• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Podcast # 893 is now up covering TV Themes

Main Menu

Will these jobs disappear in 2012?

Started by Rico, January 09, 2012, 08:50:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rico

Interesting article.  While I don't think the jobs they list will actually all go away, they are certainly in a decline.  I was not too shocked to see chemist made the list.  :(

http://www.cbsnews.com/8334-505143_162-57343788/will-these-10-jobs-disappear-in-2012/?tag=contentMain;contentBody

QuadShot

I predict the biggest job that will go away in 2012 is the "write articles and state what jobs will go away" reporter! :)

Rico

Quote from: QuadShot on January 09, 2012, 09:13:30 AM
I predict the biggest job that will go away in 2012 is the "write articles and state what jobs will go away" reporter! :)

LOL!  Journalist I think is on the list.  Or reporter - something like that.

KingIsaacLinksr

Quote from: Rico on January 09, 2012, 03:08:49 PM
Quote from: QuadShot on January 09, 2012, 09:13:30 AM

LOL!  Journalist I think is on the list.  Or reporter - something like that.

Newspaper journalist, which is pretty darn accurate considering how badly that industry is falling apart.  Bloggers are the new age reporters these days.

King
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

turtlesrock

Bryancd

Quote from: KingIsaacLinksr on January 09, 2012, 03:14:39 PM
Bloggers are the new age reporters these days.

That I find VERY disturbing and don't agree at all.

X

Quote from: Bryancd on January 10, 2012, 05:07:30 AM

Gotta agree with you here. I don't agree and I find it disturbing that people can think this. Reporting the news is presenting the facts without coloring it with your own opinions and neutrality is something that very few blogger have these days.

Jobydrone

Any idiot with a iPhone and a free Google account can't just call themselves a reporter yet.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Bryancd

Quote from: Jobydrone on January 10, 2012, 06:48:00 AM
Any idiot with a iPhone and a free Google account can't just call themselves a reporter yet.

:roflmao

Rico

Here's an interesting thing.  The big CES show allows most people with a regular Tech Blog, Podcast, etc. to get a Press Pass.  Just as I get passes to SF cons.  Now, it doesn't matter what you call this type of coverage or reporting, it is driving out a lot of mainstream media.  Some "Bloggers" are really good, many are not.  But with "instant news coverage" it's very hard to compete in the old way.  I see a future where more in depth coverage of things, stories and so on will still happen, but the bulk of day-to-day news will fall more into the public's hands.

Jobydrone

Sobering article, but one that could really be taken with more than a few grains of salt.  One I certainly agree with is travel agent...I can't believe there's a single commercially viable travel agency out there in today's age.  What do they do that you can't do in five minutes by yourself on the web?  Why would anybody trust that an agent is getting you the best price when you can easily figure that out on your own?
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Rico

I think a travel agent or person still would be helpful with large trips and groups.  Like school trips, corporate travel, a group cruise, etc.  For the individual it's not needed.

Bryancd

At least Financial Advisor wasn't in the list! :)

KingIsaacLinksr

Quote from: X on January 10, 2012, 05:27:25 AM
Quote from: Bryancd on January 10, 2012, 05:07:30 AM

Gotta agree with you here. I don't agree and I find it disturbing that people can think this. Reporting the news is presenting the facts without coloring it with your own opinions and neutrality is something that very few blogger have these days.

Because newspapers these days are so very neutral....

Ok, I'll grant the lack of neutrality part, but I have yet to find a truly neutral reporter/newspaper agency.  Each has their own agenda unless you can point me at someone who doesn't. 

King
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

jedijeff

Some days it feels like my Job is going to be extinct.
I can see where less and less Travel Agents would be needed, as I think for a lot of people can just book their Vacations online, and get some pretty good prices, and a lot of packages. Probably still need some for some more specialized needs, but even for our Corporate travel, it is mostly automated. A few years back, my Wife and I went on a trip to Las Vegas traveling from Canada. I went to a Travel Agent to book the trip, as my wife was not a citizen at the time, as I had some questions regarding Visa's and such. Was a bit disappointed when they were pretty clueless on the whole thing.