• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Don't forget to drop a review on iTunes for the podcast sometime or send a donation in for the show.

Main Menu

Big Bang Theory

Started by Geekyfanboy, September 25, 2007, 08:59:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rico

Rico

Preview for tonight's new episode.  Looks like fun!

The Big Bang Theory - The Toast Derivation

spaltor

I'm beginning to get frustrated with this show.  Is it just me, or does it seem to have gotten much more "mainstream" this season?  Where are the geek jokes?  The unviersity?  The research?  It's become about weird friends and their quest for sex.

billybob476

Well I'd say it has always been about weird friends and their quest for sex.

Bryancd

Quote from: billybob476 on February 25, 2011, 09:43:38 AM

Sounds like my teenage years pretty much well summed up.

billybob476

Quote from: Bryancd on February 25, 2011, 09:49:34 AM
Quote from: billybob476 on February 25, 2011, 09:43:38 AM

Sounds like my teenage years pretty much well summed up.

/seconded.

spaltor

Right, but it used to be more than that.  And it also used to be done differently.  I don't know how to describe it, really. 

There used to be something different and appealing about this show, and now it just seems like any other sitcom.  Almost like it's being dumbed down for a general audience.

Rico

I wouldn't call it dumbed down.  I think they are just trying new things.  It's also partly because they are bringing more girls into the series.  Keep in mind this season they have had Wil Wheaton, the Indiana Jones episode, the costume Justice League show, and others.  And most weeks there are a ton of geek-jokes - many Trek related ones, like Penny and her "shields" being up.  I would agree the show has changed and evolved but I still find plenty of geek moments and enjoy it a lot each week.

jedijeff

I find a lot of shows have Geek references in them, maybe more subtle then Big Bang Theory, but it is out there a lot. Shows like How I met your Mother, The Office and 30 Rock are littered with cool geek references, and not in a mocking manner either. Every time they go to Barneys apartment or house in How I met your Mother, there is something geeky cool there.

I must admit, I was a bit let down on this weeks episode, as I was hoping for more Levar Burton, but the one seen seemed to fit well. Maybe he will be back in a future episode along with evil Wil Wheaton :) .

sheldor

This hasn't been my favorite season but still enjoyable

billybob476

I think what you guys are seeing is the influence a girlfriend is having on Sheldon. This season seems to be concentrating a bit more on him learning how to handle different social situations and less on firing one joke after the other. It's not dumbed down, just...different.

spaltor

Maybe that's it - I don't like Amy at. all.  She's a copy of Lilith (Cheers), and IMHO a bad one.  Bernadette is okay, but her kinks seem unnecessary.

I know stereotypes are funny, but could they give us a geeky girl that's actually attractive?  Or an attractive guy that's not dumb as a brick?

billybob476

Waht about Raj's sister?

Jobydrone

Hey watch what you say about my girl Blossom! 
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Rico

Quote from: spaltor on February 28, 2011, 08:31:06 AM
Maybe that's it - I don't like Amy at. all.  She's a copy of Lilith (Cheers), and IMHO a bad one.  Bernadette is okay, but her kinks seem unnecessary.

I know stereotypes are funny, but could they give us a geeky girl that's actually attractive?  Or an attractive guy that's not dumb as a brick?

I think Bernadette is very pretty, and pretty geeky too.

If you want another attractive geek girl on TV right now, watch "No Ordinary Family."  Autumn Reeser who plays Katie on there is a huge comic book fan and geek.  She's always quoting characters from comics, "Star Wars" things and so forth.