were listed as number one).

I work as a graphic designer, within the corporate marketing department, at an award winning water park. I am one of two designers, in a five member marketing team. I am designer or Jedi Knight and my boss is the Art Director or Jedi Master. We create ads, billboards, park signage, retail merchandise anything graphical the corporation or parks happen to need.

One of our water parks, has won the title "America’s Best Water park" for 9 Years in a Row. It has received top awards in the World’s Best Water park, World’s Best Water park Landscaping and the World’s Best Water park Ride categories during the 2006 Golden Ticket Award ceremony at Holiday World amusement park. Nicknamed the “Academy Awards of the Amusement Park Industry,” the Golden Ticket Awards are presented annually by Amusement Today. The winners are determined by the results of an international survey conducted among hundreds of well-traveled enthusiasts and amusement park aficionados.

Oh, and this is my dream job. ::)

http://travel.discovery.com/fansites/worldsbest/waterpark/waterpark.html   
Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

Darth Gaos

WOW...I have the sudden urge to visit New Braunfels, Texas.

One question....just where in H-E-Double hockey sticks IS New Braunfels, Texas???  ;)
I think it was Socrates who spoke the immortal words:  I drank WHAT?

Jen

Ah, its tucked snuggly between Austin and San Antonio in the IH 35 corridorâ€"the perfect location for vacationers.  ;)
But we also have a park in Galveston (near Houston) and one in South Padre (on the Texas/Mexico boarder). The park in Galveston is a year-round water park. It sports a convertable covering over our heated attractions. Its the first of its kind. Come on in, the water's great! ;D

That's all I've go to say 'bout that... 
Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

jedijeff

I work for IBM doing IT/System Administration for external clients. I support mostly web based apps, and a little bit of email. Work mostly with Microsoft and Lotus products, as well as some other Third party type applications. I am basically the person who handles the programs no one else wants to.

Jobydrone

I'm a social worker for a hospital in Philadelphia, my clients are adults with mental health/mental retardation that live in group homes or institutions in or around Philly.  My dream job would be singer/songwriter.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Rico

Very neat stuff folks.  Hey jedijeff - we use Lotus Notes (UGH!) via an IBM server where I work and it keeps having many problems.  Our IT person (I know more about computers than she does) comes in every morning early to reset the thing.  I think she has had an IBM tech in once but it still is messed up.  Any ideas?

jedijeff

Hi Rico, sounds like it could be a lot of things. Your IT person should probably schedule the server to reboot in the morning, to save herself having to come in early in the morning. Past that, if it is happening in the evenings, maybe an issue with backups or other scheduled tasks happening in the evening. Just a guess though.

RichardMEL

Well I feel a bit overawed by the talent pool in this groiup :) Great stuff guys n gals...

As for me, I'm a humble UNIX Systems Administrator for a state government run cultural institution (which basically means very little happens, and if things screw up, it's not like people can't get into their bank accounts or something!). Luckily we've had very few disasters (I could say that was due to my good work, but I'll be modest and say it is a team effort!) :)

I also have to suffer with Lotus Notes in my workplace. I much prefer mutt myself! LOL. Yes, I've been a nerd for so long I was tinkering before browsers, GUI's and the like were around....

dream job? mmmm miss universe judge.. no just kidding! I think it would be cool to work on a sci-fi show, in like art direction or something.. coming up with cool props and stuff. Either that or work in marketing for my Football Club! :D