• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Make sure to join the Treks in Sci-Fi group on Facebook.

Main Menu

Big Bang Theory

Started by Geekyfanboy, September 25, 2007, 08:59:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jobydrone

Quote from: moyer777 on September 27, 2010, 08:37:24 AM
yeah, Amy and I turned it off with Catherine in the room, it was a bit over the edge like that.  It always has a certain element of that in it, but most of the time it's not as much. 
I've never really noticed that until I was watching it with my six year old in the room!  Her ears kept perking up every time the word sex or penis was mentioned until I decided enough was enough.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

sheldor

I thought when it moved back to pre-9pm it was to backoff on the more edgy topics.  Guess there is no more family hour these days.

Rico

I think the show always has had that slight edge.  I mean the very first episode of the series had the guys making a sperm donation and jokes about it in the first minutes of the series.  This isn't a show for real little ones, but anyone from about 12 and up easily should be fine with it.  I love the show, just like I enjoy many things that are not meant for little kids.  It's an age old discussion but that's what parents and the off switch are for.

moyer777

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com

Jobydrone

Just to be clear, my six year old wasnt watching she was just in the room.  She does not watch programming meant for adults (yet)
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Rico

Quote from: Jobydrone4of20 on September 27, 2010, 05:40:17 PM
Just to be clear, my six year old wasnt watching she was just in the room.  She does not watch programming meant for adults (yet)

Ahh, I remember those early years with my boys.  I had to watch a lot of TV/movies later at night and off in other rooms when they were young.

Feathers

Yes, if the TV is on, ours will watch it almost regardless of the content. They do have a boredom threshold that gets hit eventually but it seems to take a surprisingly long time with some content.

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

Geekyfanboy

I guess it depends on the parents and maturity of the kid. I don't understand why sex and masturbation is such a taboo.. I mean everyone does it, it's better that the kids discuss it with their parents about it then friends.

X

Quote from: Geekyfanboy on September 28, 2010, 01:16:21 PM
I guess it depends on the parents and maturity of the kid. I don't understand why sex and masturbation is such a taboo.. I mean everyone does it, it's better that the kids discuss it with their parents about it then friends.
I totally agree with ya there. As long as the family isn't sitting around watching soft/hard core, I don't see an issue in my house. I think it's funny that many families will censor talk of sex hundreds of times faster than graphic violence. Granted, I'm not the most religious person on the board, but I would think that it should be the reverse. Murder is in the top ten of stuff not to do, but seems to be more palatable to western senses.

ori-STUDFARM

I find that most of the stuff goes over my kids heads or that occasionally they have already picked up on it from the school playground. Either way, I try not to draw attention to some of the more questionable scenes and they never seem overly curious.

KingIsaacLinksr

idk, if you watch shows like Grey's Anatomy or the one after it, it's one sex scene after another.  I mean, cmon...

But yeah, we do censor sexuality a lot quicker than violence.  It is amusing to myself as well.

King
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

X

Quote from: Kingisaaclinksr on October 02, 2010, 07:14:09 PM
idk, if you watch shows like Grey's Anatomy or the one after it, it's one sex scene after another.  I mean, cmon...

But yeah, we do censor sexuality a lot quicker than violence.  It is amusing to myself as well.

King
Are we watching the same show? There is far more gore in Grey's than sex IMHO. And let's not forget about the violence that show has. People exploding into pink mist, bullets in the head, executions, and the list goes on.

Geekyfanboy

Now to bring this back around to Big Bang Theory.. really enjoyed this weeks episode.. loved robot Sheldon. Lots of funny stuff.

Rico

Quote from: Geekyfanboy on October 02, 2010, 09:01:49 PM
Now to bring this back around to Big Bang Theory.. really enjoyed this weeks episode.. loved robot Sheldon. Lots of funny stuff.

Yep - fun episode.  Cool for us computer geeks to see The Woz in the episode too.

moyer777

I really, really enjoyed this last episode.  I laughed so hard at Shelbot.

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com